Sponsored

Basic ceramic coating questions

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Apologies if the answers to my pretty basic questions are somewhere buried in this forum, but I'm finally going to have my car paint corrected (17, black, parked outdoors, paint in OK but not great condition) and ceramic coated. I've got a few quotes from professional places and there are some differences...I'm not sure what's important. Quick questions:
  1. Is a single-coating after paint correction a waste? Should I DEFINITELY get it double-coated?
  2. One place will take 2 days, another (a double-coating place) about 5 hours. That sounds too short...am I wrong? They've all seen my car so presumably know what paint correction I need.
  3. Does the car need to stay indoors for some time (24 hrs?) to let the coating cure? Only the 2 day place is going to let it cure indoors. If I go with one of the other places, I'll schedule when no rain is in the forecast since the car will have to be outside afterwards.
Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I haven't heard of a double coating, so I can't answer that question. But the other two I can.
Ceramic coating takes two days. If someone is doing it in 5 hours, they're not dong a proper ceramic coating.
And yes, the car must remain inside overnight, preferably in as dust free an environment as possible. The ceramic coating is almost a thin, syrup like consistancy. So if any dust, dirt, etc, comes in contact with it while curing, it will be embedded in the ceramic coating.

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG M6 Mach 1 ordered. 12/1; Received 2/3
DFB is the forum Guru on the subject. I'm just wrapping up my new Mach 1. I'm not fast, but thorough. I've got at least 25 hours in mine. The process I picked up here and off of a few Youtube videos was the same or very similar. Snow foam wash, iron remover, wash/dry. Mask off the decals and rubber trim. (Edit: forgot the claybar step followed by Eraser) Paint correction for scratches, Carpro Reflect fine polish with a 6" dual action polisher. Eraser (isopropyl alcohol solution to remove any wax/oil and get to bare paint.) Then two coats of ceramic coating. Doesn't sound like any professional could do that in 5 hours. or anywhere close. Look elsewhere.
PS - The UK Quartz ceramic product I used said to ensure it isn't exposed to water for 24 hours to avoid water spotting.

69784127868__6AEAAFA0-D6CE-4646-9BDC-C8820E6B77F1.jpg

Last edited:

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
I haven't had a chance to clean up the glass or do the wheels yet, but it's getting there. Best of luck with yours.

IMG_1854.jpg

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
1-2 days is pretty typical, a lot depends on how much of a paint correction is needed and what type of coating is used. The decontamination and paint correction is the bulk of the time. Most of the coatings have a cure time where it can’t get wet (24 hours is pretty typical, some are 48) which is why most shops quote 2 days. There are several coatings that can be applied in multiple layers. 2 is not atypical, anything more than 3 provides no extra benefit and may actually be detrimental.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I haven't heard of a double coating, so I can't answer that question. But the other two I can.
Ceramic coating takes two days. If someone is doing it in 5 hours, they're not dong a proper ceramic coating.
And yes, the car must remain inside overnight, preferably in as dust free an environment as possible. The ceramic coating is almost a thin, syrup like consistancy. So if any dust, dirt, etc, comes in contact with it while curing, it will be embedded in the ceramic coating.
Thanks very much; it seems that my choice is easy. The indoors place. Their interior workroom had a bunch of high dollar cars which I’m going to take a leap and say they must do a good job. Anyway, appreciate the help.

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
1-2 days is pretty typical, a lot depends on how much of a paint correction is needed and what type of coating is used. The decontamination and paint correction is the bulk of the time. Most of the coatings have a cure time where it can’t get wet (24 hours is pretty typical, some are 48) which is why most shops quote 2 days. There are several coatings that can be applied in multiple layers. 2 is not atypical, anything more than 3 provides no extra benefit and may actually be detrimental.
Thanks. The (two) outdoors places said just not to wash it when they’re done (in 5 hours or 9 hours), but I’m worried about dust and other stuff landing in my car while the coating is gummy based on the other responses. Anyway thanks for the advice.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Apologies if the answers to my pretty basic questions are somewhere buried in this forum, but I'm finally going to have my car paint corrected (17, black, parked outdoors, paint in OK but not great condition) and ceramic coated. I've got a few quotes from professional places and there are some differences...I'm not sure what's important. Quick questions:
  1. Is a single-coating after paint correction a waste? Should I DEFINITELY get it double-coated?
  2. One place will take 2 days, another (a double-coating place) about 5 hours. That sounds too short...am I wrong? They've all seen my car so presumably know what paint correction I need.
  3. Does the car need to stay indoors for some time (24 hrs?) to let the coating cure? Only the 2 day place is going to let it cure indoors. If I go with one of the other places, I'll schedule when no rain is in the forecast since the car will have to be outside afterwards.
Thanks for any advice.
1/ The amount of coatings/layers is dependent on the product or the longevity claim. Some coatings only need on layer, some need two. Most single layer coatings give 2-3 years of longevity, which to my way of thinking is more than enough. Keep in mind longevity claims are dependent on upkeep with appropriate deep cleaning and ceramic toppers at regular intervals, anywhere from 6-12months, ask your detailer for this info as its product dependent.

