BmacIL's Guard GT Build

S550_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Hey Brian, sounds like you might not own the infamous Guards Green GT anymore....would be awesome to hear your review of the calimer MT82 and all of the supporting upgrades....also was wondering what your thoughts were on upgrading a base GT to the 6 piston Brembos....Terry at Vorschlag said that the master cylinder on the PP had a bigger piston than the base, I was curious to know if you replaced this when you upgraded or not and what your thoughts were on this, Thanks much for your help to all of us in the Mustang community.
Sponsored

S550_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Thanks! really want to do this upgrade....Ford changed the inverse hat rotors on the base GT so they don't overheat and fail .... this made a huge difference. I wish they would announce the changes when they make them, maybe they are trying to avoid recalls, etc. They made several changes as well to the MT82... think they changed the forks back to steel from the aluminum that were introduced in the 2018 D4 but didn't work out so well. Thanks again for your reply and post

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Thanks! really want to do this upgrade....Ford changed the inverse hat rotors on the base GT so they don't overheat and fail .... this made a huge difference. I wish they would announce the changes when they make them, maybe they are trying to avoid recalls, etc. They made several changes as well to the MT82... think they changed the forks back to steel from the aluminum that were introduced in the 2018 D4 but didn't work out so well. Thanks again for your reply and post
I installed the Brembos on my EBPP and kept the base GT master cylinder. I like it better than the 4-piston setup I replaced. The base GT brakes are really pretty good for normal driving, and the pedal response was really fast. The Brembo setup is more sensitive at light pedal so I notice it more in regular driving. I have not tracked the car so I can't say how extended high-effort braking feels. I don't see a need to swap for most normal uses.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I had no idea they fixed the base rotors. Any idea if they also changed the rears? The performance pack cars still share the base gt rear brakes and it would be great if they fixed the direction on those as well.

Sponsored

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Brembos on my EBPP and kept the base GT master cylinder. I like it better than the 4-piston setup I replaced. The base GT brakes are really pretty good for normal driving, and the pedal response was really fast. The Brembo setup is more sensitive at light pedal so I notice it more in regular driving. I have not tracked the car so I can't say how extended high-effort braking feels. I don't see a need to swap for most normal uses.
Base GT master cylinder has more front bias and is the same as the GT350 cylinder IIRC. Not sure why the PP cylinder changes the balance more rearward, maybe because of what you're noting about the sensitivity at light pedal?

I agree the 4-pistons are fine for street driving. Wider, stickier tires will play a bigger role in initial stopping distance on the street than going from 4-pots to 6-pots.

I had no idea they fixed the base rotors. Any idea if they also changed the rears? The performance pack cars still share the base gt rear brakes and it would be great if they fixed the direction on those as well.
Rears are unchanged.

S550_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT

There is a pretty good write up on the blog at optimum performance, that's how I learned....then I took a closer look at my rotors and sure enough.

https://www.opmustang.com/blog#/

Also a really good write up on Vorshlag's 2018 S550 Development thread, they get into everything on this car, what worked and what didn't work.....this is where I learned about the difference on the size of the piston in the master cylinder....they actually have pictures and measure with a micrometer. Anyways...it's a good read if you have the time

https://www.vorshlag.com/forums/for...shlag-2018-mustang-gt-s550-development-thread
Sponsored