Sponsored

Best Audio Upgrade on a Budget for Base Model?

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
A quality speaker will make a difference, but it is most noticeable after the factory eq has been removed with forscan. I personally have come to the conclusion that removing the factory eq curve is the first step to improving sound quality in the newer Ford products. I've done it to the three we have purchased this year and even the stock 10 cent speakers sound way better after the procedure. Ymmv
Sponsored

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Factory EQ improvements may depend on the volume you listen at. I believe the bass roll off is volume dependent....could be wrong.... so there isn't much change at lower levels. The rear speakers are still useless (9 speaker system) and its still missing a sub but its $100 to try the Forscan and there are other uses for it.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
A quality speaker will make a difference, but it is most noticeable after the factory eq has been removed with forscan.
Yep did the Forscan change this weekend and can’t tell the difference, was hoping for a more noticable improvement. My two complaints with the stock base system are not enough volume or bass. Don’t know what the sensitivity of the stock speakers is, but 92.5 dB for these Kickers should produce a noticable increase in output volume. The speaker construction isn’t the usual coated paper with silk tweeter so was hoping someone could confirm a good sound with the improved bass and volume.

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yep did the Forscan change this weekend and can’t tell the difference, was hoping for a more noticable improvement. My two complaints with the stock base system are not enough volume or bass. Don’t know what the sensitivity of the stock speakers is, but 92.5 dB for these Kickers should produce a noticable increase in output volume. The speaker construction isn’t the usual coated paper with silk tweeter so was hoping someone could confirm a good sound with the improved bass and volume.
Every time I've done it, there has been a very noticeable improvement in sound especially in the bass, above 16 the bass would roll off and the highs were ear piercing, after forscan the highs were way more pleasant and the bass remained strong all the way to max volume. Maybe my ears are just more sensitive but the doctor's say I have a 30% hearing loss. Go figure, everyone is different no doubt.

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Factory EQ improvements may depend on the volume you listen at. I believe the bass roll off is volume dependent....could be wrong.... so there isn't much change at lower levels. The rear speakers are still useless (9 speaker system) and its still missing a sub but its $100 to try the Forscan and there are other uses for it.
The bass is definitely volume dependent, but the over accentuation of treble the factory eq's in is not. Removal of the ear piercing highs was a massive improvement throughout for me.

On the 9 speaker system one of the biggest improvements I felt was unplugging the center speaker. It totally destroys stereo separation. My wife's Ecoboost sounds really good with the removal of the center a speaker change in woofer and mid-range, in the doors and forscan. Btw used Coax for mid and disconnected pillar tweeters.

Sponsored

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
..My wife's Ecoboost sounds really good with the removal of the center a speaker change in woofer and mid-range, in the doors and forscan. Btw used Coax for mid and disconnected pillar tweeters.
So you put in another 6.5 woofer and a 3.5 coax with the stock amp and were happy with it? What speakers did you use? Do you have a sub?

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Every time I've done it, there has been a very noticeable improvement in sound especially in the bass, above 16 the bass would roll off and the highs were ear piercing, after forscan the highs were way more pleasant and the bass remained strong all the way to max volume.
Are you able to tell me what exact Forscan changes you made? Wondering if I did it wrong.

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So you put in another 6.5 woofer and a 3.5 coax with the stock amp and were happy with it? What speakers did you use? Do you have a sub?
That's exactly what I did. I had a set of Rockford fosgate separates, i used the woofer and left the tweeter out as they are a little too bright for my taste. I used a set of Kenwood 3.5 Coax for the mid tweeter combo. Used the supplied bass blockers that came with them. The results were outstanding. The fosgate woofers being powered by the factory dsp/amp put out phenomenal bass for not having a sub the bass is really strong in my wife's Ecoboost premium. Also disconnected the a pillar tweeters. Fosgate prime 1675s were the 6.5, Kenwood kfc-x3c are the mids I used. I do plan to also replace the rear deck speakers with fosgate 3 ways that I have.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I changed 727-01-02. 01xx to 727-01-02. 00xx that is the only change I've made for the acm.
Just checked in Forscan and I may have screwed something up...it currently reads 0088 B9 and I think I may have accidentally deleted 2 characters in the "B9" section. Seems like there should be 4 characters there. Any chance you could tell me what your exact 727-01-02 entry is with all 8 digits? If not no problem, I know it's a pain.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Just checked in Forscan and I may have screwed something up...it currently reads 0088 B9 and I think I may have accidentally deleted 2 characters in the "B9" section. Seems like there should be 4 characters there. Any chance you could tell me what your exact 727-01-02 entry is with all 8 digits? If not no problem, I know it's a pain.
I would suggest you download your as-built data from Motorcraft. You can find all your original values there. https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt
Keep that data handy.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
and back up / save before you make changes

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I added Sync 3 myself and the APIM was from a Fusion I believe so wonder if that would work?

I did back up the file before changing 727-01-02 but couldn’t reload it for some reason ugh.
Ok. Then you're F'd...

Just kidding. Find someone with an Ecoboost and Sync 3 and see what their code is. Your car has active noise cancelling and my as built would be different.

Just did some checking. I think there are only 2 digits in the second bank as that should be the checksum.
The first 2 digits 00 turns off the EQ.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
OK I had also changed 727-01-01, from info found elsewhere online. Changed that back to the original values and now the radio is much better.

Also the B9 mentioned in my earlier post turned out to be the checksum automatically calculated by Forscan.

Finally, found a program online called “AsBuiltExplorer” and was able to use it to view my factory as-built (.ab) file downloaded from Ford.
Sponsored