Basic ceramic coating questions

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I did mine a few weeks after i took delivery of my car, so early October last year. Day 1 was the wash and decon, left it in the garage overnight for any remaining dampness to dry. Got up the next morning and did the light cut & polish. Used 50/50 Urofiber pads and Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Pro One and Done polish. Ethos Matrix Graphene V2 coating. Ethos says not to get the car wet for a minimum 24 hours so it just sat in the garage (ended up sitting for about 36 hours before I drove it again). As others mentioned, don’t worry about dust and stuff once the coating has been applied as the residue is wiped off during the application process. It’s dry to the touch right away. No washing for 7 days as the coating was still curing but 75% of curing is done in the first 24 hours. It just takes a while for that last 25% or so.

OP, if you have the tools and the time, it’s not overly difficult just time consuming. A lot of the DIY coatings are easy to apply, if that’s an option for you

E0E1CEDB-6897-442D-92A1-8FD04BBC3040.jpeg

6E133A68-6448-442C-A15D-380765501340.jpeg

7F59E780-D5F2-47DD-B8E0-ABAE7E369D0B.jpeg
Sponsored

ajsfirehawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG M6 Mach 1 ordered. 12/1; Received 2/3
The crisp reflections show the work you did cutting the clear coat. Nicely done.

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I did mine a few weeks after i took delivery of my car, so early October last year. Day 1 was the wash and decon, left it in the garage overnight for any remaining dampness to dry. Got up the next morning and did the light cut & polish. Used 50/50 Urofiber pads and Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Pro One and Done polish. Ethos Matrix Graphene V2 coating. Ethos says not to get the car wet for a minimum 24 hours so it just sat in the garage (ended up sitting for about 36 hours before I drove it again). As others mentioned, don’t worry about dust and stuff once the coating has been applied as the residue is wiped off during the application process. It’s dry to the touch right away. No washing for 7 days as the coating was still curing but 75% of curing is done in the first 24 hours. It just takes a while for that last 25% or so.

OP, if you have the tools and the time, it’s not overly difficult just time consuming. A lot of the DIY coatings are easy to apply, if that’s an option for you

E0E1CEDB-6897-442D-92A1-8FD04BBC3040.jpeg

6E133A68-6448-442C-A15D-380765501340.jpeg

7F59E780-D5F2-47DD-B8E0-ABAE7E369D0B.jpeg
Your car looks fantastic.

I definitely don't trust myself even with easy things that just take time. I'd rather just work a bunch of overtime and pay someone skilled/experienced to do it. But thanks for the input.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Your car looks fantastic.

I definitely don't trust myself even with easy things that just take time. I'd rather just work a bunch of overtime and pay someone skilled/experienced to do it. But thanks for the input.
Thanks. And totally understand about not being comfortable with it. Sounds like you have a couple options as far as shops go which is good.

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
If you can, ask what brand of coating they are using.
Again, thanks for the advice and info.

The place that says it will take 2 days (instead of 5 or 9 hours like the other places, and I don't think that includes more than 1-2 people working on it) is a Ceramic Pro, so they use Ceramic Pro products.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Thanks. And totally understand about not being comfortable with it. Sounds like you have a couple options as far as shops go which is good.
Yeah, I had a couple of options but 2 of the 3 were mobile detailers that want me to be on the road before the coating cures, so I'm re-focusing on places that will keep the car indoors for the time it takes to initially cure. Thanks again for the input.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Bobn, did you do some cutting to flatten the orange peel? I did not. I wasn't game for getting a meter to measure clear coat thickness and cut it down. Yours looks pretty darned flat. I just fixed the scratches and used the Reflect fine polish.
Hey Alan. After washing with dawn i clayed it then washed again and polished using gyeon recommended polish. Followed their recommendations to the T. I had one spot on hood that I fixed before with dr colorchip. I’m sure there’s some orange peel but I didn’t want to mess the clear coat. It came out good enough for my eyes. 😁 I may get a meter at some point.

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
Spent about 7 hrs total doing mine using Adams Advanced Graphene. I could have spent a bit more time polishing, but still happy with the overall results and savings to my pocketbook. :cool:

I made sure it stayed moisture free for 24hrs for the curing process
32241FC7-E670-4C5F-BC7F-53AFC98ED55B.jpeg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Spent about 7 hrs total doing mine using Adams Advanced Graphene. I could have spent a bit more time polishing, but still happy with the overall results and savings to my pocketbook. :cool:

Looks great!

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Again, thanks for the advice and info.

The place that says it will take 2 days (instead of 5 or 9 hours like the other places, and I don't think that includes more than 1-2 people working on it) is a Ceramic Pro, so they use Ceramic Pro products.
A reputable brand, you will be in safe hands.

I also totally understand why you would want to leave it to the pro's. As mentioned earlier, the process is not especially difficult, just very time consuming, as such, you are paying for the installers time.

Sponsored

Bdubbs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brady
Vehicle(s)
A handful
I coated mine in 2021 using Gyeon Q2 Mohs EVO. I'll admit I'm slow...followed all Gyeon's instructions and additional input from DFB5.0. It took me the better part of a weekend to complete all the prep...and about an hour to actually apply the coating. I let the stang sit in the garage for 2 days before driving. 5 hours to do a complete and through job seems a bit rushed to me. 2 days for a pro with everything set up seems more reasonable time frame.

IMG_5060.jpg

IMG_5061.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg
That looks amazing! I've done a little paint correction using my Porter Cable DA polisher. I'm now considering adding a ceramic coating to the mix, which I've never done. Is the procedure pretty straightforward? My 19 350 is in a big need of a paint correction.

Thanks 👍

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That looks amazing! I've done a little paint correction using my Porter Cable DA polisher. I'm now considering adding a ceramic coating to the mix, which I've never done. Is the procedure pretty straightforward? My 19 350 is in a big need of a paint correction.

Thanks 👍
Thanks. Very straightforward. I used all recommended Gyeon products so there was no chance I mixed and matched wrong. If you want to use different products ask DFB5.0. He’s the resident expert and has tried so many different products and is a great resource.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Love that velocity blue!

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase