Sponsored

Brake squeal fixed. Solution.

wangbul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Finally the annoying brake squeal is fixed at local shop after couple attempts at Ford dealer failed with "it's normal performance brake noise" type of nonsense response. After being fed up with the brake noise at slow stops I took it to the local garage and the guy knew right away how to fix it. He said it's not the pads but the back side of the pads where metal meets metal housing that rubs against one another that creates the squeal. I even took my new ceramic pads for replacement but decided to keep the old ones since they have good life left in them and the guy was so confident of the fix. They took it apart and cleaned the brake pads, shaved the edges a tad bit like the Hawk pads, and coated the back side of the pads with some kind of spray coating multiple times and let it dry under the sun. Then they put it back and now the noise is gone for good. No more squeal attracting the attention of other drivers. I saw a lot of Youtube videos saying how dust created by the pads are the cause for squealing but that's not true. Dust should be washed off time to time but the real culprit is the large pads with metal back that rest against the metal housing with whatever dampener they put in at factory washed out or disintegrated with nothing preventing them from vibrating. This waterproof coating they sprayed on back side of the pads will stay on for good preventing any squeal. Excellent!
Sponsored

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Following your theory, brand new car should have brake squeal because, as you stated it's brake design. But my new GT350 never sequel until about 6-7K miles. I think, it's nature of performance brake pads that they make noise. For example, Power Stop Z26 pads are note squealing.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
This works for $15
1614739174064.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
wangbul

wangbul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Thanks. I tried the spray before and it worked temporarily and squeal returned after a while. The guy at the shop who said he's been in car business his entire life said the squeal cannot be made from the pad on rotor or dust generated but the back side of the pad resonating against another metal surface. The video you provided also shows dampener gel placed behind the pad. He said those get washed out eventually with water and needs something that will stay on. It looked the can you showed but it was a spray and went on burgundy red. Will see how long this lasts. One thing I'm not sure though is he said the stock pads didn't have sloping edge but the video you posted shows it does. I think he was mistaken on that part.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Just don’t run that stuff on track. It doesn’t like high temps. Makes a huge mess

OP
OP
wangbul

wangbul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Just don’t run that stuff on track. It doesn’t like high temps. Makes a huge mess
oooh...good to know. Good thing I kept those Hawk pads. Do all these pads need some kind of dampener behind the pads?

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I'm definitely curious how this will play out... he's not wrong for "normal" pads, but track capable pads DO definitely make noise from pad to rotor contact when ran below their temp range.

I haven't ran the oem's enough to know how they sound or behave though so maybe his fix will work, but I'm skeptical based on them being suitable for track days.

Did he also scuff up the surface of the pad when he did this?

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
Finally the annoying brake squeal is fixed at local shop after couple attempts at Ford dealer failed with "it's normal performance brake noise" type of nonsense response. After being fed up with the brake noise at slow stops I took it to the local garage and the guy knew right away how to fix it. He said it's not the pads but the back side of the pads where metal meets metal housing that rubs against one another that creates the squeal. I even took my new ceramic pads for replacement but decided to keep the old ones since they have good life left in them and the guy was so confident of the fix. They took it apart and cleaned the brake pads, shaved the edges a tad bit like the Hawk pads, and coated the back side of the pads with some kind of spray coating multiple times and let it dry under the sun. Then they put it back and now the noise is gone for good. No more squeal attracting the attention of other drivers. I saw a lot of Youtube videos saying how dust created by the pads are the cause for squealing but that's not true. Dust should be washed off time to time but the real culprit is the large pads with metal back that rest against the metal housing with whatever dampener they put in at factory washed out or disintegrated with nothing preventing them from vibrating. This waterproof coating they sprayed on back side of the pads will stay on for good preventing any squeal. Excellent!
Hey OP. Do you know what he used? You stated "some king of spray coating." Can you find out and post? Thx!
Sponsored