Vehicle Showcase

Phoneman1223

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Some shops use UV lamps to cure certain ceramic coatings. Coatings can last last 7-9 years but it’s all subjective based on environmental elements and how coating is taking care of. Proper washing techniques and a yearly decontamination of coated vehicle will lead to best results. Education is key to making a very costly decision when it comes to a shop correcting paint and applying a coating.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Education is key to making a very costly decision when it comes to a shop correcting paint and applying a coating.
Excellent point. I always say, "you buy the detailer not the product". Find the right person and go by their recommendations.

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Excellent point. I always say, "you buy the detailer not the product". Find the right person and go by their recommendations.
Thanks. Yep I’m hoping this Ceramic Pro place is legit. Seems good and DFB5.0 seems to think they’re fine. I’m hoping that the fact that their shop is filled with much higher end cars than Mustangs is a good sign…

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Thanks. Yep I’m hoping this Ceramic Pro place is legit. Seems good and DFB5.0 seems to think they’re fine. I’m hoping that the fact that their shop is filled with much higher end cars than Mustangs is a good sign…
You should be good. Ceramic Pro requires their installers to go through their certification process before they can buy and use the product (which a lot of the major players in the professional coating world require so they’re not unique in that regard). If they don’t do enough business or get a bunch of negative reviews, these coating companies won’t hesitate to pull their product and certification. As mentioned by others, you’re buying the installer more than you are the product.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The most important part is prep/paint correction and a clean environment.
If you have someone else do it get references and ask lots of questions.
For most coatings they have to be certified.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Bobn, did you do some cutting to flatten the orange peel? I did not. I wasn't game for getting a meter to measure clear coat thickness and cut it down. Yours looks pretty darned flat. I just fixed the scratches and used the Reflect fine polish.
I have a paint thickness meter but was told there is no way to determine the thickness of the clearcoat alone. The meters read the thickness of the paint that's on top of the metal (whether it's the steel part or aluminum part; the meter must be set to the correct base metal). I think if I remember correctly, my paint was around 6 to 7 mils in thickness. Again, I have no idea how thick the clearcoat is.

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG M6 Mach 1 ordered. 12/1; Received 2/3
I have a paint thickness meter but was told there is no way to determine the thickness of the clear coat alone. The meters read the thickness of the paint that's on top of the metal (whether it's the steel part or aluminum part; the meter must be set to the correct base metal). I think if I remember correctly, my paint was around 6 to 7 mils in thickness. Again, I have no idea how thick the clear coat is.
It takes huge balls of steel to legitimately cut paint and clear coat unless you have experience. I'd never forgive myself if I hosed up the factory paint. I've done it on motorcycle tanks, but I sprayed the clear coat so I know exactly how much is on there. Those were wet sanded first. It still freaked me out. Go through it once and it's a total do over with metallics.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I have a paint thickness meter but was told there is no way to determine the thickness of the clearcoat alone. The meters read the thickness of the paint that's on top of the metal (whether it's the steel part or aluminum part; the meter must be set to the correct base metal). I think if I remember correctly, my paint was around 6 to 7 mils in thickness. Again, I have no idea how thick the clearcoat is.
I think it somewhat varies by manufacturer, the higher end cars and exotics probably have a little thicker paint and clearcoat as it’s part of the higher cost. I’m guessing that our cars are probably only a few mils of clear.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I second the emotions mentioned. If you use a polisher and compound of any kind AND don't use a paint thickness meter, you are teasing the animals so to speak and this is especially true for old fashioned orbital polishers. The newer dual action models are considerably safer to use BUT, they can still burn through to the color coat or deeper in the wrong hands.

As for the thickness of the clear, the meters typically use microns vice thousandths and the average clear coat is about 50 microns or at least that is what I have seen (I divide the meter number by 2 assuming color and clear coats are similar in thickness.) Knock off ten or so with a polisher and you still have a fair amount of clear for future polishing.

I map out a vehicle's thickness in multiple locations before I start in case there's an area that is super thin (or thick.) A grease pencil works well for this. With robot painters and dippers, this isn't as important as it once was but I've seen thickness vary by as much as 30 microns from one location to another.
Sponsored