Sponsored

Ford Performance Knuckle To Toe Link Bearing Assembly

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I may have used a flat piece of steel or something, I don't remember. You have to go a little rube goldberg with the press if the situation commands it.
Sponsored

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
OK, now I have visions of me somehow taping the socket onto the end of the 'screw'

I sure hope I don't regret trying this.. I definitely don't want to pay a shop several hundred, and I don't want to take out the lower control arm...

I appreciate the help..

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
You only need to take out the LCA if you are doing the LCA bearings. The toe link bearing is in the spindle, so you don't have to deal with those two big bolts that attach the LCA deep in the bowels of the car or wrestle with dropping the subframe. It is possible to do the toe bearings with the spindle still attached to the car, but I recommend removing it. The actual act of removing the toe bushings and replacing them with the bearings is not nearly as difficult as the LCA bearings, regardless of how you choose to approach it.

Black9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Used the same kit as KewlWinter...first one was a bitch until it started to move, the other side was a little easier knowing what to expect. Installing was a piece of cake using the same tool,just be sure to use anti seize or grease on the tool threads. Did it on the car.

Sponsored

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Used the same kit as KewlWinter...first one was a bitch until it started to move, the other side was a little easier knowing what to expect. Installing was a piece of cake using the same tool,just be sure to use anti seize or grease on the tool threads. Did it on the car.
You just talked me into buying that kit. It looks like it will be easier than trying to keep all the parts together with the ball joint press. That and the fact it is designed specially for this type of job. I will grease it up and hope I donā€™t break it.

Black9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I hit mine with PB blaster, hit it with a little heat ( a little) and had at it...make sure you have a good breaker bar and I put the new bearings in the freezer for a bit...good luck

OP
OP
Tuxedomouse

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
And honestly, taking the spindle off (or the LCA) is not really that difficult. Just remember if you take off the spindle you need new axle nuts from a dealer, it's a replacement item after they've been removed.

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
And honestly, taking the spindle off (or the LCA) is not really that difficult. Just remember if you take off the spindle you need new axle nuts from a dealer, it's a replacement item after they've been removed.
Thanks.

I have a nice cold freezer in my garage, and some PB Blaster ready to go.

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I got the bearings in today, and with the bearing press kit, it wasn't really bad at all. I used the PB blaster, heated around the bushings(not much), and had the bearings in the freezer over night.

Only snag I had was figuring out I needed to use the smallest 'cup' when pressing the bearings in so that it would clear the lower control arm. After I figured that out, it only took me about 30 mins to do the second bearing(including pressing out the bushing).

Review: I drove part of my normal commute to work since I am really familiar with that drive/road. On the drive there is a left turn which has a little dip (like two small bumps with a dip in the middle), which has always unsettled the car. This time I could of course still feel the dip, but the suspension did not get unsettled as it always has.. it seem like the car drove through it, and it wasn't quite as bouncy...

The other part has a larger dip where a culvert was put in (road crew did a crappy job patching the road), and again it seem to take the dip, instead of getting a little bouncy..

I can say when I put on the BMR cradle lockout the car definitely became less bouncy(and stopped squatting on take off), and it seem like these bearings have further enhanced that.

I may have a placebo affect going, but I really don't thinks so... Time will tell with my commute to work, etc.

Thank you all for the tips, etc.

Sponsored

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Nice! Glad it went well. Now youā€™re ready to tackle the LCA bearings!
I think I could do it with that bearing kit, but not sure I want to. This is my daily driver and I want to keep it somewhat ā€˜softā€™. I do have the mageride which is something I really wanted so the car would be nice for daily driving. Of course I can make the suspension stiffen up with a switch. I know it wonā€™t compare with some of the setups these folks have on this forum, but it works for me.

OP
OP
Tuxedomouse

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
With the adjustable shocks set soft, I think you would still get a smooth ride, but your compliance would improve. When I saw that video that showed how much our control arms move in unintended directions with the factory bushings, I ordered the bearings up right away. But you do what you're comfortable with; I'm always fine with giving away some comfort to sharpen the edges of response on my car

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
With the adjustable shocks set soft, I think you would still get a smooth ride, but your compliance would improve. When I saw that video that showed how much our control arms move in unintended directions with the factory bushings, I ordered the bearings up right away. But you do what you're comfortable with; I'm always fine with giving away some comfort to sharpen the edges of response on my car
Definitely on the fence on it for now. I know I cannot leave things alone when it comes to a car like the mustang.. I have to keep tweaking it :)..

The toe bearing seem to have made the car handle a little more firmly in certain situations (like those dips I described), and I'm ok with it because it doesn't get unsettled, which always bugged me.

If I did put in the LCA bearings I would also put on the Steeda shock mounts to help. At least from my reading on this forum those are a good thing to add with the LCA bearings...

Anyway thanks again for the feedback/tips.. they were very helpful.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Hereā€™s my recent (6 weeks) experience of adding the Ford Perf. Toe link knuckles and Steeda LCA bearings (+ their vertical links).

Fabulous! Wouldnā€™t go back. Iā€™m absolutely convinced the car is more comfortable and composed now. I had already added BMR min lower springs, CB005 and Steeda shock mounts.

My car is a 2015 Aussie car and ours came with the Perf Pack. Magazine reports comment on the improved ride and steering of the 2019 model. I wonder if Ford made a subtle change to the LCA bushing then?
Sponsored