corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You do not want to use track pads like GLOC/Carbotech unless you want to sound like a school bus on the street.
R-series and XP-series will make noise, mainly during low-energy stops and gradual slowing. They are, after all, entry- to maybe mid-level track pads. But this can be minimized by working some harder-than-necessary braking into your otherwise normal driving. With due regard for any following traffic, of course.

GS-1 is silent on the street.

Norm
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
R-series and XP-series will make noise, mainly during low-energy stops and gradual slowing. They are, after all, entry- to maybe mid-level track pads. But this can be minimized by working some harder-than-necessary braking into your otherwise normal driving. With due regard for any following traffic, of course.

GS-1 is silent on the street.

Norm
My GS-1s were not silent. I tried the harder stops with the R10 and R8s and it still didn't work. School bus. Just my personal experience. IMO for a street pad to be silent it needs to have backing plates/shims to help keep things quiet which GLOC doesn't have. Also, no real reason to drive on the street with those pads.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
R and XP pads won't ever be completely silent. But the noise levels can be minimized.

I really don't know what to tell you about your GS-1 experience. If they'd made noise on the LGT we used to have, I'd have heard all about it.

As far as R and XP pads on the street goes, I never did like the soft, unsatisfying 'bite' that either the OE pads or HPS pads gave me on my '08. Your car's OE brakes may feel a bit better than mine ever did.

Norm

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 GT with PP1 with 26k miles on it, how long should the brakes last? I do highway and city driving .....no track. Thank you
I have the same exact car and my go to guy at my dealer the last time I was there for my oil change said my brakes are still going good and I have 30k miles. I am going to keep a closer eye on them though but I am only street and highway. I have done autocross once.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
You said "performance" so I assume you mean track pads...

Not in any particular order:
1. G-Loc
2. Carbotech
3. Ferodo
4. Pagid
5. Raybestos
6. Hawk (DCT line only. HP+ is not a track pad)

Check out KNSbrakes.com as they have all the top brands
I am no brake expert at all so I am just curious. No one has mentioned Brembo even though they are on our cars in some form with the PP packages. Maybe the pads are not Brembo or they just aren't that good?

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I am no brake expert at all so I am just curious. No one has mentioned Brembo even though they are on our cars in some form with the PP packages. Maybe the pads are not Brembo or they just aren't that good?
Brembo makes the calipers but Ferodo makes the OEM pads

65 falcon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
grahame
Vehicle(s)
65 ford falcon / Audi Q2
Has anyone changed out their OEM brake pads for a performance brand, and if so, what brand did you go with? Thanks!
Have you looked at Performance Friction pads, Z rate offer street/ track day pad, low dust and no noise.

bergdon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
I'm very satisfied with the braking power of my Carbotech pads.

5.0_sittinlow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Hi,

I have a 2015 Gt (non PP) and I'll be due for a brake change pretty soon (pads as well as rotors). The car is my daily but I do a little bit of street racing on the weekends for fun sometimes. I've seen a lot of reviews for Powerstop pads and rotors but I'm on the fence. Does anyone have experience with either the Powerstop Z23 or Z26? Or should I just stick with OEM pads and rotors for now?

Thanks

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
Hi,

I have a 2015 Gt (non PP) and I'll be due for a brake change pretty soon (pads as well as rotors). The car is my daily but I do a little bit of street racing on the weekends for fun sometimes. I've seen a lot of reviews for Powerstop pads and rotors but I'm on the fence. Does anyone have experience with either the Powerstop Z23 or Z26? Or should I just stick with OEM pads and rotors for now?

Thanks
I have the PP1, so this may not be apples to apples with yours, but the stock Ferodo pads in the 6-piston Brembos had a very noticeable initial bite and produced a god-awful amount of dust. I recently switched to Z23s and the pedal feel is much more linear and predictable, with virtually zero dust.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Has anyone changed out their OEM brake pads for a performance brand, and if so, what brand did you go with? Thanks!
I'm on EBC Blue front pads and stock rears. It's a fairly sporty street compound, but not a real race pad. The braking is really nice, especially if you really want to use the brakes instead of just slow down. It does sing when you're in traffic and just barely drag the brakes, though.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I'm quite happy with my Raybestos street performance pads and slotted rotors paired with Brembos. The pads have a temp threshold of 1200F, so similar to GLOC R8s. Minimal noise. I'd say they have more bite than the PP Ferado pads. It's a good budget option for those who want more stopping power. But really the PP pads are good enough for autocross and light track duty IMO.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Wow, thanks for this thread. I just got my car last September and only have 12k KM on it and already the breaks are going squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek when I stop. Very discouraging for a sports car.

I'll be looking to swap these out for sure.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Wow, thanks for this thread. I just got my car last September and only have 12k KM on it and already the breaks are going squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek when I stop. Very discouraging for a sports car.

I'll be looking to swap these out for sure.
Hey, if your car needs new brake pads in 12k KM and you're the sole driver, maybe new pads isn't the only thing that car needs.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Hey, if your car needs new brake pads in 12k KM and you're the sole driver, maybe new pads isn't the only thing that car needs.
That's very true and so very helpful. Thank you LOL
Sponsored