Sponsored

Automatic Software update?

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I just go this on my Ford pass app. I haven't had a new FORD in a long time....well forever. Is this normal protocol and how would one go about determining what was updated? Apologize if this has already been covered.

FordPass.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am aware of those trying to cut the cord. Which i may do at some point, not a high priority at this point. Just curious how often they do over the air updates and what they would affect. Mainly thinking what if i had a tune on the car and they overwrote it? I am guessing they dont do ECM updates over the air but IDK... Not against them updating the car but generally like to know what they are trying to fix.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
These are likely updates to Maps and Sync, so.. who cares?

Gonna have to get used to auto updates they are gonna be the futures if all cars go electric and self driving.

I can easily see a point in time where "Oh you are 5 software revisions behind, and your car hit another while in self-driving mode? Why were you not up to date?" becomes a normal question in accident and insurance reports.

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These are likely updates to Maps and Sync, so.. who cares?

Gonna have to get used to auto updates they are gonna be the futures if all cars go electric and self driving.

I can easily see a point in time where "Oh you are 5 software revisions behind, and your car hit another while in self-driving mode? Why were you not up to date?" becomes a normal question in accident and insurance reports.
Totally agree, and i really don't care to a point for Maps, Sync, BCM, etc. But if they do this to ECM or TCM that concerns me.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Totally agree, and i really don't care to a point for Maps, Sync, BCM, etc. But if they do this to ECM or TCM that concerns me.
Those part are not connected to the modem at all. Even if they were there is likely someplace you would have had to agree to for them to push.

Also, guess youre not a Tesla fan.

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool if its not powertrain related then I am OK with them updating whatever. May not like it but doesn't bother me that much. And I think Tesla's are cool and if they weren't so expensive i would own a p100d or even upcoming roadster. But for the money i would prob buy something cooler.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I am aware of those trying to cut the cord. Which i may do at some point, not a high priority at this point. Just curious how often they do over the air updates and what they would affect. Mainly thinking what if i had a tune on the car and they overwrote it? I am guessing they dont do ECM updates over the air but IDK... Not against them updating the car but generally like to know what they are trying to fix.
Makes sense. That being the case, wifi updates only update Sync3--same as you would do manually using a thumb drive. Via wifi Ford receives more than it gives.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Those part are not connected to the modem at all. Even if they were there is likely someplace you would have had to agree to for them to push.
I would not assume that anything is out of bounds as far as what could be modified via over-the-air updates. All the various modules talk to each other over the CAN-bus . . .

Also, guess youre not a Tesla fan.
Since you also mention Tesla . . . there used to be an undocumented sequence of driver inputs that would turn the stability control system off in at least one of the Tesla models. Tesla closed that loophole via an OTA update.

Norm
Sponsored