Sponsored

Best Audio Upgrade on a Budget for Base Model?

blueskies925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (manual)
Hey Y'all,

Sorry in advance if this has been asked before.
I was looking for a better audio system for my base model '18 GT. Obviously it is subpar in quality, but I do not want to spend too much on a whole new system (unless I have no other options).
What kind of options do I have? Someone recommended me the JL Audio Stealthbox Subwoofer, but at $900, I feel that's out of my range and perhaps more than I need. Is it recommended to visit a local audio to get it done?

Appreciate any feedback and help, thanks!
Sponsored

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The first step would be to acquire forscan and reprogram the acm to eliminate the factory eq that's built into the programming. Then replace the speakers with some higher quality units. The improvement these 2 steps make is really unbelievable. The factory has so much bass rolloff to protect their cheap Speakers that you just won't believe it's the same system.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Define a budget and goals. Are you a basshead? Do you like more midrange?

$100 5 channel amp, and a decent set of $200 component speakers would have a big effect and help with midbass. Phase 2 could be either using the rear deck to house two subwoofers or adding a dedicated subwoofer, you will already have power from the amp to power them. Phase 3 would be using DSP if you want more control over the audio sound vs just using the head unit and Forscan.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
The first step would be to acquire forscan and reprogram the acm to eliminate the factory eq that's built into the programming. The factory has so much bass rolloff to protect their cheap Speakers that you just won't believe it's the same system.
Could you elaborate on this process of reprogramming the ACM to eliminate the factory EQ?

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
There is a sticky thread in the infotainment section that has all the details. I followed the steps outlined in a thread on a different forum on my wife's fusion and my mustang and the results were great. I don't believe I can post the link on this forum. Google how to fix mustang radio and it should pop up. I bought the more expensive cable to do it and my cost was $60 for the cable everything else was free. This one change did more than replacing the speakers did. Hope this doesn't get me in trouble, but it's so informative. https://www.mustangecoboost.net/threads/how-to-fix-factory-audio.14905/

Sponsored

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'20 MGT, '18 H-D Fat Bob 131ci, '17 Yaris
Question on defeating the EQ in the ACM............will the manual EQ adjustments in the base radio still function as designed after the EQ in the ACM is changed to the "0" or "flat" position?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Question on defeating the EQ in the ACM............will the manual EQ adjustments in the base radio still function as designed after the EQ in the ACM is changed to the "0" or "flat" position?
Yes they will still work.

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Right on! Just ordered up a cable. I'm very interested in how this change turns out.

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You will be amazed. Then once you upgrade the speakers you'll have a decent everyday radio. Add the alpine mustang upgrade kit and it will come alive.

Last edited:

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking about going with the Powerbass replacement speakers and calling it a day if I'm still wanting a bit more after the EQ mod. I much more enjoy listening the the motor and exhaust than the stereo.

Sponsored

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I've read good reviews on the power bass speakers, personally have no experience with them. I went with Rockford fosgate speakers for mine.

Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible / Velocity Blue / A10
Another cheap way to improve the sound is sound deadening. A few months ago I ordered some Kilmat from Amazon for $57. I put a layer on the inside of the door panels top stop them from rattling, and had a lot of material left over. It stopped the rattling, but didn't make much of a difference in overall sound. Last week I used some of the leftover mat to add additional to the door panels, added some to the interior of the doors, did the rear quarter panels, and under the rear seat. It made a noticeable difference in the sound; it's louder, the bass is much tighter, and there is no rattling anywhere in the car, even with the volume at max. I've still got about a quarter of the box left, so I'll be doing the trunk this weekend.

I have the B&O, so I'm sure that makes a difference over the base system, but if you're looking to get the most bang for your buck, I highly recommend it.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Anyone tried the Kicker 42PSC654 2-way speakers? 40-20,000 Hz, 92.5 dB sensitivity, poly woofer, titanium tweeter, $180 per pair. Should fit both the door and rear deck in 6 speaker systems. Seems like a solid choice for trying to squeeze the most volume and bass out of the stock head unit.

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Anyone tried the Kicker 42PSC654 2-way speakers? 40-20,000 Hz, 92.5 dB sensitivity, poly woofer, titanium tweeter, $180 per pair. Should fit both the door and rear deck in 6 speaker systems. Seems like a solid choice for trying to squeeze the most volume and bass out of the stock head unit.
I used a lower line kicker coax's in my wife's fusion and they did not improve the quality of sound in that car. I personally won't be buying any kicker products again. Found Polk to be much better, crutchfield says they don't fit I haven't tried them on the mustang but they sound great in my truck.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I don't know how much of an upgrade a plain speaker change will make. If you can find something that meets your needs great but the next step up is a big one. I just finished installing a sub this weekend and am planning adding another amp and front speakers. The minute you add an amp the costs will be significant especially if you are paying someone. On top of the amp and speakers you need power cable, fuse holder, speaker cable, DP, speaker adapters, t harness and associated harness wiring plus the labor to install door speakers, make an amp board, mount the amp and tune. You will then still need a subwoofer. The local shop quoted $2k (Cdn) just to supply and install the JL Stealth sub.
Sponsored