Sponsored

Bullitt Supercharger

Is it sacrilege to supercharge the Bullitt?

• Total voters

19bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I am very tempted to do a Whipple Stage 2 on the Bullitt, what is everybody's thoughts? At first I was not going to mod Bullitt at all but when I saw I could get it to 800hp with $10k and still have that crackling rev matching 6-speed and sleeper look I am real tempted. Has anybody supercharged theirs or have any thoughts about it? Only other mods I would do with it are oversized heat exchanger probably, and larger tires. I think brakes and suspension are fine (I know suspension can use some work for wheel hop but I don't feel like opening up that rabbit hole right now). It is also a bummer to lose the strut bar over the engine and the open air shelby intake, but a plus that the whipple can be painted green to match the Bullitt.
Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I put a whipple stage 1 complete kit on my Bullitt. Made 625 @ 7,000 and 675 @ 7,800 SAE RWHP. More than enough power. Still doesn't fix the long gearing, though. Have you ever thought about just putting a 456 axle ratio in? That is my plan on the Mach 1.

I also have an '18 R1080 with a Procharger. It runs excellent making similar power to the Whipple but, you can keep the strut tower brace and the install is 1/3 the time. Similar pricing. I think I might like it better. If i SC the Mach, it will be a procharger.

OP
OP
19bullitt

19bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I put a whipple stage 1 complete kit on my Bullitt. Made 625 @ 7,000 and 675 @ 7,800 SAE RWHP. More than enough power. Still doesn't fix the long gearing, though. Have you ever thought about just putting a 456 axle ratio in? That is my plan on the Mach 1.

I also have an '18 R1080 with a Procharger. It runs excellent making similar power to the Whipple but, you can keep the strut tower brace and the install is 1/3 the time. Similar pricing. I think I might like it better. If i SC the Mach, it will be a procharger.

Appreciate the input. I hadn’t thought about changing gears, I did on my old mustang that was N/A but I thought longer gears would be better for supercharged? ProCharger sounds interesting too, a ProCharger Mach 1 would be a beast

Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I don't understand folks who get an SC on a Bullitt. First, I doubt most drivers are better than the stock car. Second, you'd kill the already compromised (but acceptable) handling of the car with the extra weight in front. And third, an MT-82 D4 will never be a good track car, so what the heck do you have left? And with no power-train warranty? If anything, those folks should start with the rear end, and go from there if needed.

Chente04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I don't understand folks who get an SC on a Bullitt. First, I doubt most drivers are better than the stock car. Second, you'd kill the already compromised (but acceptable) handling of the car with the extra weight in front. And third, an MT-82 D4 will never be a good track car, so what the heck do you have left? And with no power-train warranty? If anything, those folks should start with the rear end, and go from there if needed.

Sounds like your just against SC in general since none of your points were directly tired to a Bullitt. And he never said anything about tracking the car. Some people just like to go fast in a straight line lol. I used to have a 06 Supercharged Mustang and never went to the track.

As for OP the accountant in me says $10K is a large chuck of change to throw down on a SC. The car guy in me says get it have fun, return to stock and sell the SC kit when your done.

Sponsored

OP
OP
19bullitt

19bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Sound and raw power lol Chente04 is correct I don't plan on tracking it just cruising around town and occasionally letting a burnout rip. My justification in my head is the new GT500 is $100k+. My Bullitt is paid off. For $10k I can have an animal. And I 100% agree it is more power than I can handle lol Does not deter me from it, thank god for traction and stability control.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I love reading this post. The comment above a few posts says that you don't plan on tracking the car and you don't need the extra weight. I put a Whipple stage one kit on my bullet and it added exactly 92 lb. With me and the driver's seat the car weighed 3920. I didn't notice the weight at all driving it. And if it's not a track car then it's more of a muscle car right? In the case weight distribution is irrelevant except for traction at the quarter mile drag strip. But I can tell you that the torque from that blower made that car really really fun to drive. Try it you'll like it.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Supercharging Mustangs quite co on down under with great result. Whipped, Roush, Harr
I love reading this post. The comment above a few posts says that you don't plan on tracking the car and you don't need the extra weight. I put a Whipple stage one kit on my bullet and it added exactly 92 lb. With me and the driver's seat the car weighed 3920. I didn't notice the weight at all driving it. And if it's not a track car then it's more of a muscle car right? In the case weight distribution is irrelevant except for traction at the quarter mile drag strip. But I can tell you that the torque from that blower made that car really really fun to drive. Try it you'll like it.
So the extra torque comes in low enough to impact standing start acceleration, as from what I read elsewhere I got the impressions that the SC impact was higher in the rev range and didn't do much low down?

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
It depends on the blower positive displacement blowers have more off idle torque. The problem with the Bullitt in the 18 and UPS is just a gearing. Yeah you get a lot of power down low but it also puts strain on the clutch because the gearing isn't as good as it should be. That's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
And he never said anything about tracking the car.
Sorry; I meant drag, not track :). A manual MT-82 D4 is just not good for quick launches, so a supercharged Bullitt would be the equivalent of an early 70s muscle car IMO. It'd only be good to go fast on a straight line. So might as well buy an old Mustang with a live axle and save some money :).

OP
OP
19bullitt

19bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Sorry; I meant drag, not track :). A manual MT-82 D4 is just not good for quick launches, so a supercharged Bullitt would be the equivalent of an early 70s muscle car IMO. It'd only be good to go fast on a straight line. So might as well buy an old Mustang with a live axle and save some money :).
I also don’t drag race it, 40rolls and 70mph pulls are badass too it’s okay to make power higher up. And cold start on an 800hp V8 is pure bliss. It’s the little things lol

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Okay not a Bullitt but I have a '17 GT base MT82, and put a Ford Performance PP3 on (similar mods to the Bullitt over the GT: GT350 intake, TB and IM, though on a Gen2). Similar speed (in a straight line) to a stock Bullitt, 472hp, lighter and shorter gears. Was fun. I then went to the dark side and installed a G5 stage2 Whipple. Wasted the $ on the PP3, it's noticeably heavy up front definitely hurting the handling (esp on a base GT), and so long warranty. But it went from a nice, fast muscle/pony car to a BEAST. Completely different experience...scary fast. Highly recommended.

But the Bullitt is special, I'd say there's maybe a slight tinge of sacrilege frankensteining one. I'd still do it. If you don't need massive torque under your foot at low/moderate rpm, the Procharger sounds good and you keep your (special) IM. If you think you'd like a big block feel (still with a massive top end) the Whipple is awesome.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I put a Vortech HO polished kit on my 2009 Bullitt. It was possibly the nicest looking setup I have ever seen. Got looks everywhere I went. And that sucking sound! If you are going to keep your Bullitt, put the Procharger polished or Vortech. As stated above, you can keep the cool strut brace but will still have to give up the reinforcement brackets inside the grill.