Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Do you happen to have a picture of your setup? You're just doing the toe link bearings, right?

Should be using one of these for the toe link bearings, you'll need a shop press for the RLCA bearings.

71bZfi545xL._AC_SL1297_.jpg
Sponsored

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
I've done this on 3 S550's now and it was easy every time, once I used the right tool. I tried doing this job on my 2015 EB with a ball joint press, and I actually bent the C-frame trying to get it to budge. So I ended up buying a bearing/bushing kit off Amazon for around $80. When it came in, I made sure to lubricate the rod threads, then put it to use. All I can say is, WOW! Made the job easy, and same for my 2018 EB and my wife's 2016 V6.

Edit: Almost forgot to add... This works for both the toe link bushings and the LCA bushings. Much better than using a shop press for the LCA's which is awkward as hell.

Here is a pic of the kit.
61dk43XuiEL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I used a ball joint press for both. Toe bearing came out easy.
Rlca did as well once the rubber was cut out and then one or 2 cuts were put in the outer sleeve. Rlca bearing took maybe 10 minutes a side in a vise that way.

That bushing press kit from amazon looks nice though!

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I've done this on 3 S550's now and it was easy every time, once I used the right tool. I tried doing this job on my 2015 EB with a ball joint press, and I actually bent the C-frame trying to get it to budge. So I ended up buying a bearing/bushing kit off Amazon for around $80. When it came in, I made sure to lubricate the rod threads, then put it to use. All I can say is, WOW! Made the job easy, and same for my 2018 EB and my wife's 2016 V6.

Edit: Almost forgot to add... This works for both the toe link bushings and the LCA bushings. Much better than using a shop press for the LCA's which is awkward as hell.

Here is a pic of the kit.
61dk43XuiEL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
This is the same kit I've got. I've used it previously on another car and it worked fine, but on the mustang, both the toe link and LCA bearing both snapped the threaded rod. Bought another threaded rod and snapped that one too, so for some reason my bearings don't want to come out. That's why i thought a 10 ton press would do the job better.

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is the same kit I've got. I've used it previously on another car and it worked fine, but on the mustang, both the toe link and LCA bearing both snapped the threaded rod. Bought another threaded rod and snapped that one too, so for some reason my bearings don't want to come out. That's why i thought a 10 ton press would do the job better.
Wow! I've never come close to snapping the rod. I don't know if you lubricated the rod before use, but if you don't the threads will probably gall under extreme load, thus causing binding and snapping the rod. I actually cleaned the threaded rods and then put anti-seize on them, then ran one of the nuts up and down a few times to make sure the threads were coated. After each use, I refresh the anti-seize on the rod. I did this due to having a similar experience as you with a cheap ball joint press.

Sponsored

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I used axle grease. Not as good as molykote or anti-seize, but still lubricated. And like i said, i've used it before on another car and worked fine. Just hope the bearings aren't seized in there for some stupid reason!!

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I used axle grease. Not as good as molykote or anti-seize, but still lubricated. And like i said, i've used it before on another car and worked fine. Just hope the bearings aren't seized in there for some stupid reason!!
Sorry to hear that. Worst case there is the old school method of drill out the bushing rubber to remove the center sleeve, then using a reciprocating saw to CAREFULLY cut the outer sleeve from the inside. It takes finesse, but makes it easy to knock out, seized or not. LOL

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Spray some PB Blaster on the joint between the bearing and knuckle, both sides, and then heat the knuckle up with a propane or MAPP gas torch to allow it to expand a little and pull the penetrant into the connection. The aluminum knuckle will wick heat away pretty quickly so overheating it shouldn't be an issue, but check it periodically with an IR thermometer to stay under 300F.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Sorry to hear that. Worst case there is the old school method of drill out the bushing rubber to remove the center sleeve, then using a reciprocating saw to CAREFULLY cut the outer sleeve from the inside. It takes finesse, but makes it easy to knock out, seized or not. LOL

Just to add I found that the outer sleeve doesn't need to be cut all the way through for it to have tension relived. 2 cuts 180 degrees from each other works great. I made it about half way through the outer sleeves. Maybe bit more. Use hammer and flat head screwdriver to knock the outer sleeve edges near the cut marks in and you're set.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I’m half done; one toe bearing and one lca bearing are in. The toe bearing was doable with the 23 piece rented autozone hand tool set; the lca bearing required a 20 ton press. A 10 ton press did precisely nothing.

Sponsored

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I’m half done; one toe bearing and one lca bearing are in. The toe bearing was doable with the 23 piece rented autozone hand tool set; the lca bearing required a 20 ton press. A 10 ton press did precisely nothing.
Good to know! Thanks!!

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The second LCA bearing was barely troubled by the 20 ton press. I had to drill out the rubber, sawzall the inside of the metal part of the bushing, and then crush the exposed edge of the bushing in the vise to get it to break free. 5 out of 5 wrenches on the difficulty scale. This project took longer than the whipple install. Do not underestimate the difficulty.

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So I'm bringing this thread back to life :)

Question: For those that used a ball joint press. What did you use to hold(make contact) with the socket (1 1/4 or 33mm or 35mm..whatever you used)?

Thanks

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was a 1 3/8 inch shallow socket on one side (to push the bushing out) and one of the spacers from the balljoint press kit on the other side (to allow the bushing to come out).

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It was a 1 3/8 inch shallow socket on one side (to push the bushing out) and one of the spacers from the balljoint press kit on the other side (to allow the bushing to come out).
Am I understanding this correctly: The blunt end of the 'screw' contacted the socket? There was no adapter (1/2 inch drive) to connect to the socket?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored