Auto Cross

Ando88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350, 2020 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Is anyone doing Auto Cross with their GT350? I was talking to someone from a local Shelby club last week at the final cruise night of the season and was told Auto Cross is something I should try. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Is anyone doing Auto Cross with their GT350? I was talking to someone from a local Shelby club last week at the final cruise night of the season and was told Auto Cross is something I should try. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Quite a few people. Definitely worth a try to at least see if that's something you want to do. Depending on where in MA you are, I believe you should have so good club options to choose from - @Dana Pants should be able to help (probably not until spring though).

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
If you are doing it for fun and to learn your car by all means. Autocross is a reasonably safe way to learn the limits of your car. You will probably be handicapped with other cars in your class that are more suited to autocross vs track.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Greetings. Autocross happens every weekend April through October at Moore Army Airfield in Ayer MA. Most clubs can be found on Motorsportsreg.com.

This is the last weekend and the weather looks miserable. I will be racing on Halloween. You’re welcome to register or stop by and take a peek.

Here is a recent video of my buddy driving damn well:

OP
OP
Ando88

Ando88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Greetings. Autocross happens every weekend April through October at Moore Army Airfield in Ayer MA. Most clubs can be found on Motorsportsreg.com.

This is the last weekend and the weather looks miserable. I will be racing on Halloween. You’re welcome to register or stop by and take a peek.

Here is a recent video of my buddy driving damn well:

Cool! I will definitely be up for this next season. I'm in Quincy, MA, so Devens isn't too far away. I just drove "exotics" (Ferrari 488GTB and a Porsche 991 GT3) on a track out in Vegas and now I want to do more with my Shelby other than just "spirited" road driving! I will get a helmet over the winter.Thanks for the info!!

Sponsored

gmuffley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350 Wimbledon White Heritage Edition
Autocrossing will be a humbling experience at first. Your skill will increase with repetitions. Harder than it looks.

OP
OP
Ando88

Ando88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Autocrossing will be a humbling experience at first. Your skill will increase with repetitions. Harder than it looks.
Humbling is good. Learning is better!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
When I autocrossed a great deal back in the 80's I learned a lot about tire pressures front and rear, tire compounds, camber/caster, anti sway bars, shock settings, fuel load, spring rates, steering ratios, etc.

In addition, I found out my initial driving capabilities and my vehicles handling/performance capabilities and of course this all changed from a short and tight course to a long and more open course.

Just a terrific way to explore many aspects under safe and controlled driving conditions.

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
This is my first year doing autocross in my GT350. I currently run a short course. I was addicted instantly and became a member. I have learned a lot about limits that I have versus what the car is capable of.

JiminVirginia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Shelby GT350. No stripes.
By al means try it. The people are great, the competition is fun even when you're mid pack.

If you runs a street class, there isn't a great deal you can do to the car, and there isn't much camber available without camber plates. So you'll get a bunch of understeer.

If you get at all serious, you'll need a set of 200 class tires, like these: https://www.falkentire.com/tires/passenger-car-tires/azenis-rt660-tire

Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
If you runs a street class, there isn't a great deal you can do to the car, and there isn't much camber available without camber plates. So you'll get a bunch of understeer.
Ahh yes, the street class understeer.

“Drive the rear of the car in such a way that you minimize steering input” -Ryan

JiminVirginia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Shelby GT350. No stripes.
I've done that.

What really kills me competitively (PAX) is slaloms.

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Autocross isn't for everyone but I really enjoy the challenge of it. To do it really well you have to be able to visualize the course (line) from walking it and then execute that vision with as few mistakes as possible. Some people are able to look ahead far enough to read the course and react to it but that's another level of skill to develop. However, even at the bottom of the learning curve it's a lot of fun. You simply can not drive your car at that level of grip as safely in any other environment.

-Brian Meyer (perennial mid-pak guy)

StangRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350, 2016 Focus RS
I took part in my first autoX just a few weeks ago and had a great time. It was the first time I got to drive the car on roads that actually require me to move the steering wheel. I highly recommend it, although more seat time would always be a nice thing.

I plan on taking it to the track next year once I finally exceed 1k miles on the odometer...

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Love autoX. Did it a lot in my 350Z, but haven't yet in the GT350. It's a great way to learn car control, as you can get a feel for rotation in a safe environment. It'll beat up the tires, but nowhere near what a trackday will. It's pretty easy on the brakes. You also get to practice learning the line quickly as you walk the course and keeping your eyes up while driving. All very valuable skills. Definitely a great way to start with the high performance driving.

-T
Sponsored