Sponsored

DFB's Maintenance Washing Guide

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
The following guide is what I do when “maintenance washing” my cars. For me, a maintenance wash is all about preserving a state of cleanliness and reducing the need to “deep clean”. For example, I rarely use a dedicated wheel cleaner because brake dust never has a chance to adhere to the wheel surface. For the purpose of this guide, I have used my favourite go to products, products that have been trialled over several years in the pursuit of my passion.

IMG-0761.jpg

IMG-1166.jpg

I always begin the process with the wheels and tires. Firstly, insert some hose guides under the tyres to prevent snagging during the wash process.

g2.jpg

c1.jpg

I use a dedicated wheel cleaning bucket with a grit guard filled with water and soap. For cleaning, I apply soap to the wheels from my foam cannon or use a wheel cleaner if required. I then use an assortment of brushes and mitts, this will change depending on the wheel design but usually entails a bristled and microfiber brush for cleaning the barrels and wheel arches, a boars hair brush for lugs, a wash mitt for the wheel face and a stiff bristle brush for the tires.

IMG-6017.jpg

IMG_6422.jpg

IMG-0200.jpg

IMG-0199.jpg

IMG-7827.jpg

IMG-2073.jpg

IMG-6417.jpg

IMG-6420.jpg

I will also clean the wheel well and exhaust tips at this step too.

IMG-2817.jpg

A more detailed guide to wheels here –
PP1 Wheel Cleaning Guide | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Wheels done, now onto the body. Fill your buckets with water and add soap directly to the wash pad. Mix up your foam cannon.

IMG-2810.jpg

IMG-2812.jpg

I don’t usually do the two-bucket method, mainly because I’m rarely attending to stuck on road grime or excessively dirty vehicles. My method involves first rinsing the vehicle down. I then foam the car with my chosen soap and use a wash mitt to attend to one panel at a time, rinsing the mitt in a bucket of water with a grit guard. (If the car is extra dirty, apply foam and allow to soak, rinse, re-foam and then wash with a mitt). I then thoroughly rinse the car off.

IMG-1823.jpg

IMG-3081.jpg

IMG-3083.jpg

IMG-1808.jpg

IMG-5461.jpg

IMG-5463.jpg

With the contact wash completed, I apply some rust inhibitor to the brake rotors and then move the car into the garage for the next steps.

IMG-3091.jpg

IMG-2565.jpg

In the garage, I use either my dedicated Big Boi blower or an EGO 765 to remove as much water as possible, including door jams, trunk lid surround, wheels and tyres.

IMG-1824.jpg

IMG-2325.jpg

I then use a medium drying towel and a drying aid to finish drying the car. The drying aid acts as a lubricant for the towel, while adding some extra shine and protection to the paint. Some products need specific treatments, but as general rule of thumb, prime the towel with a couple of sprays of product then a couple onto each panel as you move around the car to finish the drying process.

IMG-5474.jpg

I then do the same thing to the door jambs. (These areas are often neglected as they can be tedious, but when dealt with at each wash, again, you are maintaining the state of cleanliness.)

IMG-2566.jpg

Exterior glass is next. Interior glass is done as needed and not at every wash. I use two waffle weave towels, one to do the initial wipe, one for the final streak free wipe. It’s important for the glass to be cool and out of the sun to avoid streaky results. The waffle weave cloth also helps in that regard too.

IMG_1953.jpg

The interior is then vacuumed.

IMG-6428.jpg

Using a quick detailer, I then wipe the interior surfaces down. I’m using something like Carpro InnerQD or a rinse-less wash like ONR, this is all that is needed for maintenance washing/detailing.

IMG-0800.jpg

Now for the engine bay. I use a quick detailer or drying aid, teamed with a towel to wipe and dry the painted surfaces. I then use the now damp towel to wipe over the various surfaces to remove dust and keep the engine bay clean. A good time to check your oil and fluids too.

IMG_4893.jpg

Hood down and back onto the wheels. I spray some quick detailer or drying aid onto the wheel face and wipe over with a dedicated wheel towel. This completes the wheel drying process and adds some additional gloss/protection.

IMG_5483.jpg

I then dress the tyres. I NEVER miss this step, it’s one of my favorite detailing tasks and really is the finishing touch!

IMG_5485.jpg

Finished result!

IMG-1963.jpg

All of that are the “basics” that I do at every single wash. The key is to add something extra each time, be that applying a leather protector, dressing the exterior plastics or polishing the exhaust tips. The concept here is “a little and often” rather than “a lot, less often”.

