Sponsored

Beginning to think I don't know how to drive a mustang...

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
well it seems if any of you are in my area you are more then welcome to drive my car and show me how its done :) several of you have said what I have heard others say i can blip the throttle or i get above (fill in rpm) and my car breaks loose.... I do all these things and nada. Like i said i can have the trans in sport, the mode in drag, traction control switch held up until it says its fully off on my screen, IM tuned, on a long flat straight away and I can nail it pedal to the floor .. i take of like hell and can out run most anything local but I dont loose traction I hardly screech a tire. I have gone to empty parking lots same set up hit the gas cut the wheel nope... I just go in a fast circle. IM over here trying like hell and cant thats why I find it so confusing how these people leave a gas station and are in a tree. yall that say you can very easily lose traction ..do you have a super chargers or what not anything above oem? and im serious if you are in my area please stop by and show me. also how many of you have a 18-19 gt maybe the year makes a difference. and im sure the trans does since im auto also my rear tires are out wider then my front and i have the front lowered but not the back... that might make a difference. We have a drifting school near here Im thinking of going so they can show me LOL

I dont know if Im more curious as to why I cant or to why they can. LOL at end of day Im glad my car is so stable but just makes me curious how they end up that way not trying and I cant rtrying. :)
I have an A10 with pp1 and I couldn't spin the tires either without actually doing a burnout holding the brakes in before I was supercharged. You don't want to. That's why you can outrun almost everything local.

Under 50 degrees you'll get more tire spin especially accelerating out of turns.

Edit: and you have upgraded your tires. Makes a huge difference.
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thinking about it, it does make sense. Being a 10 speed and having such short underdrive gears, if there wasn't any torque modulation the car would be all over the place.
Ford puts in a lot of torque management nannies in. Roush has a rep for doing the same but my last cal they removed a lot of them. I can barely get grip now.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I think the PS4s keep the car magically connected to pavement
I have to agree. I spent the first year of s550 ownership testing the limits. No matter how out of control I get my gt those ps4s bring it right back around.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
So is it being foolish to drive a car that never came with these systems on the street, or drive a car whose versions of same weren't particularly effective? If not, how would turning AdvanceTrac off in an S550 be any different?

Be a little careful here. As long as you can avoid most such situations ever getting to the panic stage, and can successfully cope with the ones that get close, the computer being better/faster doesn't buy you a better outcome than "no incident". I'm saying this with some basis in actual experience.

No flame intended.

Norm
Thanks Norm. Not to disagree with what you wrote, I'm just suggesting that not taking advantage of the technology or thinking that you can handle an unexpected emergency better than a computer that is standing by, un-distracted, is perhaps unwise. Of course it's best to avoid those situations. Of course you can't turn off the traction control or ABS on a 1980 Mustang. But it didn't have 465 horsepower either.

I read so many guys on these forums write "the first thing I do after I start the car is turn off the <stability control acronym> before I start off". That's nuts.

Anywho... there is another thread, somewhere on this forum, where the OP is an A10 owner and complains of not being able to turn off the stability control all the way. This reminds me of that. I wish you'd posted this a month ago, @Briebee72 as I was in Asheville and would have been happy to take your car out in the rain and try to do doughnuts in it. LOL Speaking of: have you tried to do these things in the rain?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
It looks bad ass even if it cant spin a tire LOL
Well I can spin a much better tire whenever I want with my MT82. As for auto v manual, the torque tables are vastly different for both, and with a manual you are putting more power to the ground.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
One thing about the tune I had, I think it limited traction control to some degree. It was to the point that I could not give it he** in 1st gear. Sometimes 2nd too. I agree that it might be you having an auto trans. I have 3.73 gears too, which will tend to spin quicker. After adjusting to the slight decrease in power without a tune I find the throttle less fussy to deal with in regard to wheelspin. I need more tire!

