Bought abused GT?

maxxpayne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
Well, this wasn't the outcome I expected to getting my first mustang. About 3 weeks ago I saw a beautiful 2019 oxford white GT pp1 with only 15k miles on it which I couldn't pass on. My gf's father whose a car salesman at ford had helped me get approved and get the stang delivered to his dealership all while I was on vacation. This was my first mistake. In an act of desperation I ended up getting a car I couldn't physically look or test drive. I did check the carfax and saw nothing out of the norm besides the previous owner going going to ford dealership for scheduled maintenance, then going back 1k miles later for "electrical", then 2k miles later again for tires, rotation etc. That was at 8k miles and the last service the car received. Going by the carfax alone, I didn't believe the car was driven harshly with only 15k since 2019.

Anyways, the stang is delivered the same day I get back from vacation. I inspect the car a little and Everything seems on point, practically new. The keys handed off to me and as I'm leaving I noticed the check engine light is already on. I call ford, they tell me to come back next day and they'd fix it. Cool.

When I get home I take a closer look at the car and it appears the cars hood was missing a few screws. Both the controls for driver and passenger seats appear to be reversed. The front bumper was replaced with a regular non pp bumper and painted oxford white. I figured most likely the hood was replaced with an aftermarket one and put back last minute. I look through some papers I received along with the car and found a service invoice from ford stating both cats were gone and 4 less mufflers were on the car. I could only assume the car was straight piped before. That gets me curious to figure out what the check engine light is for. I end up buying an odb reader and got both catalytic below threshold on bank 1 & 2, along with p0300 random misfire code. I was a bit confused since they replaced the entire exhaust to a new active exhaust. I drove the car some more and may of experienced a misfire but im not exactly sure. To me, the car took a little long to start sometimes but it wasn't too noticeable. Popped the hood open and no strange noises. I end up taking it back to ford and this where I start getting worried.

A few days pass and I'm having some communication issue with the dealership. They initially took a few days after the car was dropped off to start working on it. I called back and was told (realllly hard to understand this very cuban man) they replaced a sensor. Not entirely sure if he said pcm or cmp but something was replaced. He asked if I had another key. That he needs the guy who reprogram the keys to come in. At this point, I'm just as confused as the person reading this post. How are these cat codes related to the misfire and this pcm sensor. Do you guys think I just got a obliterated engine? Perhaps the car was tuned previously??
Sponsored

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
I don't think it was abused any more than the usual that these cars get. Most likely it was modded and the previous owner did a half job throwing stuff on and returning it to stock. The dealership likely got it at auction and posted it up and then your dealership acquired it from them for you. So it's been passed around a bit but nothing more than expected.

At this point the dealership has to guarantee it passes inspection. So anything that generates a fail will have to be fixed by them on their dime. Give them time, let them figure it out, and take it to inspection as soon as you get it back. It'll be fine and you'll be enjoying that thing soon enough.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
Did they sell car w/o cats? if so that is very illegal in most states. I had similiar issues w/mine and dealer that sold car covered everything no questions asked. All i had to say is i was going to contact state about buying a car from dealer w/o headers. Besides that, ur under warranty still so it should be covered. I would also call Ford Corp and start a ticket to make sure dealer doesnt mess around... GL.. take a look at my post about my issues.

OP
OP
maxxpayne

maxxpayne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
I don't think it was abused any more than the usual that these cars get. Most likely it was modded and the previous owner did a half job throwing stuff on and returning it to stock. The dealership likely got it at auction and posted it up and then your dealership acquired it from them for you. So it's been passed around a bit but nothing more than expected.

At this point the dealership has to guarantee it passes inspection. So anything that generates a fail will have to be fixed by them on their dime. Give them time, let them figure it out, and take it to inspection as soon as you get it back. It'll be fine and you'll be enjoying that thing soon enough.

Guess you're right my friend. Thanks for the positive words

OP
OP
maxxpayne

maxxpayne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
Did they sell car w/o cats? if so that is very illegal in most states. I had similiar issues w/mine and dealer that sold car covered everything no questions asked. All i had to say is i was going to contact state about buying a car from dealer w/o headers. Besides that, ur under warranty still so it should be covered. I would also call Ford Corp and start a ticket to make sure dealer doesnt mess around... GL.. take a look at my post about my issues.
Nah, I got the car with cats installed. Which from what I can see look new too. So it's confusing to why it would throw 2 cat codes. I'm at ease knowing they are taking caring of everything. About the ticket thing.. I received a ticket with a number to claim the car once the job is complete. Are you talking about the same thing? I will look into your posts now, thanks bro.

Sponsored

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I don’t buy used cars because people abuse them like this. I would try to exit/undo this transaction if possible. Where there is smoke, there is likely fire. Who knows what other stupid stuff was done to this car. You want to find something that has been gently used, not abused.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
Nah, I got the car with cats installed. Which from what I can see look new too. So it's confusing to why it would throw 2 cat codes. I'm at ease knowing they are taking caring of everything. About the ticket thing.. I received a ticket with a number to claim the car once the job is complete. Are you talking about the same thing? I will look into your posts now, thanks bro.
The # is 1 (800) 392-3673 - it def helped me get mine fixed...took 4 months but 0 issues since it was fixed.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I don’t buy used cars because people abuse them like this. I would try to exit/undo this transaction if possible. Where there is smoke, there is likely fire. Who knows what other stupid stuff was done to this car. You want to find something that has been gently used, not abused.
I do find it entertaining reading all these threads by people who buy used performance cars and have problems. Its hard not to give a honest opinion here. He took a huge risk buying this car without even seeing it. Life lesson was learned I suppose.

