Sponsored

Carbon Fiber Driveshaft coming soon!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Not sure if you are actually asking, or if this was rhetorical, but my understanding is as follows:

Top speed is reached at redline in 5th, the 1:1 ratio.

Therefore, max rotational speed of the driveshaft will be equal to engine RPM in that gear, or 8250 RPM.

-T
That's the information they need to calculate the maximum driveshaft RPM - regardless of what gear yields the (any) car's maximum top speed. A car with a crazy amount of HP might hit its top speed in 6th gear.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Updated OP with a few install pics and initial review.
Can you comment on clearances such as the minimum at any point at full suspension compression? Is that shaft 3.5" or 4" in diameter?

Looks good.

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
It seems odd to me that this was produced without them having the benefit of having a GT350 available to them or, at least having an OEM GT350 drive shaft to work from.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Can you comment on clearances such as the minimum at any point at full suspension compression? Is that shaft 3.5" or 4" in diameter?

Looks good.
Driveshaft doesn't move with suspension on IRS.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Brainfart. Excellent point.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
A lot of folks can read fords mind.

Ford engineers are not infallible, they made a great car, but don't think for a second it wasn't a cost issue. They had pricing numbers from a very good Camaro, and a relative ceiling with the pretty darned good C7 vette lineup. They new where the performance was going to be and also new the best price targets in order to be sure it was positioned for success.

These same all knowing engineers cut coolers and speced a different transmission to save money. Dont be daft.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
A lot of folks can read fords mind.

Ford engineers are not infallible, they made a great car, but don't think for a second it wasn't a cost issue. They had pricing numbers from a very good Camaro, and a relative ceiling with the pretty darned good C7 vette lineup. They new where the performance was going to be and also new the best price targets in order to be sure it was positioned for success.
No engineer is infallible, but most folks from the outside looking don't ever get the full picture of what's going on. Cost and function are obviously 2 key design requirements, but far from the only ones.

These same all knowing engineers cut coolers and speced a different transmission to save money. Dont be daft.
That's a pretty silly statement. Final product definitions are very rarely dictated solely by the engineering design team. The higher the sale price, the more stake holders and the longer the design review process is. Very rarely will an engineer willingly sign off on an inferior design for the sole reason to save money, typically those types of consolations don't come until later on when the over-all project is too costly and the risk is taken to eliminate features in order to maximize gross margin (at least in my experience)

Hughespj47

HughesPJ47
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 Track Pack, '09 MINI Cooper S, 94 SHO
Engineering is all about compromise and cost. Don't be fooled. At on time the ordering guide listed a CF front brake option, that subsequently disappeared because engineering came up with a cheaper alternative that performed just as well.

If Ford didn't use a CF driveshaft it was likely to meet the price point the bean counters and marketeers were specifying. This logic may have led to leaving coolers off the base 350 and Tech Pack cars - which in hind sight was a big mistake as those cars were lumped into the same category as "the most track capable" by the marketeers. Granted, the engineers could have missed something, but there is plenty of blame to spread around.

Sponsored

Driveshaft Shop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1931 Ford
First, I have to thank Frank at Dss(driveshaft shop) for being super friendly, and helpful.

For the past couple days I've been working with DSS, and taking all the necessary measurements needed to build the first one of these for the Gt350.

They are going to begin building it tomorrow. I should have it in about a week. Once I receive it and verify that it fits, and is within spec, these should be immediately available to the public.

I will report back with pics and weight savings as soon as I get it.

Update:

Received, and installed the driveshaft today!

Once again I really want to thank Frank at DSS for being super helpful, and getting this thing built, and shipped out to me lightning fast.

First, here is a picture comparing the new DSS GT350 shaft (top), with the DSS '15-'16 GT shaft (middle), and the stock GT350 shaft (bottom).
[/URL]

Before installing the new shaft I weighed all three shafts.

The OEM GT350 shaft weighed in at 27lbs
DSS CF shaft for '15 Gt 18lbs
DSS GT350 CF shaft 19lbs

That equals an 8lb reduction in rotating mass. So.. Is that going to equate to an increase in power put down to the ground? Probably not much if any, but I think of the weight loss as icing on top of the many advantages of a carbon fiber driveshaft.

Here are a couple pics during the install.
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

After installing it, and making sure everything was in spec, I took it out for a test ride. Right away I noticed a newfound smoothness that's honestly hard to put my finger on. It almost seemed quieter if that makes sense. Also it doesn't seem to shock the tires quite as bad on firm 1-2 shifts, and overall clutch engagement just seems smoother.

In total I put about 60 miles of street driving on it today and so far, so good. No additional vibrations or noise whatsoever. I have a track weekend booked for April 9th, and 10th where we will find out for sure if it will put up with some real Voodoo punishment. But as of know I couldn't be happier with the product or the customer service from The Driveshaft Shop...

We actually used a friends RTA for measuring Stereo sound in a Camaro 9" car we had done, It actually dropped 3DB changing from Aluminum to Carbon so yes, it actually is quieter.

Driveshaft Shop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1931 Ford
It seems odd to me that this was produced without them having the benefit of having a GT350 available to them or, at least having an OEM GT350 drive shaft to work from.

The OP was a pleasure to work with, We felt confident the dimensions and info given was strong enough to make a test shaft, one more was sent out at the same time. may be a few days to hear from them.

Driveshaft Shop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1931 Ford
Not sure if you are actually asking, or if this was rhetorical, but my understanding is as follows:

Top speed is reached at redline in 5th, the 1:1 ratio.

Therefore, max rotational speed of the driveshaft will be equal to engine RPM in that gear, or 8250 RPM.

-T
Like i had said some of the info was generic, but making it clearer for the S550 GT350 it would be as follows (i think i read its a 3:73 rear)

say 180MPH X 336 = 60480 x 3:73 = 225590.4 then divide by tire size (ill guess 28") would mean the shaft is spinning 8056.8 Rpm (@180mph)