Sponsored

Broke my mt82

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
If this would happen to me in the future, I would send it away and have it rebuilt with the best parts that I could. While it's out, make it better than new. If the price estimate would start getting close to a new Tremec, then a Tremec would be going back in it.
Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
The torque for the 2016 Ford Mustangs is as follows, mustang1:

3.7-liter V = 280 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm
2.3-liter EcoBoost I-4 = 320 lb.-ft. @ 2,500 rpm to 4,500 rpm
5.0-liter V8 = 400 lb.-ft. @ 4,250 rpm

Deysha
So 650 ft/lbs @ 7750 is not advised? Dammit!!!! :D;)

Last edited:

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
I broke 4th gear today too. Took off from a dead stop and went through the gears, hit 4th and bam, just revved up. I have longtubes and a RXT clutch with Michelin Sports. Also tuned. My thoughts behind is, I'm probable 30 or 40 HP over stock. The Roush charged mustangs have plenty more power. I feel like it's a defect in the part!
Not necessarily , especially with the RXT. Ben C told me to throw the RXT away and go with a organic disc. Says the RXT destroys the MT82 because there is no give (slippage) at all. Those hard engagements destroys the small gears which are in the MT82.

bigoscycles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Not necessarily , especially with the RXT. Ben C told me to throw the RXT away and go with a organic disc. Says the RXT destroys the MT82 because there is no give (slippage) at all. Those hard engagements destroys the small gears which are in the MT82.
RXT throws a lot of shock on the MT82 with those quick hard shifts. It will get one quick. Best to use the RST!

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I was at the track this weekend to test out the new clutch and tire setup. During the pass I missed 4th gear and new at that moment it had broke. I pulled off the track, all gears worked fine except 4th. ...
- do you powershift or regular shift?
- shift RPM ?
- what tires?
- any grinding or clunking before this happened?

from a google search on the T56 Magnum :

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...anyone-with-7000-RPM-shift-points-running-one
Shift information on the T56 Magnum anyone with 7000+ RPM shift points running one?

"If shifting hard at high rpms (power shifting) with slicks, you need an aluminum flywheel and adjustable slipper clutch like a McLeod Soft-Lok. With a hard-hitting clutch, heavy flywheel and sticky tires you will break things ... regardless of what transmission you run ... or drive easier. Street tires will be less of an issue, but you need to drive easier or the tires will break free and you'll lose control.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I was at the track this weekend to test out the new clutch and tire setup. During the pass I missed 4th gear and new at that moment it had broke. I pulled off the track, all gears worked fine except 4th. ...
At the track, MT82 may also be vulnerable to heat. GT350 has transmission cooler and/or a temp gauge, and comes with special syncs :

http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/1509-2016-shelby-gt350-gets-beefed-up-tremec-tr-3160-six-speed/
2016 Shelby GT350 Gets Beefed Up Tremec TR-3160 Six Speed

Specially formulated carbon-bronze triple-cone synchronizers are engineered to deliver the feel of a bronze synchronizer with the heat capacity of carbon, which is a key attribute in racing situations.

GT350 also has dual mass flywheel, which provides shock absorption:

"The dual-mass flywheel enhances engagement smoothness, reduces noise, vibration and harshness, and allows for the elimination of damping springs in the hub of the clutch – which in turn means a lighter, smaller-diameter clutch and reduced rotating mass.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
At the track, MT82 may also be vulnerable to heat. GT350 has transmission cooler and/or a temp gauge, and comes with special syncs :

http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/1509-2016-shelby-gt350-gets-beefed-up-tremec-tr-3160-six-speed/
2016 Shelby GT350 Gets Beefed Up Tremec TR-3160 Six Speed

Specially formulated carbon-bronze triple-cone synchronizers are engineered to deliver the feel of a bronze synchronizer with the heat capacity of carbon, which is a key attribute in racing situations.

GT350 also has dual mass flywheel, which provides shock absorption:

"The dual-mass flywheel enhances engagement smoothness, reduces noise, vibration and harshness, and allows for the elimination of damping springs in the hub of the clutch – which in turn means a lighter, smaller-diameter clutch and reduced rotating mass.
Heat at a drag strip is virtually non-existent compared to road courses.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Dont waste your time rebuilding your mt-82, i have a buddy who has broken 3 rebuilds, i finally convinced him to order a tremec, it will be installed soon ...the tremec is expensive yes, but its that last manual trans you will ever use in your car!

OP
OP

Agent_Kay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Mustang GT
- do you powershift or regular shift?
- shift RPM ?
- what tires?
- any grinding or clunking before this happened?

from a google search on the T56 Magnum :

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...anyone-with-7000-RPM-shift-points-running-one
Shift information on the T56 Magnum anyone with 7000+ RPM shift points running one?

"If shifting hard at high rpms (power shifting) with slicks, you need an aluminum flywheel and adjustable slipper clutch like a McLeod Soft-Lok. With a hard-hitting clutch, heavy flywheel and sticky tires you will break things ... regardless of what transmission you run ... or drive easier. Street tires will be less of an issue, but you need to drive easier or the tires will break free and you'll lose control.
Sorry I haven't been on this thread in a while. Tranny is coming out and being sent to Ben Calimer this weekend.
-regular shift
-7K shift point
-hoosier bias ply
-no grinding, 2nd and 4th have always given me issues getting into gear. I thought the MGW would fix it but it didn't.
-just upgraded to RXT clutch. Literally 150 break in miles before I hit the strip. And when I say 150 break in, I mean constant shifting at cruising speeds (4th-5th-6th-5th-4th on highway) plus down shifts at stop lights. It's seeming as rxt was a bad decision for my power level. I guess it's just luck of the draw when it comes to the tranny as far a issues go

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Maybe Ben Calimer can provide photos of the failed parts. Did they take a guess as to what happened?

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Maybe Ben Calimer can provide photos of the failed parts. Did they take a guess as to what happened?
Here is a pic that Ben sent me of my trans. Third gear is pretty much non existent.
IMG_1056.jpg

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
While the destroyed gearset is interesting... I'm more interested in the grooves on the lay gears. I guess they could be there to move oil around, but I think they'd be more uniform.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
While the destroyed gearset is interesting... I'm more interested in the grooves on the lay gears. I guess they could be there to move oil around, but I think they'd be more uniform.
Im guessing its from parts and pieces getting into the gears after breakage.
After destroying the two I have I was able to dive the car for miles to get home. Third gear current be used but all other were usable (including reverse) but at all times you could hear pieces getting ground up inside it.
Sponsored