Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
Don't know if this has happened to others but happened to me for the second time.
I usually don't drive my GT350 in the rain, but here in Florida in the summertime you occasionally get caught in it.
First time I was driving maybe 45 right after a big cloudburst with a lot of water still on the road. All of the sudden I started hearing this roaring sound from the rear of the car. I slowed down a little and the sound didn't change much. I almost pulled over to see if all my wheel bearings had went out at once. That's what an eerie feeling I had. Soon I drove out of the wetness on dry road and all was fine then.
Second time I was driving 80 on I75 when we ran into a torrential downpour, (It was one of those where you couldn't drive over 30-40 because you just couldn't see). Again a lot of water on the road, and again this god awful vibrating harmonic started to develop. (Sounded like a 100 watt speaker in each ear with bad static feedback), and again when we ran out of the water to dry road, it all went away.
Sponsored

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
Don't know if this has happened to others but happened to me for the second time.
I usually don't drive my GT350 in the rain, but here in Florida in the summertime you occasionally get caught in it.
First time I was driving maybe 45 right after a big cloudburst with a lot of water still on the road. All of the sudden I started hearing this roaring sound from the rear of the car. I slowed down a little and the sound didn't change much. I almost pulled over to see if all my wheel bearings had went out at once. That's what an eerie feeling I had. Soon I drove out of the wetness on dry road and all was fine then.
Second time I was driving 80 on I75 when we ran into a torrential downpour, (It was one of those where you couldn't drive over 30-40 because you just couldn't see). Again a lot of water on the road, and again this god awful vibrating harmonic started to develop. (Sounded like a 100 watt speaker in each ear with bad static feedback), and again when we ran out of the water to dry road, it all went away.
Water thrown into the wheel wells by the tires perhaps?

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
This wasn’t you was it? ;-)

OP
OP
JohnVallo

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
No, not me.
That was just a light drizzle..., till the end... then a heavy drizzle.. in the pants.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
About 44 years ago I was driving in heavy rain on the freeway in a Ford Pinto. Wide tires and a few performance mods. Hydroplaned and did a complete 360, never stopped. The good Lord was watching over me that night as I never hit anything except my ego.

Sponsored

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Accelerating during a lane change in the rain on crowned roads with most likely bald-ish tires? Oof.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This car does make a lot of noise in heavy rain due to the giant tires and ground effects of the aero. But not sure it's to the level you're describing. Do you have video of it? (Dash cam?)

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
I posted a thread a few days ago about a random vibration starting during acceleration on the way back from a short trip (Dallas to Austin). But the entire drive, it was raining. When I made a pit stop, I noticed all of a sudden that during acceleration (especially low speed acceleration up to 3500/4000 rpms in 1st-3rd gear), an awful vibrating harmonic started happening. Highway speeds was mostly fine, but still somewhat noticeable. No codes, engine revved fine without hesitation and oil level/pressure totally fine also.

Went to drive to work a couple days later, and it was gone. Strangest thing. I checked to make sure I didn't toss a wheel weight on the way home, but Discount Tire said everything was good.

Did anything else come from this for you?

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
About 44 years ago I was driving in heavy rain on the freeway in a Ford Pinto. Wide tires and a few performance mods. Hydroplaned and did a complete 360, never stopped. The good Lord was watching over me that night as I never hit anything except my ego.
I did that in my z28 H.O back in the 80's. Full 360 in the rain. Car behind me when it happened. One moment, he was in my rear view, next in my windshield and then all of a sudden in my rear view again. Happened at about 45mph. I just downshifted and kept going.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Wonder if the brain on the car activated the ABS and/or other nanny systems when the windshield wipers are activated?..

I don’t put anything past cars with “weather modes” whether they’re manually activated or not.
Sponsored