Sponsored

BIG POWA! Well, like 750...

LIGISTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 V6 Mustang
Hey guys! I am new, just posted up in the introduce yourself thread :)

Anyways I will get right to it. My father has a '15 performance pack and we plan to slap a Whipple 2.9l on there.

So far what I have gathered as "required" are:

The blower itself
McLeod 800 HP RTS Twin Disc
KcLeod Lightened Steel Flywheel
DSS halfshafts rated for 800 hp
KW V3's since we want to fix the handling a bit
Steedas Stop the Hop kit (we already have the BMR bushing lockout IRS supports, they worked pretty well, but we need more hop stopping!)
I have an MGW Race Spec on my car, so we figure that would be a good idea for his car as well, especially to help high RPM lockout with so much power
We have CF5's on order with Vorshlag atm, getting 19x11 and 19x10's and will be wrapped in 305/285 PSS which should be a GREAT upgrade over the P-Zero junk that is already at 2/32's in the rear with only 9k miles on the car!

The things I am unsure about:
Do we need a DS? I assume its a good insurance policy. Hell I have one on my 3.7...
Do we need higher rated injectors? To be honest I am still a little unsure what the Whipple kit actually comes with, does it have injectors with it?

Any info and suggestions anyone can give would be great!

I was at supercar sunday in Los Angeles today and met a few guys who had similar (almost identical) setups and they said I should really hit up M6G to get my questions answered, so here I am! Hopefully some of those guys will see this and chime in as well, but I forget their names and forum handles... One had a ruby red car with basically all the mods I just listed (except he is getting a 1K HP clutch) and another black car that is not blown yet, and it on roush stage 3's.

Anyways, it was a GREAT showing today! At LEAST 60-70 mustangs there! Was pretty impressive for sure!
Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
... and they said I should really hit up M6G to get my questions answered, so here I am!
M6G ! :headbang:

I can't really comment on these parts because my car is stock, but I think it would be cool to just run with just the blower. And then add parts as necessary. Half the fun is seeing what breaks :lol:

OP
OP
LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 V6 Mustang
M6G ! :headbang:

I can't really comment on these parts because my car is stock, but I think it would be cool to just run with just the blower. And then add parts as necessary. Half the fun is seeing what breaks :lol:

Lol. Some may agree with you, but my dad only wants to take the car in once. This is a one stop dealio. Do it right the first time and never look back. At least that's the plan. I am pretty sure adding a blower to a car never turns out quite that easy.

Sent from my jailbroke iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
... I am pretty sure adding a blower to a car never turns out quite that easy.
there is a youtube video out there. Guy took a stock S550, 3.31 gears, not even PP. Bolted on a blower, and then tracked it. I suppose it depends on what you all plan to do with it

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
what fuel are you planning to run?

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Hey guys! I am new, just posted up in the introduce yourself thread :)

Anyways I will get right to it. My father has a '15 performance pack and we plan to slap a Whipple 2.9l on there.

So far what I have gathered as "required" are:

The blower itself
McLeod 800 HP RTS Twin Disc
KcLeod Lightened Steel Flywheel
DSS halfshafts rated for 800 hp
KW V3's since we want to fix the handling a bit
Steedas Stop the Hop kit (we already have the BMR bushing lockout IRS supports, they worked pretty well, but we need more hop stopping!)
I have an MGW Race Spec on my car, so we figure that would be a good idea for his car as well, especially to help high RPM lockout with so much power
We have CF5's on order with Vorshlag atm, getting 19x11 and 19x10's and will be wrapped in 305/285 PSS which should be a GREAT upgrade over the P-Zero junk that is already at 2/32's in the rear with only 9k miles on the car!

The things I am unsure about:
Do we need a DS? I assume its a good insurance policy. Hell I have one on my 3.7...
Do we need higher rated injectors? To be honest I am still a little unsure what the Whipple kit actually comes with, does it have injectors with it?

Any info and suggestions anyone can give would be great!

I was at supercar sunday in Los Angeles today and met a few guys who had similar (almost identical) setups and they said I should really hit up M6G to get my questions answered, so here I am! Hopefully some of those guys will see this and chime in as well, but I forget their names and forum handles... One had a ruby red car with basically all the mods I just listed (except he is getting a 1K HP clutch) and another black car that is not blown yet, and it on roush stage 3's.

Anyways, it was a GREAT showing today! At LEAST 60-70 mustangs there! Was pretty impressive for sure!
Hey, sorry I cant help you with the build. Just wanted to say I saw your ride few months back on the One-take, and your car and the work you did to it/your passion for it was really memorable. Loved it so much that its the only one-take I saw twice. Anyway, good job with the tasteful mods, apparently you didnt overdo it like a bunch of folks and really improved the car judging by Matts reactions!

Welcome to the forum! BTW-do you feel the throttle body and ported heads make a difference? I've heard mixed reactions to those mods....and do you have a lightened flywheel or stock?

