RTR077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT RTR Spec 1
https://www.boombaracing.com/s550-mustang-short-throw-shifter/
https://www.boombaracing.com/mustang-shifter-removal-tool/ recommended as a rental tool, but not absolutely necessary

Install:

Not straightforward. The first thing I noted was that some fool had secured my RTR shift knob with a threaded nut using red loctite and a crap load of it too. Several curse words and a hairdryer later I got to the shifter itself. I noticed that the rubber shift boot was different then the online materials. In fact, there was no obvious way to take it off. I did reach out to Boomba, but they didn't get much advice (pic 1)

I went for it anyway, pushing the rental tool hard onto the rubber boot to see as much as the collar (white plastic thing) as possible. I was a bit nervous, because I could not see what was happening near the bottom of the shaft. (pic 2)

Unscrewing the OEM shaft was tighter than I expected and at one point, something seemed to give. It turns out my car (2021) had 2 extra plastic pieces between the white collar and the rubber shifter itself. (pic 3 include supplied metal insert 'rods') that snapped when I took it off. The plastic pieces were held onto the white collar through small holes on the side.

The install of the shifter was then easy. Secure using an allen wrench. Despite dosing the reverse lock out with plenty of lubricant, it still squeaks when pulled up, no big deal I guess (pic 4)

Finished the look with an alcantara boot (cut down to size) and painted shifter bezel in carbonized grey and added the steeda clutch spring while I was at it. (pic 5)

Feel:

I love the throws. While all the shifter does is shorten the throws, I much prefer it. 3rd to 4th is a little nudge down, very smooth. Reverse lock out is fine, except the squeak. My arm sits nicely across the center console and on the shifter. Super comfortable. I am glad I did it and its really not hard. once you know how.

IMG-1715.jpg

IMG-1718.jpg

IMG-1720.jpg

IMG-1721.jpg

IMG-1734.jpg
Sponsored

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
That looks really good first off.
Couple of questions. Is the shifter mechanism still chassis mounted?
If not are you contemplating it?

I’ve read a few threads where the shifts feel better once this is done. But this looks really awesome. I think doing that with this would be phenomenal.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good, I tried to email them since I live like 20 minutes away, to see if I could pickup that tool and install the shifter there so I don't have to pay to rent it or wait for it to be shipped to me, but they never emailed back, lol... really seems like the easiest swap out of all other shifters though. I am still trying to figure out which route to go myself.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Looks good, I tried to email them since I live like 20 minutes away, to see if I could pickup that tool and install the shifter there so I don't have to pay to rent it or wait for it to be shipped to me, but they never emailed back, lol... really seems like the easiest swap out of all other shifters though. I am still trying to figure out which route to go myself.
I went to their warehouse in Bensenville, picked up the shifter kit and puller. Took it home did the install and returned the tool the next day and got my rental refund. Good people and easy to work with. That was 3 years ago and I still like everything about the Boomba shifter.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I went to their warehouse in Bensenville, picked up the shifter kit and puller. Took it home did the install and returned the tool the next day and got my rental refund. Good people and easy to work with. That was 3 years ago and I still like everything about the Boomba shifter.
Damn, wish they would have wrote me back, I would have bought it by now.

Did you just show up there and get the stuff? or call before hand?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
RTR077

RTR077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
That looks really good first off.
Couple of questions. Is the shifter mechanism still chassis mounted?
If not are you contemplating it?

I’ve read a few threads where the shifts feel better once this is done. But this looks really awesome. I think doing that with this would be phenomenal.
I am not sure exactly what you are asking. The shifter is a straight replacement for the OEM 'shaft'. No other changes. I do have the boomba racing trans mount (street) if that's the question.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I am not sure exactly what you are asking. The shifter is a straight replacement for the OEM 'shaft'. No other changes. I do have the boomba racing trans mount (street) if that's the question.
Yeah that’s what I was getting at. Thanks.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Does the short throw on this comes from just the shaft being shorter ? Nothing's really changing in the shifter itself and it's nowhere near comparable to real shifter kits from MGW and Barton seems like.

OP
OP
RTR077

RTR077

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Does the short throw on this comes from just the shaft being shorter ? Nothing's really changing in the shifter itself and it's nowhere near comparable to real shifter kits from MGW and Barton seems like.
Correct sir.
Sponsored