It’s important to note that there are many ways to wash and detail a car. I wouldn’t say my method is any better than any other, but this is just where much trial and error has brought me to. I have learnt so much by following what others have tried and I love being able to share this knowledge with others, perhaps helping others to increase their detailing abilities.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Velocityblue5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
I use a dedicated wheel cleaning bucket with a grit guard filled with water and soap. For cleaning, I apply soap to the wheels from my foam cannon or use a wheel cleaner if required. I then use an assortment of brushes and mitts, this will change depending on the wheel design but usually entails a bristled and microfiber brush for cleaning the barrels and wheel arches, a boars hair brush for lugs, a wash mitt for the wheel face and a stiff bristle brush for the tires.
Hey DFB! Great write up as always! I love reading about your detailing processes. I have a question for you. My wheels are ceramic coated and have brushed centers with a polished lip. After an initial wash would I be able to use an iron remover on them safely? (i.e. carpro iron x) or would this damage the ceramic coating??

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Hey DFB! Great write up as always! I love reading about your detailing processes. I have a question for you. My wheels are ceramic coated and have brushed centers with a polished lip. After an initial wash would I be able to use an iron remover on them safely? (i.e. carpro iron x) or would this damage the ceramic coating??
Iron removers are designed for decontaminating ceramic coatings in mind and are therefore safe to use. In most cases, iron removers are pH neutral to slightly acidic, so their cleaning ability is not relying on high alkalinity or acidity.

How often you use an iron remover on wheels will depend on your usage pattern and brake set up. I typically wash my wheels with soap, but will use an iron removing wheel cleaner every few months to give a deeper clean.

IMG-1463.jpg

IMG-1558.jpg

IMG-1474.jpg

Apart from the brake rotors, you will note a lack of color-change reaction on these wheels. This is the result of regular maintenance preventing the buildup of iron contamination.

These wheels however show that without regular washing and iron removal, you will have a much stronger reaction. These wheels here were last washed by me, 12 months earlier.

IMG-2002.jpg

IMG-2005.jpg

IMG-2008.jpg

IMG-2012.jpg

That result was without even touching the wheel itself, a simply spray/dwell/rinse situation that removed the bulk of the buildup. I then followed with a contact wash using an alkaline cleaner to finish the process.

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The following guide is what I do when “maintenance washing” my cars. For me, a maintenance wash is all about preserving a state of cleanliness and reducing the need to “deep clean”. For example, I rarely use a dedicated wheel cleaner because brake dust never has a chance to adhere to the wheel surface. For the purpose of this guide, I have used my favourite go to products, products that have been trialled over several years in the pursuit of my passion.

IMG-0761.jpg

IMG-1166.jpg

I always begin the process with the wheels and tires. Firstly, insert some hose guides under the tyres to prevent snagging during the wash process.

g2.jpg

c1.jpg

IMG-6017.jpg

IMG_6422.jpg

IMG-0200.jpg

IMG-0199.jpg

IMG-7827.jpg

IMG-2073.jpg

IMG-6417.jpg

IMG-6420.jpg

IMG-2817.jpg

PP1 Wheel Cleaning Guide | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

Wheels done, now onto the body. Fill your buckets with water and add soap directly to the wash pad. Mix up your foam cannon.

IMG-2810.jpg

IMG-2812.jpg

I don’t usually do the two-bucket method, mainly because I’m rarely attending to stuck on road grime or excessively dirty vehicles. My method involves first rinsing the vehicle down. I then foam the car with my chosen soap and use a wash mitt to attend to one panel at a time, rinsing the mitt in a bucket of water with a grit guard. (If the car is extra dirty, apply foam and allow to soak, rinse, re-foam and then wash with a mitt). I then thoroughly rinse the car off.

IMG-1823.jpg

IMG-3081.jpg

IMG-3083.jpg

IMG-1808.jpg

IMG-5461.jpg

IMG-5463.jpg

With the contact wash completed, I apply some rust inhibitor to the brake rotors and then move the car into the garage for the next steps.

IMG-3091.jpg

IMG-2565.jpg

In the garage, I use either my dedicated Big Boi blower or an EGO 765 to remove as much water as possible, including door jams, trunk lid surround, wheels and tyres.