Last edited:

SC_Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Ruby Red
Good morning [MENTION=20713]LIGISTX[/MENTION] it was awesome meeting you and your dad yesterday at Supper Car Sunday and welcome to M6G :cheers: With my Whipple kit I ordered their high flow 72# injectors which is the largest they offer right now in order to stay CARB certified in CA. You will also want to make sure you get their larger 132 MM TB and dual fan kit. Their kit will come with all the other parts required including spark plugs and lower temp thermostat. I emailed your dad the install manual so you can read through it and get a better feel. I am waiting till I get the new BMR components installed and my new wheels and tires to see how it rides then I may be looking at a Driveshaft. Other members on the forum have gone back to the factory driveshaft due to increase in NVH and since this is my DD not sure I'll go that route. You may want to check out these members build threads as they were a few of the Whipple installs and builds that I followed and learned a lot from and they are great guys. [MENTION=8761]Jmeo[/MENTION] (Jaime) and [MENTION=11627]gsxr1300[/MENTION] (Jason). Look forward to seeing the progress on the car and seeing your car when the weather warms up :cheers:

Last edited:
OP
OP
LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 V6 Mustang
what fuel are you planning to run?

Cali 91. But not goin e85 or anything.

Hey, sorry I cant help you with the build. Just wanted to say I saw your ride few months back on the One-take, and your car and the work you did to it/your passion for it was really memorable. Loved it so much that its the only one-take I saw twice. Anyway, good job with the tasteful mods, apparently you didnt overdo it like a bunch of folks and really improved the car judging by Matts reactions!

Welcome to the forum! BTW-do you feel the throttle body and ported heads make a difference? I've heard mixed reactions to those mods....and do you have a lightened flywheel or stock?

Thanks for the compliment! I am actually about to throw some motor mounts on... Which worries me, it's the first "not tatseful" and "because race car" mod, but if I don't like them I will take them off and sell them. We will see.

As far as TB and manifolds go, yea together they made a serious difference. The TB alone does nothing, but the ported manifolds increase power throughout the curve and create a situation where the motor flatlines after peak power instead of falling off a cliff. So out until 7200+ rpm my hp is constantly right about 270-275 at the wheels instead of falling down a bunch. And as of now my clutch and flywheel are stock, but since my father will be getting a McLeod setup, I plan to swap his stock stuff into my car in order to eliminate the dual mass POS the v6 has, and it looks like the GT's is ~11lbs less!

My dyno graph for reference about power: (was 91 degrees out as well... And Cali gas isn't helping me any)

Good morning [MENTION=20713]LIGISTX[/MENTION] it was awesome meeting you and your dad yesterday at Supper Car Sunday and welcome to M6G :cheers: With my Whipple kit I ordered their high flow 72# injectors which is the largest they offer right now in order to stay CARB certified in CA. You will also want to make sure you get their larger 132 MM TB and dual fan kit. Their kit will come with all the other parts required including spark plugs and lower temp thermostat. I emailed your dad the install manual so you can read through it and get a better feel. I am waiting till I get the new BMR components installed and my new wheels and tires to see how it rides then I may be looking at a Driveshaft. Other members on the forum have gone back to the factory driveshaft due to increase in NVH and since this is my DD not sure I'll go that route. You may want to check out these members build threads as they were a few of the Whipple installs and builds that I followed and learned a lot from and they are great guys. [MENTION=8761]Jmeo[/MENTION] (Jaime) and [MENTION=11627]gsxr1300[/MENTION] (Jason). Look forward to seeing the progress on the car and seeing your car when the weather warms up :cheers:

Thanks for all the help! And I will look over the email and take it all Ito consideration!

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Welcome [MENTION=20713]LIGISTX[/MENTION].

You don't need a DS but it reduces rotational weight. Always a good thing.

On the other hand, cost vs bang for buck is debated on it.

Good luck.

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
Get the RXT clutch it is worth the money. I would also get the 1100 half shafts since you are a manual.

OP
OP
LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 V6 Mustang
Get the RXT clutch it is worth the money. I would also get the 1100 half shafts since you are a manual.

What is the difference besides holding more power? We don't plan to push past the normal hp output, i.e. not going to change pulleys or anything exotic. We don't want to get anywhere near the failure point of the block or internal stock parts. Don't want to worry about oil or timing gears going out or anything. But if there is a reason besides "just more headroom for more power later" to get the RXT instead of RST I am very much open to suggestions!

OP
OP
LIGISTX

LIGISTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 V6 Mustang
Also [MENTION=16215]SC_Ruby[/MENTION] what are the gains of the larger throttle body and injectors? Could it run on the stock injectors? Just wondering, because if the stock injectors and included throttle body are good for say: 720 crank hp (just throwing out a number, I'm not sure what it's actually good for), we are not sure it's worth the extra money for say 50 more hp.

How much do the TB and injectors cost, and what are the gains? Thanks!

SC_Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Ruby Red
Also [MENTION=16215]SC_Ruby[/MENTION] what are the gains of the larger throttle body and injectors? Could it run on the stock injectors? Just wondering, because if the stock injectors and included throttle body are good for say: 720 crank hp (just throwing out a number, I'm not sure what it's actually good for), we are not sure it's worth the extra money for say 50 more hp.

How much do the TB and injectors cost, and what are the gains? Thanks!k
Whipple recommends the larger TB as I believe it allows it to breathe as it was designed along with their tune. I'm not sure as to the extra HP from the various parts as I started out wanting the Larger TB and high flow injectors to take advantage of their newest tune. I would email Dustin at Whipple or send them a PM. They are great at getting back to you and making sure all your questions are answered and then you know you're getting correct info.
Sponsored