Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Mustang · V6 Coupe 2D
  • Banned
I purchased a 2019 GT Mustang with a 10 speed auto transmission new from the deale in early 2019. On two occasions since new, when the vehicle is parked on level ground and idling with a warm engine, when selecting Reverse from either Park or Neutral, there is a very severe engagement occurring in the gear box. It is so severe the vehicle jerks badly and a loud mechanical noise is very audible the instant it engages in reverse gear. On both occasions, I've had the brake foot pedal pressed down firmly.
I've taken the car back to my Ford dealership both times this has happened and they have no idea what this could be. To be fair, this violent shift didn't happen at the dealership when they looked at it.
The mechanics advised they tested the transmission for any fault codes and nothing came up.
The vehicle has only travelled just over 18,000klms since new and is serviced regularly by the Ford dealership.

I was concerned that this severe engagement when placing in to reverse may cause some damage to the transmission or other parts of the engine, however as it has only happened twice in about 4 years and the transmission appears to operate normally at all other times, I'm at a quandary as to what could be causing this?
Has anyone else experienced a similar occurrence, and if so, was their a solution??

Thank you.
Sponsored

23GreenGremlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1
I would first check the fluid level. It isn't easy to do but there are a number of YouTube videos on how to access the level indicator. Next, I would ask the dealer to confirm that the transmission controller software is up to date and if so, to clear the adaptive learning tables and allow the transmission to reset its shifting behavior. If none of that fixes your problem, then you may have an internal issue that will require further diagnosis. Good luck with finding a solution to your problem.

OP
OP

Carll

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Mustang · V6 Coupe 2D
  • Banned
I would first check the fluid level. It isn't easy to do but there are a number of YouTube videos on how to access the level indicator. Next, I would ask the dealer to confirm that the transmission controller software is up to date and if so, to clear the adaptive learning tables and allow the transmission to reset its shifting behavior. If none of that fixes your problem, then you may have an internal issue that will require further diagnosis. Good luck with finding a solution to your problem.
Thanks for the heads up

Park

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 20 Mustang EB and 21 Bronco Sport
I had that problem with a 2020 EB, the ford dealership had the transmission retuned. They had it for two days, problem solved.
good luck, cheers

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I purchased a 2019 GT Mustang with a 10 speed auto transmission new from the deale in early 2019. On two occasions since new, when the vehicle is parked on level ground and idling with a warm engine, when selecting Reverse from either Park or Neutral, there is a very severe engagement occurring in the gear box. It is so severe the vehicle jerks badly and a loud mechanical noise is very audible the instant it engages in reverse gear. On both occasions, I've had the brake foot pedal pressed down firmly.
I've taken the car back to my Ford dealership both times this has happened and they have no idea what this could be. To be fair, this violent shift didn't happen at the dealership when they looked at it.
The mechanics advised they tested the transmission for any fault codes and nothing came up.
The vehicle has only travelled just over 18,000klms since new and is serviced regularly by the Ford dealership.

I was concerned that this severe engagement when placing in to reverse may cause some damage to the transmission or other parts of the engine, however as it has only happened twice in about 4 years and the transmission appears to operate normally at all other times, I'm at a quandary as to what could be causing this?
Has anyone else experienced a similar occurrence, and if so, was their a solution??

Thank you.
The symptoms you describe is typical of a valve body issue; the line pressure is too high. Go to the linked thread on Post 1, Page 1. Scroll down it in - there is a lot of info that can help you out.

Most common issue with a 10R80, is low fluid.

Second most common was valve bodies failing prematurely.

Third is software updates needed. This will NOT fix a valve body or other hardware issue.

Last edited:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Something that occurred twice in 4 years, with an average of 3000 miles driven per year is going to be nearly impossible to find.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
And the level is always lacking when first checked. That tiny dipstick on the trans is a slap in the customers face. You need to check it hot and it's very close to the exhaust. Gloves will be needed. It should go all the way up to top of the engine like the engine oil dipstick, also difficult for no reason. The OPs issue sounds like something worse. Find another dealer. They have really been sucking these last few yrs. Better yet find a proven independent in your area. Hard to do worse than dealer service dept.

Read the following sticky. It will tell you just about all there is. All 10r80 owners should read it.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/

Last edited:

Tycoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I had this exact issue. But I also had some sloppy shifting in the lower gears sometimes AND I had noticed a "slamming" when the car was started. Both the sloppy shifting and slamming on start were intermittent. They became more frequent over time. When the harsh engagement from park began happening, I took it in. Ford replaced the transmission. I never knew exactly what the problem was. Maybe multiple wear points and failures. I almost replaced the valve body myself. Glad I did not. I suspect the cdf drum failed. This is a known issue. The cdf drum has been redesigned starting in, I believe, 2022 forward.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Had that with mine and it was the valve body. There is a TSB on it so take it back and tell them to check the TSB sheets for resolution.
Sponsored