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Well I can spin a much better tire whenever I want with my MT82. As for auto v manual, the torque tables are vastly different for both, and with a manual you are putting more power to the ground.
Alright so I'm not just talking out of my rear. Anywhere that these are posted? I'm curious how different it looks.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
HPtuners site. I'm learning a lot over there.
Just a quick glance had me stumble upon torque truncation. Something that people are saying is a set parameter that, when exceeded, will adjust spark and fuel ratios to limit torque to protect transmission life. Fascinating. Thanks for giving me some toilet reading!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Fascinating. Thanks for giving me some toilet reading!
Np buddy. Check out the throttle section. The throttle pedal doesn't open the throttle body like most think. I commands engine torque !! 31% throttle pedal means 31% torque delivery, not 31% throttle body opening.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I'm with OP. My GT convertible won't break the tires loose, either. I can get it to chirp the rear tires a little, but that's it. Once it gets moving it accelerates nicely, though. I suspect the weight and 3.15 gears hamper it.

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Yes, I am a “senior,” but I DID go through Bob Bondurant School of High performance Driving out on Maricopa Road in Chandler, AZ. Among other things, we learned how to do figure 8’s while “drifting” and it is great fun. We also learned the “fast” line around a turn.

In these “Mustang Fails” videos I see on the internet, I see untrained drivers doing less-than-smart things. They step on the gas while still turning out of the parking lot and STAY IN IT until they are completely out of control. This smacks of “high school Harry” mentality, wherein you must show your "bravery," usually only in front of witnesses, most of whom couldn't care less about you, by doing something stupid … and boy, do they. I suppose it can be entertaining to see someone else wreck his or her car on front of a crowd of cheering people ... but it surely isn't very bright. The cops will not be understanding, and neither will the insurance company. When the cops cite you for "Exhibition driving," "Display of Speed," or whatever being-an-idiot law you broke, insurance companies usually won't pay.

My car is a 2019 Premium GT, 6-speed in Kona Blue with Bronze wheels and white Dayton stripes. Seems like EVERYONE wants to race when I drive … except the cops. I do NOT street race and, if I decide to do something stupid, it is away from any onlookers. To my way of thinking, only people without any high-performance training or any track time let a car get sideways and stay in the power until they crash. My car simply does not misbehave like the ones I see on YouTube, likely because I don’t LET it. Once the rear end steps out and you make your first correction, don’t overcorrect. It’s time to regain traction by at least backing off on the gas a bit … unless your only goal is to show off. If that’s the case, then by all means, go ahead and wreck your nice Mustang. We’ll all laugh at the results on YouTube. If your goal is to get around the track in the fastest time, sliding will NOT help you in the least since it slows you down. If you are drifting, then sliding 2 or all 4 wheels has a place, but not really otherwise, especially on public roads, unless they are closed off like in the Ken Block videos.

When I slide on a track, it is almost always because I overcook it a bit on cold tires, usually in the first 1 or 2 laps.

My conclusion is there is nothing much wrong with the Mustang other than the individual drivers. Sure, it can use some “stop the hop” and other handling upgrades if you plan to track it but, for a car that stays on the street, it’s just fine, handles well, stops well (PP1 car with Brembos) and seemingly has few vices. The only issue I have had is the selectable exhaust mode … the valve just went inop. Ford will fix it under warranty but, should it ever go inop again, I’ll have them remove it and disable the warning. I didn’t really want that anyway.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I'm with OP. My GT convertible won't break the tires loose, either. I can get it to chirp the rear tires a little, but that's it. Once it gets moving it accelerates nicely, though. I suspect the weight and 3.15 gears hamper it.
Oh yeah i have 3.55 gear. Im thinking going 4.09

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Many, many people have no understanding of car control. The Mustang is very affordable, therefore lots of unskilled and untrained can buy them.
People buy them, have little to no experience with driving in different situations, and the combination of tires, power, and stupidity put them in bad situations. Besides, if it's filmed by them, it's most likely a staged crash. Filmed by others...not so much.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
'19 A10 here.

In drag mode when shifting into 2nd mine kicks the rear end out pretty hard and then TC intervenes. But it recovers quickly and barks the tires into 3rd and 4th. I also have the skinny 235 PZero's... lol. No mods... well a dry drop-in if you consider that a mod... I don't.

I've yet to drive it with adv trac off. No need to really... pretty fun the way it is.
Sponsored