Built Motor Low Dyno Numbers

OP
OP

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
I know Aaron, but not that well. Seems like he knows his shit. I'll see what I can find out and PM you.
Yeah man if you can get any info from your guys over there that would be really helpful! Thanks!
Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
This is darn pretty good. Looks like the low end power is limited due to cams but it opens up nice and smooth later on! Imagine puting this motor in a brand new miata lol! You wouldn’t even feel the loss of power in low rpm due to curb weight;)

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
If ya don't mind me asking, how much was the build? And obviously this wasn't done for efficiency lol but what kinda mileage are ya gettin?

Saywhen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350,2015 f350 lariat,05 Acura rsx,19 gt 10r80 on order
Over 15k counting parts and labor is my guess

OP
OP

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
Nah not that much at all. Reusing my stock block and heads I think the whole motor cost a little less than $12k including all parts and labor for assembly. I pulled the motor myself so didn’t pay for any labor other than putting the engine together. Way more than $20k into the whole car itself, but that’s with T56 swap, coilovers, fuel system, seats, etc. Here’s a pic from when I pulled the motor. Make sure to drain your transmission fluid beforehand :headbonk:

21mde08.jpg

As for MPG, no realistic number for you there. I’ve been beating on it pretty good since first start and already has a track day under its belt in the few weeks it’s been up and running. Probably like 6 or 7 on E85 thus far.

Sponsored

Saywhen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
Nice!! I like the pic. And if your worried about mpg you shouldn’t be thinking about building a motor and adding hp in my opinion. You need to be driving a Prius. MPG has NEVER been a deciding factor in a build.

Saywhen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
And you saved a shit load of money by doing a lot of the work yourself. Otherwise I’m sure you would’ve been upwards of 15k

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
PM sent

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Nah not that much at all. Reusing my stock block and heads I think the whole motor cost a little less than $12k including all parts and labor for assembly. I pulled the motor myself so didn’t pay for any labor other than putting the engine together. Way more than $20k into the whole car itself, but that’s with T56 swap, coilovers, fuel system, seats, etc. Here’s a pic from when I pulled the motor. Make sure to drain your transmission fluid beforehand :headbonk:

21mde08.jpg

As for MPG, no realistic number for you there. I’ve been beating on it pretty good since first start and already has a track day under its belt in the few weeks it’s been up and running. Probably like 6 or 7 on E85 thus far.
Holy hell people still do their own work? LOL I thought people only cried about dyno numbers anymore!!

OP
OP

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
Holy hell people still do their own work? LOL I thought people only cried about dyno numbers anymore!!
LOL I do both!

Another interesting thing from reviewing the datalogs. The MAF is peaking at 66lb/min on that pull to 8100 which seems like a whole lot to me. I looked back at my logs from when I had the Paxton @ 10lbs and the MAF was reading 74lb/min. I made right around 700 on E85 with that setup so I'm even more confused now. 8lb/min = 170HP evidently. It seems like its flowing plenty of air. In any case I'm gonna send the manifold off to Brett Barber to be ported.

Just a thought, the dyno pull was done with my second batch of high zinc break in oil in the engine. Does that have more friction than a normal synthetic maybe and the engine was having to work harder to spin? I might take it back to the dyno now that I'm back to synthetic just for fun and see what happens.

Sponsored
OP
OP

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
Time to play leaking valve seals or piston rings!
Here’s what every single piston looks like.

2md3rlh.png

And here’s what every single intake port looks like. The tops of the valves are wet with oil so I’m guessing valve seals? What the hell man...

14k8uxg.jpg

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Got a good catch can setup on it? What kind of tension rings did you put in it? Leakdown it. Depending on the tension of rings, and the catch can/breather setup, that might be the way they look.

OP
OP

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
Here’s my catch can breather setup. I thought it was pretty good but if you see room for improvement I’d appreciate the input.

21o3mft.jpg

Not sure about the ring tension since I let the builder spec those. Bought a leak down tester yesterday so I’ll use it today and see what I can find. I’m still not sure how blowby would result in oil on top of the intake valves and all up in the intake ports. The catch can is vented and does not return to the manifold
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: LX1