Sponsored

Back from getting OptiCoat ceramic yesterday.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
It's the hours and hours of prep most folks are not either equipped, trained or feel comfortable with. Easy is a relative term depending on the coating and how it's applied, in addition to one knowing their environment, i.e. Time of day / temperature / equipment such as proper lighting, all relating to how the coatings flash and how many towels (what towel system do you employ)?

Having the proper equipment and supplies at your disposal is another thing to consider financially. I have an endless cabinet of supplies for each step of the process. So if you have to amass all this up front, plus gain the knowledge, sometimes it's easier to pay someone else, until otherwise.

I will stipulate that some coatings are easier to apply than others, each have their own pro's and con's. McKee's 37, Pinnacle Blacklabel, Blackfire are all entry level coatings... Easy on / easy off... Little to no high spot risk. I love GTechniq EXO.. It's easy and has good longevity. I shy away from GTechniq CS or CSL, as those require 1500 grit sand paper to remove the high spots. It clearly states that in their instructions.

I've always been a fan of CarPro, but you have two choices (TiO2) in CQuartz classic, or (SiO2) with CQUK 3.0. I prefer the SiO2, due to longevity over TiO2, but UK can be a BEAR to work with... Especially if your temps are over 100 like me.

Even as a seasoned pro, unless you have someone going behind you, there is always the dreaded "high-spot". Such coatings as CQuartz or CQUK 3.0 will require re-polishing any high spots.

One also has to understand all the prep work as mentioned above. You need the paint to be absolutely free and clear of contamination, otherwise the coating will not properly bond. In my travels, there aren't many (aside from detailers, weekend detailers, who study the likes of the detailing forums) that even know all the prep that goes in..

Our prep usually starts with cleaning an decontamination:

- Wheels / Wheel wells --> cleaned (including barrels)
- Iron-X Decontamination
- Foam Bath / wash with mitts.
- Inspect the paint with baggie test
- Clay
- Inspect the paint, if there are no swirls or scratches to get rid of, Usually a light polishing via DA and multiple polishing pads and your favorite polish (I like Megs 205 or Griot's BOSS Perfecting Cream) with multiple (x6) orange BOSS cutting pads
- If paint has scratches and defects, then a more moderate compounding session (Megs 105 / or BOSS fast correcting cream). Test spots will decide on dialing in proper pad and cream.
- Taping off trim
- Paint correction (based upon above)
*** ---> After correction, one must use an IPA mix or I use CarPro Erasure. This must be done before the coating to remove any of the polishing oils. Otherwise the coating will not bond.

I suggest taping off trim and glass. If you smear coating on glass usually one doesn't notice it right away until its cured... Then again, only polishing the glass will remove it.

Depending on time/temp/humidity will depend on how the coating is applied. If it's fairly hot (like here in AZ) coatings will have very fast flash times. It's better to work in small sections with the applicator. Ensure that you use the manufacturers recommended applicator and wipe-towels. I.E. CarPro suggests using their orange MF/Sued towels. I usually use a three towel method. Have LOTS of towels on hand and use the 8 sided fold method.

Once I work the coating, I have adequate lighting to see the flash, then I go to towel number one, flip it.. Ensure you overlap sections that where you didn't apply coating. Then flip the towel and wipe, then go to towel #2, and do the same, likewise towel number #3... usually on towel #3 I use a Scangrip Colour Match Hand Light to inspect as I wipe. I have LED's overhead and LED's to the sides.

Then I move on... Switch out towels and applicators as needed. You'll know when your primary towel gets loaded down or saturated and smears coating instead of removing it.

It helps to have a 2nd or even 3rd person follow behind with the MF/Sued towels and overlap your wiping. It's one thing if your personal car has a high-spot, it's a different situation in my case when it's a customers care.

When all is said and done, pull the car into the sunlight and have towel in hand. Use the sun to inspect any high-spots. Having curing lights help, sunlight can cure too rapidly.

If you don't have curing lamps, just let the vehicle sit for about 24-48 hours. DO NOT get the vehicle wet or wash the vehicle until the manufacturers recommended cure time has been reached.

Some do 2nd coats, I don't see it's necessary.

Maintenance is a different article that I can write at another time.

Still sound easy? :)
You do all that for $1400?
Sponsored

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
A coating isn't going to do a damn thing to prevent scratches
That's true. I had a ceramic coating on my previous car and while the hydrophobic properties and shine were awesome, it scratches just as easily as regular paint.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
It looks great but I can't get over the cost for it. I HATE the fact that my garaged kept car gets so dusty sitting there and it is a chore to clean it for car events. But I still can't bite the bullet on getting it coated.
Why don't you buy a bottle of Hydro Silex,$68.00 for a bottle and does a great job,very easy to do,my Kona Blue look's great, and nothing sticks to the car.I live in S/W Florida,love bugs and pollen also.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Sponsored

rob_s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Ceramic coatings are really easy to apply. Have you guys not tried doing it yourselves? I can't fathom paying over 1k to have someone do that. A wrap maybe but ceramic coatings are as easy as waxing a car. Maybe easier.
And that's why a detailer near me just had to work on this car after a guy "tried doing it themselves"

nc_oc=AQlNz_H94wW3wDBW0VfvaALRJuxrmc0JK2nzQ6HwcBB4Yxlg6vkuKtvKCyxXoqavm5U&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Ok I think the person that did not knew nothing about CC or car paint care short of maybe washiing. With the amount of information on the web on showing you every detail of the process, you really can't f up that bad. Sure maybe a couple high spots or a small smear from not wiping properly all the time, but not like what the picture shows. That is just a complete fail. I agree with others that the hardest part is the prep, putting the coating on just tales some patience and attention to detail. Heck my 13 yr old did a couple panels on my R32 and it looked great. Sure I was there and but I am pretty sure he would have done ok without me. He prepped himself by watching multiple videos. He also did the prep work on most of the car. I guess there are just some truly inept car owners out there, so who knows.

OP
OP
Zooks527

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
A coating isn't going to do a damn thing to prevent scratches
Did you look at the context (cleaning) or just start typing?

OP
OP
Zooks527

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You do all that for $1400?
My guy did just about all of that, or at least that was pretty much the list I received before the process.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yeah, I would expect a coating that requires sandpaper to remove high spots is going to prevent some scratches.

Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Yeah, I would expect a coating that requires sandpaper to remove high spots is going to prevent some
Yes I looked at the context. Improper washing will still scratch a coating. Did you just spend $1400 without knowing what you were buying?

OP
OP
Zooks527

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I looked at the context. Improper washing will still scratch a coating.
Sure will, but where did I mention improper washing as an issue? Frequency of washing has an effect, though.

Did you just spend $1400 without knowing what you were buying?
Sigh. Some people, even given the opportunity to reconsider how they're presenting themselves, just insist on doubling down.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Any recommended detailers/applicators in the Houston to Austin area?

Ray Knight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
What happens if you get swirls in your paint when its ceramic coated? Can't polish it or wax it. Do you have to chemically remove the coating and do it all over again?

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
What happens if you get swirls in your paint when its ceramic coated? Can't polish it or wax it. Do you have to chemically remove the coating and do it all over again?
You have to compound/polish the entire panel to remove the coating and re-apply. There’s no spot reapplication with coatings.
Sponsored