Sponsored

Brand new.. stripe Issue - easy to correct?

slikk66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350, 1966 Mustang Coupe
I haven't even received the car yet, it's coming in from out if of state - it should be getting loaded onto a transport any minute.

The dealer called me a few ago as he was going around the car doing final pictures and inspections - he found an issue with the vinyl stripes.

Yes, I've heard many times they're not great, unfortunately.

He said it should be a warranty fix, and that it's no big deal etc. If the car wasn't being picked up right then he said he would've fixed it there.

These pics it looks so minor.. Is this something I could try to even out with a hairdryer or something? Has anyone else done similar?

(Top right on the first image)

Thanks!
IMG952019050495115755.jpg
IMG952019050495115715.jpg
IMG952019050495115710.jpg
Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
You can't fix that and the factory stripes are very expensive. Make Ford replace that stripe under warranty when you get the car, its covered. And unless your local Ford dealership has its own body shop insist it be taken to one to replace strip. And even better if you can get them to take it to a graphics shop. I believe that stripe goes under the rear wing so it will need to be removed and put back on after replacing stripe.

OP
OP
slikk66

slikk66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can't fix that and the factory stripes are very expensive. Make Ford replace that stripe under warranty when you get the car, its covered. And unless your local Ford dealership has its own body shop insist it be taken to one to replace strip. And even better if you can get them to take it to a graphics shop. I believe that stripe goes under the rear wing so it will need to be removed and put back on after replacing stripe.
Ok thanks for the reply. I live near the large Galpin Ford in Los Angeles, they probably will have what it takes then.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
I'd try spraying a little dishsoapy water into the open areas and then run a squeegee across it. With a hairdryer on standby.

Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Just my opinion but no offence at all to drummerboy but I wouldn't touch it. As I said those stripes are expensive from Ford and you don't want to give any dealership the excuse to try and say your the one that messed it up.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
No offense taken. I laid vinyl for a couple years a 20 years ago, and while I have no experience with these stripes and could be completely wrong, the hump on the left looks really easy to fix, so I'd do that first. The triple hump on the right might be a little harder.

Regardless, though, if it were mine, I'd take a lot of pics and then try to fix it real quick. If it didn't go well, you've already got the pics, they're not going to deny the warranty on the stripes - literally anyone could grab that trunk lid lip right now and accidentally squeeze the vinyl down and fold it over on itself and get a nice little crease.

Again, I could be completely wrong, but it also looks like something a heat gun could assist with. We always had some water that was a little slick with dish soap and would spray that all over everything, and then we'd squeegee it down. The only thing I'd be worried about is how much dust or whatever else got up in there already on the adhesive.

I'd love to know what a vinyl pro thinks of the pics.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Just get it redone under warranty by someone who knows what they are doing.

OP
OP
slikk66

slikk66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make sure to inspect the car for ANY other issues b4 taking delivery!
Yea.. This out of state purchase thing is stressing me out heh. The transport guy found a tiny chip the dealership said they missed also. The dealership said it's their fault and "will make it right".. They have been really great though, this purchase has been going on since November, I'm sure they will - just not sure what to ask for, especially since it's already on a transport! Seems crazy to say it needs to be removed and repainted.
Leaning towards asking for some touch up cans, clear + factory paint.
IMG_20190504_161029.jpg

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yea.. This out of state purchase thing is stressing me out heh. The transport guy found a tiny chip the dealership said they missed also. The dealership said it's their fault and "will make it right".. They have been really great though, this purchase has been going on since November, I'm sure they will - just not sure what to ask for, especially since it's already on a transport! Seems crazy to say it needs to be removed and repainted.
Leaning towards asking for some touch up cans, clear + factory paint.
IMG_20190504_161029.jpg
You are buying a new Shelby. You want touch up paint? :crazy:

How about asking that a professional body shop (who knows what they are doing) get it repaired on a cash (non record, no warranty) repair. You don't want that on your oasis report.

Sponsored
OP
OP
slikk66

slikk66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean I'd prefer it wasn't there, but I'm also a realist.. I bought a car out of state, sight unseen to get a discount. There are some risks.. The dealer did me some big favors on this deal. Would a cash repair like you're mentioning be possible without pulling the bumper and doing a full $1500 repair?

OP
OP
slikk66

slikk66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ALWAYS hire a 3rd party to inspect when buying sight unseen.
Yea probably good advice.. I was told that since it was a new factory delivery, then it was on the dealership/factory, which they said as much when offering to take responsibility.. But, it's just as possible they wouldn't have! So I'd have to agree.

Not like I would've passed on the car I special ordered over a blemish this small though.

Last edited:

SnakeAndSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
First, congrats on the new car. Second, this is the reason my "stripe delete" was my first mod. I cannot stand vinyl stickers. The only way to do "proper" stripes would be to paint them at the factory and clear over them. So within 36 hours I removed mine and started the detail process because I told the dealer NOT to touch my car. As far as the bumper goes, no worries there. It's plastic, number one. Number two, you do not want to repaint the bumper because then you're adding in variables like "flex additive" which goes into the paint so it doesn't crack or flake and it also can/will change the color slightly.. I would personally have them throw in a bottle of touch up paint and fix it myself, no biggie. PS: I am a professional detailer and former autobody shop employee (but you've 'got this')

Socalrugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4111
Ok thanks for the reply. I live near the large Galpin Ford in Los Angeles, they probably will have what it takes then.
I got mine from Galpin as well..... they will make sure you are all fixed up.... in my experience, they have great customer service
Sponsored