2/The place that is quoting you 5 hours is not putting much, if any, time into polishing the paint. If they are, then it will be only a quick once over and then the coating applied. The 2 day process will be more involved with polishing and prep and more than likely going to outlive the 5-hour job. It's all about prep with ceramic coatings.

3/ The cure time is product dependent. Some detailers will use an IR lamp to speed the process up. Some will apply a short term sealant to protect the coating in the first couple of weeks. Otherwise, typically a 12-hour cure is needed before seeing water/rain, and then 14 days before washing with a soap. Again, your detailer will tell you want is needed for the specific coating they are applying.

If you can, ask what brand of coating they are using.

Also, a ceramic coating won't make your car invincible or negate the need for regular maintenance. Ceramic coatings are brilliant for the gloss they bring, and while they won't stop your car getting dirty, they make it easier and therefore safer to clean.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
@Meatball: The only other bit of info I would add is...

The shop may have a half dozen guys with polishers and if they're efficient and experienced, I would say it's possible for six people to polish and coat a normal vehicle in one shift. That said, I would want to verify the number of people vs. the time.

Even so, as it has been noted, liquid SiO2 needs to cure and when it does, it becomes hard as a rock which is why it is imperative that the coating is buffed completely before moving to the next panel. This is to remove any "high spots" that you've no doubt read about.

That curing takes at the very least twelve hours so any shop that says they'll be done in one day should be avoided.

As for dust etc., during curing..I honestly don't think it's a big concern. The thickness of SiO2 left on the vehicle after buffing is microscopic and I don't think dust is an issue. Not outdoors however.

Finally, I think two coatings is a waste. The first one, if done properly, will last a year or more if maintained. Wait for the first coating to wear down and then have it recoated. And, as D mentioned, ask each shop which product(s) they use and how many people will be polishing and applying.

You're gonna love the car even more when she's slick as a conman. :-)

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
1/ The amount of coatings/layers is dependent on the product or the longevity claim. Some coatings only need on layer, some need two. Most single layer coatings give 2-3 years of longevity, which to my way of thinking is more than enough. Keep in mind longevity claims are dependent on upkeep with appropriate deep cleaning and ceramic toppers at regular intervals, anywhere from 6-12months, ask your detailer for this info as its product dependent.

2/The place that is quoting you 5 hours is not putting much, if any, time into polishing the paint. If they are, then it will be only a quick once over and then the coating applied. The 2 day process will be more involved with polishing and prep and more than likely going to outlive the 5-hour job. It's all about prep with ceramic coatings.

3/ The cure time is product dependent. Some detailers will use an IR lamp to speed the process up. Some will apply a short term sealant to protect the coating in the first couple of weeks. Otherwise, typically a 12-hour cure is needed before seeing water/rain, and then 14 days before washing with a soap. Again, your detailer will tell you want is needed for the specific coating they are applying.

If you can, ask what brand of coating they are using.

Also, a ceramic coating won't make your car invincible or negate the need for regular maintenance. Ceramic coatings are brilliant for the gloss they bring, and while they won't stop your car getting dirty, they make it easier and therefore safer to clean.
Thanks very much for the excellent info. Appreciated.

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
@Meatball: The only other bit of info I would add is...

The shop may have a half dozen guys with polishers and if they're efficient and experienced, I would say it's possible for six people to polish and coat a normal vehicle in one shift. That said, I would want to verify the number of people vs. the time.

Even so, as it has been noted, liquid SiO2 needs to cure and when it does, it becomes hard as a rock which is why it is imperative that the coating is buffed completely before moving to the next panel. This is to remove any "high spots" that you've no doubt read about.

That curing takes at the very least twelve hours so any shop that says they'll be done in one day should be avoided.

As for dust etc., during curing..I honestly don't think it's a big concern. The thickness of SiO2 left on the vehicle after buffing is microscopic and I don't think dust is an issue. Not outdoors however.

Finally, I think two coatings is a waste. The first one, if done properly, will last a year or more if maintained. Wait for the first coating to wear down and then have it recoated. And, as D mentioned, ask each shop which product(s) they use and how many people will be polishing and applying.

You're gonna love the car even more when she's slick as a conman. :-)
Appreciate the advice. I’m going to ask the shop I’m considering what product they use and get back to you guys. Thanks again.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
I coated mine in 2021 using Gyeon Q2 Mohs EVO. I'll admit I'm slow...followed all Gyeon's instructions and additional input from DFB5.0. It took me the better part of a weekend to complete all the prep...and about an hour to actually apply the coating. I let the stang sit in the garage for 2 days before driving. 5 hours to do a complete and through job seems a bit rushed to me. 2 days for a pro with everything set up seems more reasonable time frame.

IMG_5060.jpg

IMG_5061.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
Bobn, did you do some cutting to flatten the orange peel? I did not. I wasn't game for getting a meter to measure clear coat thickness and cut it down. Yours looks pretty darned flat. I just fixed the scratches and used the Reflect fine polish.
Sponsored