Sponsored

Car gonna be too loud...need advice...

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Been getting some awesome advice regarding the path forward for my car, and am seriously leaning away from FI. However this means full bolt ons and thus headers. Currently the car has a Roush Catback, and to be honest, I think it's already too loud. Add catted headers, I'm afraid it won't be drive-able. So, what would y'all recommend with catted headers (going catted to combat the exhaust smell)? Would like a deep sound, no rasp, no drone, and not too loud. Willing to completely switch out and sell my catback if there is a better much quieter option for me. Don't get me wrong, I want some volume, but I think it would just be nuts with headers as is given no resonator and those Roush mufflers.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I have the 2018+ active exhaust mufflers with the stock resonator and exhaust manifolds. Full open is just loud enough, no rasp, no drone, and to me, sounds damn near perfect. I've been meaning to install the electronics to enable the motors, and control the valves, but it's been two years, and I just haven't gotten around to it. I do plan on installing an H-pipe, so that will motivate me to complete the install. Of course, if you go with quad exhaust, you need to change your rear valence.

Personally, I think the Roush cat-back sounds like crap. My buddy's car had those mufflers with the Roush X-pipe, and it was one of the most obnoxious cars I'd ever heard.

JR

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Been getting some awesome advice regarding the path forward for my car, and am seriously leaning away from FI. However this means full bolt ons and thus headers. Currently the car has a Roush Catback, and to be honest, I think it's already too loud. Add catted headers, I'm afraid it won't be drive-able. So, what would y'all recommend with catted headers (going catted to combat the exhaust smell)? Would like a deep sound, no rasp, no drone, and not too loud. Willing to completely switch out and sell my catback if there is a better much quieter option for me. Don't get me wrong, I want some volume, but I think it would just be nuts with headers as is given no resonator and those Roush mufflers.
I would go with Borla S-type mufflers. Or the S-type catback.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would go with Borla S-type mufflers. Or the S-type catback.
I had Borla Stingers on my 4.6 car and loved the way they sounded. I’m am still concerned that the SType would be too loud without the resonator on this car.

Sponsored

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
Thermal R&D with the helmholtz resonators

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I had Borla Stingers on my 4.6 car and loved the way they sounded. I’m am still concerned that the SType would be too loud without the resonator on this car.
You could trade your Roush catback for a stock exhaust and then just add the S-type axle back. Or you could replace your current midpipe with a Magnaflow TruX and replace the Roush mufflers with S-types.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to everyone for the input. Haven’t ever heard Thermal, and isn’t Corsa like realllly loud? Just looking around online I’m thinking either the Ford by Borla Touring kit or the MagnaFlow kit. Both seem fairy tame without headers, which may be just right with headers.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Thanks to everyone for the input. Haven’t ever heard Thermal, and isn’t Corsa like realllly loud? Just looking around online I’m thinking either the Ford by Borla Touring kit or the MagnaFlow kit. Both seem fairy tame without headers, which may be just right with headers.

If doing MF avoid the competition version as the drone is pretty heavy.

The Corsa sport / touring is not as loud as the xtreme if that's what you have heard.

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
I would seriously look at the XForce cat-back system with the Varex mufflers that is an active exhaust cat-back system. The cat-back has their resonator on it and its pretty quiet with the system fully closed even with long tube headers. If you want to make some noise, then you can open up the exhaust with the remote or by your smartphone if you go with their optional controller. Best of both worlds if you ask me. I have the Roush axle back with H-pipe and catted long tube headers and my car is obnoxiously loud. I''m probably going to get the XForce axle back so I can tone my car down some when I want to or if that sneaky cop comes flying up on you.lol

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold

Corsa Xtreme is. The Sport isn't crazy. It's not the quietest or the loudest, but has a great tone.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If doing MF avoid the competition version as the drone is pretty heavy.

The Corsa sport / touring is not as loud as the xtreme if that's what you have heard.
Sweet thanks for the tip on the MF. And for recommending Corsa.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would seriously look at the XForce cat-back system with the Varex mufflers that is an active exhaust cat-back system. The cat-back has their resonator on it and its pretty quiet with the system fully closed even with long tube headers. If you want to make some noise, then you can open up the exhaust with the remote or by your smartphone if you go with their optional controller. Best of both worlds if you ask me. I have the Roush axle back with H-pipe and catted long tube headers and my car is obnoxiously loud. I''m probably going to get the XForce axle back so I can tone my car down some when I want to or if that sneaky cop comes flying up on you.lol
Hmmm I’ll have to look into these. Just a quick search and I see they aren’t that pricey for an active system. When you said active I was immediately thinking they are gonna be too high. Will listen to some vids on them.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With catless headers:

Honestly you’re right man, the tone, and noticeable lack of rasp, these sound the best of what I’ve heard. Still quite loud with catless headers, but probably not near as obnoxious as my Roush setup would be even with catted headers.
Sponsored