BMR Performance vs. Handling Springs

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes & Chassis' started by DuRsT, Jul 1, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    DuRsT

DuRsT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Much thanks.

I ordered the BMR camber bolt, do i need to get camber plates as well?

2. donmcgowen

donmcgowen Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT, D1 Procharger Stage 2
    0   0   0
    I have the handling springs and Koni Yellow struts/shocks along with cradle lockout and vertical links. The car handles like it's on rails. The only issue is that it's a bit too low up front. The passenger tire rubs on inner fenderwell when turning. Other then that, I love them. Nice ride quality and great handling.

3. BmacIL

BmacIL Enginerd

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    #23 BmacIL, Jul 11, 2019 at 1:56 PM
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 2:15 PM
    You could update to the newer version of the front handling springs (7/8" drop).

Bluemustang likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    DuRsT

DuRsT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Ok. You a-holes have me looking into ALL kinds of crap when all I wanted to do was lower my new car. :crackup:

I've been figuring out how to best do what I'm going to be doing, and it looks like we are going all the way now. Thanks @BmacIL , when I'm sleeping on the couch next month its going to be your fault.

Ok, so I've spoken to Steeda and BMR now at this point. Steeda is offering a deal on their active dampers that gets them to a price point that they are competitive with the Ford Racing dampers. Thoughts on which ones should be used on Steeda vs. Ford Racing with my SP080's?

Also, I have decided against the Camber plates as I don't think I'll need them for my application but am open to suggestion.

Current Plan:
    BMR SP080's
    BMR CB005
    Steeda or Ford Racing dampers..?
    Camber bolts or Camber plates..?

Ghost50 likes this.
  5. BmacIL

BmacIL Enginerd

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Up to you on dampers. Well-tuned monotube passive dampers are pretty darn good. Definitely plates over bolts, but depends on your budget.

6. Bluemustang

Bluemustang Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang Base GT
    Financial
    0   0   0
    I would forgo the SP080s tbh and just get the handling springs and Bilsteins. That combo is said to be amazing. I'm not a fan of going that low in the front bc of what it does to the geometry. To counteract the additional body roll of the lowered ride height you need higher spring rate to compensate.

Edit: The Sp080 is like same rates as stock but 1.2" lower. I'd rather see a smaller drop and higher rate springs. Really makes the car more responsive and predictable.

And I would recommend plates also.

BmacIL and repins1911 like this.
  7. Ghost50

Ghost50 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
    0   0   0
    I lol’d

I’ll chime in and say that the CB005 and SP080’s are fantastic.

I don’t think you need camber plates. I’m not running them - just the camber bolts.

I’ll also add this. Get the Steeda subframe alignment kit when you do the 005.

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-alignment-kit-rear-subframe-for-bmr-cb005-555-4447.html

8. 5had0w

5had0w Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 GTPP M6
    0   0   0
    In the same boat. I get it. Initially (before I had done a bunch of reading here) I had a set of sportlines sitting waiting to be installed.
    Fast forward 3 months, now I have a set of Ford racing track shocks/ along with a bunch of Steeda and BMR components waiting to get installed.
    Just looking at the pile made me think “So... I could have gotten that corsa exhaust” All I wanted was to lower the car lol.
    Past experience with another car told me it’s seriously always a trade off with suspension. One thing will fix and improve a certain part of what you want while throwing off another. Just not interested in rebuilding the suspension 4x. Nor do I have the time.
    Every time a thought of cheaping out arises, the memory of that car comes back. I swear the dash board wanted to detach and attack me at some points. No way. Not doing that again. Be patient and buy in rounds if you need to. Just do it right. It’ll cost so much more in labor and headaches if you don’t .02

9. Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0 Strassejager

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2016GT PP 6MT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I would drop camber plates from your list and replace them with the Steeda roll center and bump steer kit. A 1.2” drop is similar to mine and I greatly benefitted from installing these. It’s night and day. Of course, if you can do both then go for it.

10. BmacIL

BmacIL Enginerd

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah this is definitely a good idea.

11. Norm Peterson

Norm Peterson corner barstool sitter

First Name:
    Norm
    Vehicle(s):
    '08 GT #85, '10 LGT, '01 20AE
    On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
    0   0   0
    Let's just say that lowering can be done "thoughtfully" or "hastily and not so thoughtfully". Your long term satisfaction could depend on which approach you choose . . .

I'm personally a fan of plates over bolts even for just street driving, less "drop" over more, and somewhat higher spring rates over OE-ish rates (you need more spring rate to reduce nose dive and squat, the lowering alone hardly does anything for those). Linear-rate springs over progressives too, but that may not matter for your driving.

Norm

BmacIL and Bluemustang like this.