Californians - front plate or no?

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
So, I'm debating whether to put the front plate on my new Mustang. I've gotten various opinions on whether California po-po actually ticket for not having the front plate installed, and I don't want to drill holes in my front bumper just to make the car look ugly. Thoughts?

Alternative question: if you're in Cali and did put on your front plates, did you use an alternative method to avoid said holes? If so, what did you use? Thanks!
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Not in Cali but we have a front plate law in IL as well. Most officers here don’t care unless they have another reason to pull you over, then they’ll write you up for it. Sto N Sho makes a nice product, I’m probably going to order one just to have on hand just in case. Plenty of Mustang’s, Vette’s, etc. around here that don’t run front plates.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
So, I'm debating whether to put the front plate on my new Mustang. I've gotten various opinions on whether California po-po actually ticket for not having the front plate installed, and I don't want to drill holes in my front bumper just to make the car look ugly. Thoughts?

Alternative question: if you're in Cali and did put on your front plates, did you use an alternative method to avoid said holes? If so, what did you use? Thanks!
Cops don’t really care but parking/meter maids will ticket you
The good news is that it’s ony a $10 fixit ticket

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I was struggling with this same issue here in Ontario. There are like 8 other provinces in Canada that don't require it but the Higher Ups in Police services here in Ontario seem to have less crime-fighting ability than the other province police forces because they have said it makes their job more difficult if they can't see a front plate. The funny thing is the rank and file, the folks who actually enforce, have said "Ummmm, why would I waste my time or yours? We are already running from call to call, ain't nobody got time for dat".

However, that being said.I know of a Porsche and an NSX that park in my business complex underground without front plates. A coworker of mine was driving a 21 GT500 without front plates on many times cops won't stop you just for the paperwork. It's not worth their time.

So, I haven't drilled in yet.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
We don`t have this requirement in my state, but I would for sure run one if I was in Cali.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the Sto N Sho recommendation. Looks trivial to install without any drilling and makes for easy removal.

Just looked it up and the fine in Cali for not displaying the plate is $200. As someone who's gotten nuisance tickets before just because someone was bored, it's probably not worth the risk to me if I don't have to drill any holes.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I’m in Cali, the dealership put a front plate on when I got my car. I took it off and had the holes filled in by a body shop. I don’t have anything in the front. If I get a ticket I’ll double sided tape the plate to the front, get it checked off and then remove the plate again.

I have never gotten pulled over for that and have never gotten a ticket in any of my cars for no front plate. There’s a chance you can get a ticket for it, but it’s not very likely.

yoshi37

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium
I use the Sly Brackets with leveler add-on. It mounts using the lower grille so there's no issue with ground clearance when going in and out of my driveway. I am pretty sure the Sto n sho would have had issues with scraping.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
I don't have a plate on mine here in california. I've owned my 2014 since October 2013 with no front plate and never once has it been an issue.

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I didnt run a front plate on my 2003 Cobra for like 9 years and never had an issue. My 2017 has one cuz the stupid dealership drilled it in there so i just left it on.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I use the Sly Brackets with leveler add-on. It mounts using the lower grille so there's no issue with ground clearance when going in and out of my driveway. I am pretty sure the Sto n sho would have had issues with scraping.
I have a few buddies that have them on their S550’s and they don’t scrape, although they’re stock suspension. If you’re lowered, I could see that as a potential issue

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Thanks for the Sto N Sho recommendation. Looks trivial to install without any drilling and makes for easy removal.

Just looked it up and the fine in Cali for not displaying the plate is $200. As someone who's gotten nuisance tickets before just because someone was bored, it's probably not worth the risk to me if I don't have to drill any holes.
It’s $200 if you don’t fix it
And $10 if you fix it and have a cop sign the ticket

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
It’s $200 if you don’t fix it
And $10 if you fix it and have a cop sign the ticket
Well, that's great to know and it certainly changes things. Thanks!

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
I run no front plate even though it's required in Minnesota.
I've done it for over 13 years on several cars and never been talked to.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
No front plate on my truck for 20 years, none on my car for 5. Then again, I don't go out and try to attract LEO's with stunt driving.
Sponsored