Autocross Setups

Mach4.6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R, 11' GT500, 07' GT500, 04' Mach 1
When I get my motor situation done, I really would like to start autocrossing her. I feel like this car deserves a good run once in its life.
Hey Paul,
I'm running the NMCA Hotchkis Auto X this Friday-Sunday in Fontana, you should come and check it out, they have drag races going on to
Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I used a uni-bit or step drill to open up the top hole on my strut
Worked great, better than trying to use a reg drill bit
I bought some bits for my die grinder. I'll see how it goes.

Per the FSM you can only open it up in the horizontal direction, so if you care about Nationals legal prep I'd make sure not to open it up the whole way around. Disregard if you're CAM class, do whatever you want there :)

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Also, definitely get out to autocross. Even if you're only a passenger or spectator it's neat. As a spectator the fun only lasts for so long, but if you can get rides all day... it's a blast :)

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I finished grinding the struts the other day, I decided to buy the camber gauge adapter and see where I'm at... I'll be running an event this weekend if the weather holds out so I can see what improvements it made.

In the meantime, I'm looking at front bar stuff. I bought some endlinks and drill bits to modify the stock bar.

Anybody have feedback on how the BMR bar improved the car? I've been chatting with Simmons about it and he said that the bar helped him put power down. My only real complaints with the car right now are a bit of softness in transition and putting power down, and the FSB should help with both. Does the bigger FSB ruin the track manners and cause understeer in sweepers?

OP
OP
nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Anybody have feedback on how the BMR bar improved the car? I've been chatting with Simmons about it and he said that the bar helped him put power down. My only real complaints with the car right now are a bit of softness in transition and putting power down, and the FSB should help with both. Does the bigger FSB ruin the track manners and cause understeer in sweepers?
That's what I felt too. The front would bite, then understeer, then bite and then transition out nicely. My SB044 is great. I love it. Full stiff for autocross, medium and soft for track depending on the track. Fixed all the issues you're referring to. One note on the BMR install...get a 10mm ball hex socket. Do NOT get a flat hex. You can get the stock one off with conventional tools just fine but The driver's side mounting bracket is really close to the alternator and you can't go straight down to tighten the fasteners.

Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thanks for the tips on the ball end hex. Any other install tips? I assume it's pretty much take the end links off, take brackets off, wiggle it out... That's what I've seen in the videos I've looked at or the posts I've seen. Some people suggested unbolting the forward LCA too...

Sounds like a bar is in my future. Like I said above, I bought parts to drill holes in the bar, so I'll try that first. The furthest forward I can drill should be somewhere between soft and medium on the BMR bar.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
For reference, my tire wear is good even before finalizing the camber mods. Some shoulder wear, but not awful. I have 1000+ street miles and a minimum of 50 runs, maybe more if I had re-runs.

OP
OP
nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
They look good. I think the 71R's hold up better the bigger you go. I know for a fact that guys around me who run 255's and such on their S2000's just COOK those things super fast.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I had 255s 71R's and 245 Rival S v1.5s on my RS... They got beat to death, lol. I'm fairly gentle on tires, but being so wide and pinched on 8" wide wheels killed the shoulders quickly.

My STX BRZ with 245 71R's on 9" wheels lasted forever. 7 hours of track time, 7500 street miles, and 90+ autocross runs. They were still fast but way too sketchy for street use if it rained.

Sponsored

AutoX R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R
I like BMR front bar, and I'm also at full stiff. I feel like I'm more planted in the slaloms. I didn't do the install though. I also haven't done any track time with it yet.

Your tires still look pretty good. I'm looking to replace mine before much longer.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I like BMR front bar, and I'm also at full stiff. I feel like I'm more planted in the slaloms. I didn't do the install though. I also haven't done any track time with it yet.

Your tires still look pretty good. I'm looking to replace mine before much longer.
I assume you're the R owner that came up to chat at the last WDCR event? If so, I apologize for being in a bit of a rush to hit the road and keeping our conversation brief. Will you be at the 10/1 event?

I should flip the tires on the wheels next week and rotate front/rear at the same time.

AutoX R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R
I assume you're the R owner that came up to chat at the last WDCR event? If so, I apologize for being in a bit of a rush to hit the road and keeping our conversation brief. Will you be at the 10/1 event?

I should flip the tires on the wheels next week and rotate front/rear at the same time.
Yep, that was me. I understand the rush. One of the benefits of a morning event is that you have time to do other things afterwards, plus I know you aren't exactly local to the DC area.

Yes, I will definitely be at the 10/1 event, but I do have a company thing I'm doing right after. Hope to see you there though.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
FYI I measured my camber today... -1.8 & -1.7 up front, rear is -0.7 & -1.0 (I haven't touched the rear, so that's OEM)

Yep, that was me. I understand the rush. One of the benefits of a morning event is that you have time to do other things afterwards, plus I know you aren't exactly local to the DC area.

Yes, I will definitely be at the 10/1 event, but I do have a company thing I'm doing right after. Hope to see you there though.
Sweet, see you there. I'll be running AM & PM, noncomp then AS. :headbang: No plans in the afternoon this time so I can stick around

Last edited:

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Before the last two autocross events I've done, I modded the front swaybar and swapped endlinks (as an FYI they use the same end link as an FR-S/BRZ :) ). The stiffness increase should be somewhere between the soft setting & medium setting on the BMR bar, my back of the napkin math puts it close to the medium setting.

Some feedback on the mod... I like a looser car and the balance feels fine as it is. If anything there's a little bit of steady state understeer that could easily be fixed with more throttle.
Sponsored