IMG-1824.jpg

IMG-2325.jpg

I then use a medium drying towel and a drying aid to finish drying the car. The drying aid acts as a lubricant for the towel, while adding some extra shine and protection to the paint. Some products need specific treatments, but as general rule of thumb, prime the towel with a couple of sprays of product then a couple onto each panel as you move around the car to finish the drying process.

IMG-5474.jpg

I then do the same thing to the door jambs. (These areas are often neglected as they can be tedious, but when dealt with at each wash, again, you are maintaining the state of cleanliness.)

IMG-2566.jpg

Exterior glass is next. Interior glass is done as needed and not at every wash. I use two waffle weave towels, one to do the initial wipe, one for the final streak free wipe. It’s important for the glass to be cool and out of the sun to avoid streaky results. The waffle weave cloth also helps in that regard too.

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG-6428.jpg

Using a quick detailer, I then wipe the interior surfaces down. I’m using something like Carpro InnerQD or a rinse-less wash like ONR, this is all that is needed for maintenance washing/detailing.

IMG-0800.jpg

Now for the engine bay. I use a quick detailer or drying aid, teamed with a towel to wipe and dry the painted surfaces. I then use the now damp towel to wipe over the various surfaces to remove dust and keep the engine bay clean. A good time to check your oil and fluids too.

IMG_4893.jpg

Hood down and back onto the wheels. I spray some quick detailer or drying aid onto the wheel face and wipe over with a dedicated wheel towel. This completes the wheel drying process and adds some additional gloss/protection.

IMG_5483.jpg

I then dress the tyres. I NEVER miss this step, it’s one of my favorite detailing tasks and really is the finishing touch!

IMG_5485.jpg

Finished result!

IMG-1963.jpg

All of that are the “basics” that I do at every single wash. The key is to add something extra each time, be that applying a leather protector, dressing the exterior plastics or polishing the exhaust tips. The concept here is “a little and often” rather than “a lot, less often”.

It’s important to note that there are many ways to wash and detail a car. I wouldn’t say my method is any better than any other, but this is just where much trial and error has brought me to. I have learnt so much by following what others have tried and I love being able to share this knowledge with others, perhaps helping others to increase their detailing abilities.
Great write up as always and a similar technique to mine but as a contrast i foam the car while dry so as not to dilute the foam and follow up with a normal wash with a bucket instead of with a second foaming. Also do the wheels after the body wash to leave the wheels soaking as long as possible and not rinse dirty water from the car wash over clean wheels. Probably none of it really matters but it’s my routine. I didn’t know that iron remover was ok on coated wheels so that is a new trick I just learnt. 😃👍

Velocityblue5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabe
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
Iron removers are designed for decontaminating ceramic coatings in mind and are therefore safe to use. In most cases, iron removers are pH neutral to slightly acidic, so their cleaning ability is not relying on high alkalinity or acidity.

How often you use an iron remover on wheels will depend on your usage pattern and brake set up. I typically wash my wheels with soap, but will use an iron removing wheel cleaner every few months to give a deeper clean.

IMG-1463.jpg

IMG-1558.jpg

IMG-1474.jpg

Apart from the brake rotors, you will note a lack of color-change reaction on these wheels. This is the result of regular maintenance preventing the buildup of iron contamination.

These wheels however show that without regular washing and iron removal, you will have a much stronger reaction. These wheels here were last washed by me, 12 months earlier.

IMG-2002.jpg

IMG-2005.jpg

IMG-2008.jpg

IMG-2012.jpg

That result was without even touching the wheel itself, a simply spray/dwell/rinse situation that removed the bulk of the buildup. I then followed with a contact wash using an alkaline cleaner to finish the process.

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg
I appreciate the high quality post/response to my question DFB! Sounds good, the wheels I had mentioned are new and are being regularly washed/cleaned. I'll use iron removers for more of a deep clean when the time comes!

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Excellent post. I have to admit, I'm overwhelmed by the sheer number of detailing products on the market. It's nice to see the good ones in action.

Does the "ez detail" brush fit between the rim and the Brembo calipers? Is that the large or small? I've been trying to find something to allow me to keep my barrels clean.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Excellent post. I have to admit, I'm overwhelmed by the sheer number of detailing products on the market. It's nice to see the good ones in action.

Does the "ez detail" brush fit between the rim and the Brembo calipers? Is that the large or small? I've been trying to find something to allow me to keep my barrels clean.
You want the small one here. It gets behind most of the calliper, the raised section in the middle of the calliper gets missed though. I haven’t found anything better.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I feel complete as my routine is nearly identical, D! I don't use drying towels or drying spray any longer now that I have the Max Blaster "paint dryer" rig but otherwise, I'm following your lead thanks to all your previous posts.

