Sponsored

Best way to remove toe link knuckle?

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Hey guys,
Doing FRPP track suspension kit install myself. What is the best way to remove the stock rear vertical link toe knuckle? These things are in solid!

Everything else wasnt too difficult. I may take it to a shop to swap them out when I get my alignment done.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-5A460-M
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Exactly as described in the directions worked for me.

C clamp with a big ass socket on one end and a long ass extension on the other. That presses out the bearing itself then used an air hammer to destroy the remaining metal sleeve. Repeat the C clamp process to press it back in.

OP
OP
Monopoly

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks EFI!
You wouldnt happen to remember the socket size? :)

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
It was a big one, I think like a 24 or 26. You can measure to see what the inner diameter of the metal portion is right after the bearing ends. That's what you would be using to press it in.

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I ended up giving up. The c clamp I had wasn't large enough accommodate the sleeve and the socket. Couldn't get everything centered correctly. The instructions call for a 1 1/4 in socket i think, but many people say they used a larger one because it seemed far to small. I had a 36mm axle nut socket that seemed to fit pretty well. Good luck.

Sponsored

zrwhat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Easiest to remove the knuckle/hub assembly and take it to a shop that has a hydraulic press. I bought a ball joint press and actually had the knuckle/hub's completely off the car and still couldn't make it work.

OP
OP
Monopoly

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lovelyyyyyy. Ok screw it im taking it in lol. Needs an alignment anyways. Thanks everyone!

I tried the C-Clamp technique mine was also not large enough. 1 1/4 socket as Ford instructions indicated wasnt large enough.

Last edited:

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Im about to give this another shot in a couple of days. Does anyone have any advice? Last time my C clamp as shown in the picture wasn't large enough to accommodate A sleeve on on side for the bearing to pop out into, and a socket on the other side to press the bearing out. What tools/ Techniques are you guys using to remove the toe link bearing? Im trying to avoid having to pull the knuckle off and taking it to a shop, or resorting to hammer and socket to pound it out.

This video just says its hard but doesnt say how.
image_26682.jpg

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Rent a bigger C clamp bushing replacement tool? We did my RLCA bearing with one of those and its a monster.

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Just thought Id offer up some follow up since I got all this done. I used jack and jack stands.
You MUST use a shallow socket if you have the standard ball joint service kit. Most C frames are only 8 inches and a deep socket will be to large to fit everything in (Receiver mount, receiver tube, bearing,socket).
A 1 1/4 in socket (which is what the Ford directions call for) equates to 31.75mm. I tried to use a 32mm socket non impact (so the walls are thinner) and it only pushed out the rubber part of the bushing but left the metal housing. I then had to use a 33mm impact socket to push it out. It takes a LOT of strength to push the thing out. I couldn't get an impact to fit in there do to clearance issues and did it with a 1/2 in drive ratchet.

Overall it isn't to hard. The hardest part is trying to hold 5 things at once while you line your clamp up with everything. After that its just muscle power to push the thing out. Make sure everything is centered before you start to push it through. You dont wanna ruin the knuckle and is soft aluminum.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Just thought Id offer up some follow up since I got all this done. I used jack and jack stands.
You MUST use a shallow socket if you have the standard ball joint service kit. Most C frames are only 8 inches and a deep socket will be to large to fit everything in (Receiver mount, receiver tube, bearing,socket).
A 1 1/4 in socket (which is what the Ford directions call for) equates to 31.75mm. I tried to use a 32mm socket non impact (so the walls are thinner) and it only pushed out the rubber part of the bushing but left the metal housing. I then had to use a 33mm impact socket to push it out. It takes a LOT of strength to push the thing out. I couldn't get an impact to fit in there do to clearance issues and did it with a 1/2 in drive ratchet.

Overall it isn't to hard. The hardest part is trying to hold 5 things at once while you line your clamp up with everything. After that its just muscle power to push the thing out. Make sure everything is centered before you start to push it through. You dont wanna ruin the knuckle and is soft aluminum.
I'm going to give this a shot Saturday with a 33 mm short impact and a rental ball joint service kit.
Sponsored