Sponsored

Cars.com rates the 2015 Mustang at Detroit debut

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
This site (cars.com) apparently decided to rate the top cars that debuted in the 2014 Detroit auto show. Mustang is in here.

AB: Loser
The Chevy Camaro is outselling the Mustang with an older design featuring a lower-quality interior, and Ford responds by making a new Mustang ... that looks like the old one? Ford played it too safe with this new Mustang, softening the design of the current one but breaking no new ground whatsoever. The next Camaro is not far away, and I bet Chevy is smelling blood right about now.

JW: Loser

I expected to like it more than I did. The silhouette is nice, but overall the combination of new cues with its retro substrate looks awkward. It's chunky in front and shrink-wrapped in back. I'm also bummed that the backseat is less accommodating. Is that a shortcoming in this car type? Arguably not. But the larger backseat was a bonus in the previous generation, especially compared with the Camaro.

MH: Winner
I'm not wild about the new front end, particularly how the hood drops at the front of the car, but the fastback roofline looks great, as does the interior. Here's hoping it's at least as fun to drive as the prior generation, which is one of the things that distinguished that car from its competitors.

JB: Loser
I stared at the Mustang for what seemed like an eternity trying to figure out what was wrong. After all, I loved the way it looked in photos. The problem was forward of the cabin where the Mustang is bulky and long, appearing like a different car compared to the windshield rearward.

http://www.bankrate.com/partners/cm...s.aspx?ec_id=cmcta_01_comm_aut_image_headline
Sponsored

eurospeed

Threads
Reaction score
This site (cars.com) apparently decided to rate the top cars that debuted in the 2014 Detroit auto show. Mustang is in here.

JW: Loser

I expected to like it more than I did. The silhouette is nice, but overall the combination of new cues with its retro substrate looks awkward. It's chunky in front and shrink-wrapped in back. I'm also bummed that the backseat is less accommodating. Is that a shortcoming in this car type? Arguably not. But the larger backseat was a bonus in the previous generation, especially compared with the Camaro.
Anyone who focuses on the reduced back seat of a performance car is automatically disqualified.

Mriley

The funny thing is the 2015's rear interior room is more spacious in every respect. I'm constantly amazed how so called experts can't do a basic google search before making claims like this.
attachment.jpg

Sponsored

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
I generally find the more 'critics' dislike something the better it is in reality.

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
The funny thing is the 2015's rear interior room is more spacious in every respect. I'm constantly amazed how so called experts can't do a basic google search before making claims like this.
attachment.jpg
Isn't it amazing how when giving an opinion on something people just make stuff up based on their gut. This idiot critics gut told him the backseat was smaller so he wrote it.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Well, those specs don't make sense either. Rear headroom looks to be much too large. I do remember hearing the engineers saying the rear was larger, but I don't think anyone knows by exactly how much. Also, I'm pretty sure the camaro is newer than the mustang, at least in terms of platform age. Finally I think they are really missing why some have avoided the current mustang. I personally don't want one until the suspension is updated, and right now the camaro has the advantage there. Next year the mustang is going to do really well IMO.

-T

EDIT: I see the issue with the specs is that one line got duplicated. Take that line out and the numbers make more sense.

-T

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Isn't it amazing how when giving an opinion on something people just make stuff up based on their gut. This idiot critics gut told him the backseat was smaller so he wrote it.

I think people here are doing the same thing with the engine compartment, looking at a few poor photographs and assuming it's more cramped. It won't be until we have the cars in person before these gut feelings will get a dose of reality.

Standman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chrysler 300 SRT8
AB: Loser
The Chevy Camaro is outselling the Mustang with an older design featuring a lower-quality interior, and Ford responds by making a new Mustang ... that looks like the old one? Ford played it too safe with this new Mustang, softening the design of the current one but breaking no new ground whatsoever.
Do these guys actually get paid for this ignorance?

Sponsored

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
Do these guys actually get paid for this ignorance?
Proof of just how subjective design is.
There are people adamantly declaring it looks too much like the old car. Others are saying i t dosnt look like a mustang, looks like a kia/honda, ford ruined it etc.
I think it looks exactly like a 2015 mustang.
The cars.com comments are pretty odd. As someone who has seen it in person, their criticisms of the proportions don't make any sense to me. I've been obsessed with cars since 4th grade, done graphic design and 3d work for close to 20 years, stare at/work on at 65-70 and Fox mustangs all day for 5-7 days a week for the last 7 years and less then 10% of the design criticisms I've heard make any sense to me. Its one thing not to like it, but so much of what I hear makes me wonder if I'm looking at the same car.

Rampant

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rampantrenders.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
MBC (for now)
...less then 10% of the design criticisms I've heard make any sense to me. Its one thing not to like it, but so much of what I hear makes me wonder if I'm looking at the same car.
+1. It is like people make a snap judgement then try to come up with intelligent-sounding words (proportions, greenhouse, etc.) To explain/justify it. Or, they just try to come up with an ugly car in their mind to compare it too.

But it has always been this way - with every new car. People need time to warn up to the design and get used to it. Then it will be the best looking generation ever.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
What a bunch of idiots. Misinformed, and completely judging a car based on looks, which is subjective. I've never liked cars.com except for their used car classifieds, which is still outdone by Auto Trader and Craig's list.

Nate408

Threads
Reaction score
Purely subjective opinions. Personally, I think the s550 looks worlds better than any Camaro made since the 60's. Also I like that the hood drops at the very front. Shows that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I think the car mags are so used to beating on the Mustang for being crude and unrefined (rightly or wrongly) that they are going to continue beating on the new Mustang out of reflex for a while.

I've about given up on the Mustang getting a fair shake from the car mags.
Sponsored