Boot lid seam corrosion/rust help

OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
It's commonly refered to as the "clinch flange".
The outer panel's edge is folded around the edge of the inner panel.
Then a sealant is applied, before paint.

Looking at the pictures, it seems as though moisture has got under the bead of sealant & corroded the metal.

At the recent annual service for my GT, I paid £20 for the paint & body inspection.
I was told there was a 12 year Ford warranty for paint & body, provided the annual P&B inspections were carried out & also, that any defect was not the result of damage, such as a scratch through paint, down to the metal. As an example.

Looks to me like a simple & water-tight case for warrantied replacement.
However, what it's replaced with, is another question as there does appear to be significant inconsistency of capability, through the U.K. dealetship network.
Although possibly no worse than those for other OEMs.

Hope you get it sorted.
Lets hope so, i know the warranty book states you need the biannual paint inspection for the 12yr perforation warranty, but id expect this to be covered under the regular 3yr warranty.

Whether i get a new boot or its resealed and a full respay im not too concerned, as long as its fixed to a high standard...
Sponsored

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Where are these stamps supposed to be located?
The body inspection stamps are in your service book, just a few pages beyond the regular service stamps.

At the recent annual service for my GT, I paid £20 for the paint & body inspection.
I was told there was a 12 year Ford warranty for paint & body, provided the annual P&B inspections were carried out
At least your dealer mentioned this. Both myself and my cars previous owner were blissfully unaware of this requirement, so I have a blank book, despite a full service history 😪

OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The body inspection stamps are in your service book, just a few pages beyond the regular service stamps.

At least your dealer mentioned this. Both myself and my cars previous owner were blissfully unaware of this requirement, so I have a blank book, despite a full service history 😪
Yeah... Blank book here too

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
if the car is being serviced at Ford and they are following the SOP for the services then surely they must do the corrosion inspections defacto. If not, argue your case. Fck all point going to a dealership for servicing work if it doesn't keep warranty in check. Next step, argue with the Ford UK chief and ask him to point this out. Afterall, whenever you book a service they try and sell you all sorts of sht you dont need but they conveniently forget to do the corrosion checks. Aye right, feel the rage mutherfockers lol.

Footnote: will check my service book for the blank stamps when the rain stops.. next Tuesday at this rate

OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
if the car is being serviced at Ford and they are following the SOP for the services then surely they must do the corrosion inspections defacto. If not, argue your case. Fck all point going to a dealership for servicing work if it doesn't keep warranty in check. Next step, argue with the Ford UK chief and ask him to point this out. Afterall, whenever you book a service they try and sell you all sorts of sht you dont need but they conveniently forget to do the corrosion checks. Aye right, feel the rage mutherfockers lol.

Footnote: will check my service book for the blank stamps when the rain stops.. next Tuesday at this rate
Agreed that the paintwork thing is a con. I was looking at the place this car was serviced and there isnt even an option to tick for the body/paint inspection.

I am torn between taking it to ford and trying to get them to sort under warranty and taking it back to the dealer i bought it from and pointing out that they have sold this with the extensive rac check which includes a bodywork corrosion check, clearly this has been missed.

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
as it's new to you and sold with a warranty from the garage you bought it from, that should be your first stop and ask for the eye test results of the RAC inspector as well.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Try booking the service online. You can tick various optional extras such as mot, air con gas, etc but nowhere can you request paint inspection. You have to stipulate it in the free text notes section. Btw I discovered that my local trust ford dealer is very accommodating re these stamps if you service with them and don’t apply an additional charge.

OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
as it's new to you and sold with a warranty from the garage you bought it from, that should be your first stop and ask for the eye test results of the RAC inspector as well.
It doesnt exactly have a warranty from the garage. The warranty they provide (rac) doesnt kick in until after the ford warranty expires.

Its more the fact that its been sold as pristine and clearly its not...

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
It doesnt exactly have a warranty from the garage. The warranty they provide (rac) doesnt kick in until after the ford warranty expires.

Its more the fact that its been sold as pristine and clearly its not...
onto Ford then but I'd certainly complain to the dealer you bought it from as it's clearly not in the condition as said. Hopefully you'll get a fix easy enough but let us know the outcome :like:

OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
onto Ford then but I'd certainly complain to the dealer you bought it from as it's clearly not in the condition as said. Hopefully you'll get a fix easy enough but let us know the outcome :like:
Fingers crossed! The car is such an event and ive had more positive comment in the last week than in my previous 14yrs of driving. This does sour the experience though....

Ironically the rest of the paintwork is in fantasic shape.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Well so far ive been given the run around by 2 ford garages.....

The servicing dealer did however confirm in writing that the body and paintwork check was carried out as part of the second service, so thats a positive at least.

I can see this is going to be painful....

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I can see this is going to be painful....
Welcome to Mustang ownership :cwl:

Hang in there. There are good dealerships out there. Worth the extra hassle/distance if you have to go non local. Just stay away from the ones that don't give you a good feeling, that would be my number one piece of advice.

Now that I think of it, @V8_MOTOR had a good experience with Sandicliffe Ford in Notts I believe. Have you tried them?

OP
OP

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Welcome to Mustang ownership :cwl:

Hang in there. There are good dealerships out there. Worth the extra hassle/distance if you have to go non local. Just stay away from the ones that don't give you a good feeling, that would be my number one piece of advice.

Now that I think of it, @V8_MOTOR had a good experience with Sandicliffe Ford in Notts I believe. Have you tried them?
Notts is a bit of a treck from me. Went into the dealer i got the car from today who have ensured me they will get it sorted, so will have to be patient and see where we get with this....

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Agreed that the paintwork thing is a con. I was looking at the place this car was serviced and there isnt even an option to tick for the body/paint inspection.

I am torn between taking it to ford and trying to get them to sort under warranty and taking it back to the dealer i bought it from and pointing out that they have sold this with the extensive rac check which includes a bodywork corrosion check, clearly this has been missed.
As mentioned on another thread when the service schedule is created on ETIS it includes the bodywork protection as an additional item along the lines of brake fluid change and gearbox oil change type things (because the intervals may not match with when the car is actually serviced). This applies to all Ford cars. Mine has always been stamped and no charge made.