My one question is, what IS that vacuum you're using in the interior photo? I want one. <grin>

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I feel complete as my routine is nearly identical, D! I don't use drying towels or drying spray any longer now that I have the Max Blaster "paint dryer" rig but otherwise, I'm following your lead thanks to all your previous posts.

My one question is, what IS that vacuum you're using in the interior photo? I want one. <grin>
When I started doing more of other peoples cars, I ended up needing a stout vaccum to take care of other peoples neglect. :facepalm: The Karcher WD 6 Premium with the car cleaning kit (extended hose, carpet attachments, better crevice tool) has been a true workhorse.

IMG-9110.jpg

But.........................it's big and bulky. I wanted something more convenient to just grab and go without having to deal with the bulk and a power cord. I was also adamant that I DID NOT want a Dyson, bloody useless things that sell on name alone, every single one I have used has been a dog and I hate them with a passion.

Having just invested in the Milwaukee battery system, the M18 Compact Vacuum caught my eye.

M18™ Compact Vacuum (milwaukeetool.com)

IMG-6345.jpg

IMG-6347.jpg

IMG-6398.jpg

It's brilliant! Perfect for just giving the mats a quick clean in situations where ultimate suction is not required. It comes with a crevice tool, but I ordered a brush to fit onto the hose for carpet.

Horse Hair Dusting Brush Dust-Tool Replace Attachment For Vacuum Cleaner 32-35mm | eBay

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
You are the MAN, D..thanks a bunch. Just checked and the local Depot has twenty of 'em so I'll be going up there today or tomorrow to pick one up and you're correct, it looks perfect for those quick jobs and I won't have to break out the Shop Vac except for serious interior cleaning.

Sponsored

Clintro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clinton
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Convertable
When I started doing more of other peoples cars, I ended up needing a stout vaccum to take care of other peoples neglect. :facepalm: The Karcher WD 6 Premium with the car cleaning kit (extended hose, carpet attachments, better crevice tool) has been a true workhorse.

IMG-9110.jpg

But.........................it's big and bulky. I wanted something more convenient to just grab and go without having to deal with the bulk and a power cord. I was also adamant that I DID NOT want a Dyson, bloody useless things that sell on name alone, every single one I have used has been a dog and I hate them with a passion.

Having just invested in the Milwaukee battery system, the M18 Compact Vacuum caught my eye.

M18™ Compact Vacuum (milwaukeetool.com)

IMG-6345.jpg

IMG-6347.jpg

IMG-6398.jpg

It's brilliant! Perfect for just giving the mats a quick clean in situations where ultimate suction is not required. It comes with a crevice tool, but I ordered a brush to fit onto the hose for carpet.

Horse Hair Dusting Brush Dust-Tool Replace Attachment For Vacuum Cleaner 32-35mm | eBay
I wonder if Dewalt has something similar...hummm....

DFB's threads get me in trouble with the wife....all I hear is "Another Amazon Package?!?!" jk

tuf50L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order pending
I've been considering biting the bullet and buying a Metrovav Vac n Blo.
Reviews seem good and I do need a vacuum and blower.

Two birds with one stone but worried about it also being a master of none kind of thing.

Canadian Crimson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP1 Royal Crimson

IMG-0761.jpg

IMG-1166.jpg

g2.jpg

c1.jpg

IMG-6017.jpg

IMG_6422.jpg

IMG-0200.jpg

IMG-0199.jpg

IMG-7827.jpg

IMG-2073.jpg

IMG-6417.jpg

IMG-6420.jpg

IMG-2817.jpg

IMG-2810.jpg

IMG-2812.jpg

IMG-1823.jpg

IMG-3081.jpg

IMG-3083.jpg

IMG-1808.jpg

IMG-5461.jpg

IMG-5463.jpg

IMG-3091.jpg

IMG-2565.jpg

IMG-1824.jpg

IMG-2325.jpg

IMG-5474.jpg

IMG-2566.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG-6428.jpg

IMG-0800.jpg

IMG_4893.jpg

IMG_5483.jpg

IMG_5485.jpg

Finished result!

IMG-1963.jpg

Those EZ Detail brushes are amazing, I have been using them on my HD for a number of years.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback