Sponsored

Cam Cover Bolt Removal Issue - ?

Flye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, PP1, 1996 Explorer (since new)
Installing a FPP Oil-Air Separator
2018 5.0L

Step 2: Remove Cam Cover bolt..............

Is there a 'trick' to getting a simple cam cover bolt out?

The bolt is totally 'loose', can move back and forth with fingertips, move it around, feels totally out of the head, etc., but it will not 'release' from the cam cover.

It appears to have a 'collar' in it that I'm assuming keeps you from overtightening the bolt and cracking the cover. The collar is 'spinning' and I've attempted to hold it stationary while trying to spin the bolt, no difference. I've put fairly significant amount of 'pull' on the bolt and it simply won't come out.

Again, the bolt is very loose and is NOT still in the head. It seems to be 'catching' on something and I can only imagine it is the threads hanging, but before I break the cover or something else or get threads crossed in head, I decided to put it all back together and touch base here.

Any thoughts on why a simple cam cover bolt won't come out?

Thanks,
Sponsored

OP
OP

Flye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, PP1, 1996 Explorer (since new)
Bolt has collar somewhat permanently attached. Collar is tight fit in the cover. Had to just keep increasing the 'pull' and it finally popped out.... In case anyone else ever tackles and has same issue.

Last edited:

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Struggled a bit with this myself today, until I put on a pair of needle-nose pliers exactly like they show in the PDF-file from Ford Performance. Then I could just just lift it straight out in a second, after pulling and wrenching with no luck for several minutes.

Just a "FYI" for anyone else that happens to struggle with it, since this was the first hit when I googled for help.

vdngo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Van
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Bolt has collar somewhat permanently attached. Collar is tight fit in the cover. Had to just keep increasing the 'pull' and it finally popped out.... In case anyone else ever tackles and has same issue.
Glad I found this discussion string... so i was able to get the bolt out, but the "collar" is still in there, do I want to take this out as well? It looks like the bolt stud from the kit already has a "collar"?

DRAGOON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
21 VB mach1 HP 6SP
Glad I found this discussion string... so i was able to get the bolt out, but the "collar" is still in there, do I want to take this out as well? It looks like the bolt stud from the kit already has a "collar"?
This is the OG bolt that came out of my cover. 1 pic shows the “collar” slid up to the bolt head washer. The other pic shows the “collar” slid down towards the threads as far as it goes. The “collar” stayed on the bolt as I removed it. So, yea, if this collar is still in the cover hole and all you have is a naked bolt, you’ll need to remove it.

D84E6A09-2869-4DB1-BBD4-DB5BF5E55417.jpeg

D817EC6A-BCF7-468E-840B-11D88ADE7227.jpeg

Sponsored

vdngo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Van
Vehicle(s)
Great! Thanks for the info… looks like I’ve got some more work to do
This is the OG bolt that came out of my cover. 1 pic shows the “collar” slid up to the bolt head washer. The other pic shows the “collar” slid down towards the threads as far as it goes. The “collar” stayed on the bolt as I removed it. So, yea, if this collar is still in the cover hole and all you have is a naked bolt, you’ll need to remove it.

D84E6A09-2869-4DB1-BBD4-DB5BF5E55417.jpeg

D817EC6A-BCF7-468E-840B-11D88ADE7227.jpeg
Thanks!… I assume it just took some wrangling to get it out? The bolt came out fair easily after some pulling and wiggling.

DRAGOON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
21 VB mach1 HP 6SP
Great! Thanks for the info… looks like I’ve got some more work to do

Thanks!… I assume it just took some wrangling to get it out? The bolt came out fair easily after some pulling and wiggling.
I think a trim removal tool should be able to get the stuck collar out rather than the needle nose pliers shown in the instruction. Try lifting the collar a bit for enough clearance to get edge of tool under it and pry up. When I did mine, it was a good tug to remove it thinking why is it so hard to get out ? It’s a tight fit that collar in the cover hole.

vdngo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Van
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the help!

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
shout out to this thread, didn't know wtf I was doing wrong lol. FRPP instructions could be a little bit more specific to just use needle nose pliers and grab the whole thing like this...
image.jpg
Sponsored