Seems like he bought someone else's problem like my father always use to say.

OP
OP
maxxpayne

maxxpayne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
I do find it entertaining reading all these threads by people who buy used performance cars and have problems. Its hard not to give a honest opinion here. He took a huge risk buying this car without even seeing it. Life lesson was learned I suppose.

Seems like he bought someone else's problem like my father always use to say.
You're completely right though. Definitely learned my lesson hard. Hopefully no other issues arise after this check engine light is gone.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'm thinking it might have a tune with the rear O2's turned off.

Ask them to reflash the ECU with a current update.

Sponsored
OP
OP
maxxpayne

maxxpayne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
I'm thinking it might have a tune with the rear O2's turned off.

Ask them to reflash the ECU with a current update.
Bro, thats a really good guess and I really wish I would've thought of that earlier. I mean now they're supposedly replacing the pcm or some sensor and have the keys reprogramed. I'll see what they say.. if the check engine light stays on with the same codes, I'll recommend reflash the ecu with a current update

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
You're completely right though. Definitely learned my lesson hard. Hopefully no other issues arise after this check engine light is gone.
I (and assume everyone else) certainly want this to turn out well for you. It’s just that some of us have had bad experiences with people hiding serious issues with their cars and then selling them to unsuspecting folks without sharing that knowledge. In common parlance, this is sometimes also known as getting screwed by a jerk.

Personally, I avoid any car that has been modified outside of Ford Performance, Roush, etc. Why? I don’t trust that Average Joe is a better engineer than the entire Ford engineering department. Plus, anytime you take a powertrain past the safety limits that the engineers put in place you are reducing its longevity.

If I was looking for a used performance car, I would avoid a dealership, spend as much time with the car as you can, have a mechanic look at it (if you aren’t), and buy from someone who is old enough to have the experience to know what they are doing and to have moved past the stage of beating up their stuff. I always see how they take care of their house, other cars, tools, etc. to see if I trust how they took care of the car. The most OCD, nerdy, uncool people can be the best people to buy cool cars from.

Just my experience and opinion. And you know what they say about opinions…

OP
OP
maxxpayne

maxxpayne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
I (and assume everyone else) certainly want this to turn out well for you. It’s just that some of us have had bad experiences with people hiding serious issues with their cars and then selling them to unsuspecting folks without sharing that knowledge. In common parlance, this is sometimes also known as getting screwed by a jerk.

Personally, I avoid any car that has been modified outside of Ford Performance, Roush, etc. Why? I don’t trust that Average Joe is a better engineer than the entire Ford engineering department. Plus, anytime you take a powertrain past the safety limits that the engineers put in place you are reducing its longevity.

If I was looking for a used performance car, I would avoid a dealership, spend as much time with the car as you can, have a mechanic look at it (if you aren’t), and buy from someone who is old enough to have the experience to know what they are doing and to have moved past the stage of beating up their stuff. I always see how they take care of their house, other cars, tools, etc. to see if I trust how they took care of the car. The most OCD, nerdy, uncool people can be the best people to buy cool cars from.

I completely agree with your opinion. You've stated nothing but valid points that I'll definitely remember next time buying a performance car. Unfortunately I'm young and made a bad call. I've already learned from this

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt

Ah yes the ford engineers that can’t make cam phasers work right in the 5.4 or the plugs that seize in the heads. Or the old 2v 5.4 that ejects the spark plug from the head into the hood. Or the recall on the new explorer st because it only has 1 bolt in the rear diff cover and guess what it breaks and the diff drops out. So some dumbass backyard engineer came up with a brace to support it better. Funny thing is that it used to have 2 bolts but they decided to delete 1. The list goes on and on…… Saying the aftermarket can’t improve or exceed fords engineering is ridiculous.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/04/2...-recalled-over-rear-axle-bolt-fracture-issue/

AllthePonies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Ah yes the ford engineers that can’t make cam phasers work right in the 5.4 or the plugs that seize in the heads. Or the old 2v 5.4 that ejects the spark plug from the head into the hood. Or the recall on the new explorer st because it only has 1 bolt in the rear diff cover and guess what it breaks and the diff drops out. So some dumbass backyard engineer came up with a brace to support it better. Funny thing is that it used to have 2 bolts but they decided to delete 1. The list goes on and on…… Saying the aftermarket can’t improve or exceed fords engineering is ridiculous.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/04/2...-recalled-over-rear-axle-bolt-fracture-issue/
What engines and transmissions have you designed and manufactured? What PCMs have you programmed? Ford engineers are some incredibly smart and hard working people. Much brighter and more capable than myself based on my personal experience. It’s really easy to criticize those that actually do really difficult things and make mistakes while dealing with constraints. It’s much harder to actually create and build something challenging with cost targets and deadlines.
Sponsored