MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
You don't even need the clutch spring. Just pop it out. No worries.

I found that's a touch heavy, and this coming from someone who drove without it - pulled it 2 days after delivery and kept it like that for several months.

There's also some discussion about whether not having some resistance could be detrimental to the clutch system - honestly, I don't have an opinion, but if there's a chance, the aftermarket spring prevents this and gives better clutch action for $20, seems like a why not?
Sponsored

Seanay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A PP2
@Steeda can i get the forum discount code to get those rails for under $100 PLS

Nutkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I love when a cheap mod blows away your expectations. Just installed the Steeda clutch assist spring/perch, and wow, night and day difference. I really didnā€™t like the factory pedal feel and sloppy engagement point. I think this as an absolute must for any MT owner.
What does the clutch spring actually do? Make the clutch heavier or lighter, it is already pretty heavy.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
What does the clutch spring actually do? Make the clutch heavier or lighter, it is already pretty heavy.

It's horrifically __light__ from the factory, the OEM spring is 185 lbs, this drops the assist to 35 lbs, so it makes is heavier and it provides from consistent assist pressure across the entire range of motion.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
It's horrifically __light__ from the factory, the OEM spring is 185 lbs, this drops the assist to 35 lbs, so it makes is heavier and it provides from consistent assist pressure across the entire range of motion.
Ford changed to the heavy spring when they discovered an issue with the S197. Where the centrifugal forces at high RPMS was causing the clutch pedal not to return during high RPM shifts.

The clutch basically creates a vacuum and sucks the throw out bearing towards it, since the system is hydraulic it pulls the pedal in.

Fords solution was to go to a heavier spring, the side effect being a lighter clutch pedal.

There is a documented TSB on this issue if you want to Google it.

Steeda knows what they are doing so swapping to the lighter steeda spring wont harm anything but some have noted that the clutch pedal feels lighter at high RPMS with the steeda spring installed thats normal. You're essentially reversing one of Ford's earlier repairs afterall...

I bring this up because there is a reason why ford chose the spring they did it wasnt solely because they wanted a lighter clutch, they've been building Mustangs for 50 years with heavy clutches... The Coyotes high reving motor brought new issues that they're learning how to solve

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
The best functional mod was definitely the Steeda Jacking Rails. However I'm also kinda partial to this one.
IMG_4506x.jpg

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoostā„¢, Vert, MagneRideĀ® PP
Vehicle Showcase
"Typically 20 - 30 runs" $89 to the Speed Ventures* event folks, $10 gate fee to Auto Club Speedway. Grind your tires down to a useful tread depth, learn how many close-in-time runs before serious brake fade, how long between runs to avoid it. There's likely some similar outfit near you, if you're not in SoCal.

This kind of Driver Mod is never a total mistake, and lasts a long time.

*These guys offer road course experiences, but at about twice the $100 ceiling,

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
I have the same shift knob. I love it. I vote shift knob, because it is a driver assist mod. Much like the clutch pedal, the knob is in constant contact with the driver. It all boils down to preference, but I have no regrets swapping the knob over a year ago. The stock knob got hot or cold depending on the season/weather, and the carbon fiber knob never has temp issues. The Steeda spring has been on for over two years. That was a necessary mod. No reason to change now. I'm happy with the balanced clutch feel.

Sponsored