Cam Cover Bolt Removal Issue - ?

Flye

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, PP1, 1996 Explorer (since new)
Installing a FPP Oil-Air Separator
2018 5.0L

Step 2: Remove Cam Cover bolt..............

Is there a 'trick' to getting a simple cam cover bolt out?

The bolt is totally 'loose', can move back and forth with fingertips, move it around, feels totally out of the head, etc., but it will not 'release' from the cam cover.

It appears to have a 'collar' in it that I'm assuming keeps you from overtightening the bolt and cracking the cover. The collar is 'spinning' and I've attempted to hold it stationary while trying to spin the bolt, no difference. I've put fairly significant amount of 'pull' on the bolt and it simply won't come out.

Again, the bolt is very loose and is NOT still in the head. It seems to be 'catching' on something and I can only imagine it is the threads hanging, but before I break the cover or something else or get threads crossed in head, I decided to put it all back together and touch base here.

Any thoughts on why a simple cam cover bolt won't come out?

Thanks,

OP

Flye

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, PP1, 1996 Explorer (since new)
Bolt has collar somewhat permanently attached. Collar is tight fit in the cover. Had to just keep increasing the 'pull' and it finally popped out.... In case anyone else ever tackles and has same issue.

Last edited:

Michael_vroomvroom

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020 MT, EU-spec (partially, but not quite PP1) Magneride
Struggled a bit with this myself today, until I put on a pair of needle-nose pliers exactly like they show in the PDF-file from Ford Performance. Then I could just just lift it straight out in a second, after pulling and wrenching with no luck for several minutes.

Just a "FYI" for anyone else that happens to struggle with it, since this was the first hit when I googled for help.

63 - Late Model Restoration - 1