Sponsored

Base/CFHP/CFTP - software/hardware differences

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
There has been little breakdown from Ford as to all the details with respect to each iteration. So I asked my favorite Ford Parts expert if he could share with me a "Bill of Materials" (or HVBOM) for a '21 Base, CFHP, and a CFTP car. I don't have a complete list for each but I have enough to look at the suspension part numbers for some of the typical major components. I have also downloaded the As-Built data for the same three vehicles and run each through a comparator to look at programming differences. I planned on using Ford's ETIS site for even more data but Ford has taken it upon themselves to make that rather difficult (thanks Ford!). It would help if the GT500 Manual Supplement for 2021 got into details for the CFHP car as well as the Base and CFTP but they don't. So you have to know which parts are on which car in order to determine spring rates, for example, on the CFHP car. You can see the supplement here. I'm not getting into the As-Built data for now but will when I no longer feel the need to lounge by the pool and worship the sun for days on end.

So, the HVBOM is a few pages for a given car (via the VIN) that breaks down the bulk of the components that make up the car and shows both an engineering part number and service part number for a specific part. It isn't always clear cut and you find yourself either interpolating or using the process of elimination simply because the part descriptions can sometimes have quite a bit of ambiguity. Here's a quick sreenshot of the top of the first page of the CFHP car I looked at...

Capturegygy.JPG

Anyway, I looked at the data for these three GT500's:

Base Car - 1FA6P8SJ3M5500663
CFTP Car - 1FA6P8SJ6M5502519
CFHP Car - 1FA6P8SJ3M5499918

I've been interested in seeing the mix of parts used on the CFHP car, kind of an oddball in the mix. I wondered if Ford actually took advantage of the lighter wheel weight in terms of suspension hardware and module calibration. Especially since the CFHP car is not using the CFTP's Cup2's - that's what throws a wrench into what would seem logical. So I scoured through each HVBOM and pulled numbers for sway bars, front hubs (which should and do match the wheels used), springs, struts, and shocks.

20210823_142644.jpg

What have I found so far?

Front hubs - Base unique, CFHP/CFTP the same
Front sway bars - look to be the same for all three
Rear sway bars - Base/CFHP the same, CFTP unique
Front springs - Base/CFHP the same, CFTP unique
Rear springs - Base/CFHP the same, CFTP unique

Front struts - Base/CFHP the same, CFTP unique
Rear shocks - Base/CFHP the same, CFTP unique

My initial thoughts? As cool and rare as the CFHP cars may be, why spend the extra coin for the lighter wheel$ when it looks as if Ford didn't maximize the potential performance benefit via matching suspension hardware? Did the tire choice for the CFHP option limit the performance potential to such a degree that Ford saw little benefit in terms of additional parts development? From a hardware perspective, the choice appears to have been to simply offer a cosmetic change without respect to a benefit beyond looks (yes Dorothy, the lighter CF wheel has its own inherent benefits but I'm talking about the entire spectrum here). This may lend creedence to the argument that the idea behind the CFHP car was to move some wheel blems by just painting them black, changing a given car to use the CFTP's hubs, and out the door it goes.
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Could the difference in CFTP -vs- Base/CFHP simply be specific to the tire itself, and nothing more. In other words, perhaps the difference in tune or what have you is related to the grip of the tire itself, and have nothing to do with the weight or ride height?

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hinted as much but there is some disappointment in the fact that it would appear as though Ford ignored ANY benefit the lightweight wheels offered. There was certainly room for improvement either spring or damper wise but Ford looks to have ignored the opportunity to take advantage of it. There are specific frequencies relative to wheel weight that are dealt with via the springs and dampers. I'd hope Ford tweaked the Magneride calibrations in the vehicle dynamics module...

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Isn't the only difference between base and CFHP/CFTP front and probably rear hubs, just the different lengths of the studs?

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With respect to just the front and rear hubs, yes, Ford adds longer studs when CF wheels are used. That's it. The physical dimensions of the front are rear hubs do not change and note that I am not saying the front and rear hubs are the same. They are not.

Sponsored

4petesnake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFHP, 2005 E46 M3
Great comparison and findings consistent with Widmann’s comments I shared in the Where’s all the CFHPs thread. He said the 4S tires was main reason suspension calibration programming is also same between Base and CFHP. I went with CFHP for its all around performance on track, drag and street driving in stock form. Subtracting the handling pkg cost it’s about $2k per wheel which was worth it to me for CF wheels and love the styling. Considering individual differences in CFTP vs Base HP, choosing one of them to get most all around benefit it would be rotational mass savings of about 13lbs for each wheel. Could’ve spent less getting CFTP with vinyl or no stripes but having any one of the variants is awesome.

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
Thanks for looking at the part differences! Nice to see what never makes it’s way into the sales literature.
Is the front sway really the same across all models?

BrakeFade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E39 M5, '21 CFTP GT500
Isn’t there another rumor that the process of laying the CF has changed to the point where it’s perfect almost every time? So no more blemished wheels to paint black. It would make sense why the CFHP option was nixed for ‘22.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19-kilo said:
Is the front sway really the same across all models?
All GT500's use the same front sway bar.

2020%20GT500%20bar%20and%20spring%20rates-L.jpg

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
@Epiphany,

Your hand-written comparison sheet has some information that I need. What are the part numbers and service part numbers for the front hubs of a CFTP GT500?

Thank you in advance,

Scott

Sponsored
OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scott, apparently some that work in the Ford Parts network want you to have the right answers. This should help.

tob vin-page-005 copy 2.jpg

CFTP-page-001 copy.jpg

20220109_154125.jpg

20220109_155722.jpg

20220109_160657.jpg

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2011 SVT Raptor, 6.2L
I’ve read about the shock differences on the CFTP. Does this group know if you can take base GT500 magneride and retune it to CFTP calibration?
I’m debating swapping CFTP springs and sway but wondered about the dampers.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

19-kilo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name