August 2017 Mustang Sales

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Thankfully, the 2018 5.0 will be both port and DI, meaning the intake valves will still get enough of a cleaning to prevent carbon build up :D
Thankfully? Lmao

Everything is going from port to direct. They won't have port forever. The next engine will most likely be direct only. The whole carbon build up thing is really blown out of proportion. But hey, information from one person to another spreads like wildfire, whether it's true or not.

The Lt1 gen 5 uses DI. No issues.
Sponsored

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Thankfully? Lmao

Everything is going from port to direct. They won't have port forever. The next engine will most likely be direct only. The whole carbon build up thing is really blown out of proportion. But hey, information from one person to another spreads like wildfire, whether it's true or not.

How is it blown out of proportion?
There are many direct engines that require walnut blasting. N54 335/535 BMW's, Mazdaspeed 3/6, cx-7s. Ecoboost mustangs getting up over 100k will probably need it.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Thankfully? Lmao

Everything is going from port to direct. They won't have port forever. The next engine will most likely be direct only.
Ford is keeping port injection to provide better idle, part throttle, and fuel economy, not to mention washing the backs of the valve to prevent carbon buildup. Direct injection benefits power production. I seriously doubt Ford will go DI only based on the benefits of having both.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Ford is keeping port injection to provide better idle, part throttle, and fuel economy, not to mention washing the backs of the valve to prevent carbon buildup. Direct injection benefits power production. I seriously doubt Ford will go DI only based on the benefits of having both.
Ford's already gone pure DI on other engines. The question is if they're going to transition to a PI/DI system for those engines.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

You basically just described why they are getting rid of port injection and replacing it with direct injection in most of their models. Direct injection provides more power, fuel economy(efficiency), and lower emissions than port. No need to keep port around other than it is cheaper to produce since direct injection vehicles require a more expensive hpfp(injectors as well) to keep up with the high psi that the fuel is injected at.

Also, not really sure how you think port provides a "better idle." Not true.

Sponsored

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Thankfully? Lmao

I don't know of many manufacturers that went from Port to Port/DI to DI. Ford already makes a variety of DI only engines, so to make this 5.0 as a hybrid injection only to have it go pure DI down the road would not very efficient from an engineering aspect.

Combining DI with a bit of port injecting offers a number of benefits, with the only real downside being added complexity. My gut says that, barring any issues, this version of the 5.0 will be here to stay through the debut of the S650.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ford's already gone pure DI on other engines. The question is if they're going to transition to a PI/DI system for those engines.
They have transitioned the 2.7L EB and 3.5L EB to PFI+DI already.

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
Thankfully? Lmao

It's only not an issue if you lease cars, but for the rest of us that keep their vehicles for a decade or more and well over 100k miles it is definitely a concern.

Hopefully you're wrong and Ford keeps PI/DI for the long term as it truly is the best of both worlds. Oh, and I'll just leave this here.

oil_catch_can_dirty_intake_valves_n54a.jpg

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
One of the other techniques used to keep the valves clean on DI engines is to keep them open briefly during the beginning of the compression stroke causing a small amount of regurgitation of fuel/air mixture to bathe the valves and intake.

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Thankfully? Lmao

On the 2.7, Ford went from direct to direct/port......I think port is here to stay.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
They are switching to PI/DI every time they update an engine.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Also, not really sure how you think port provides a "better idle." Not true.
Just relaying what Ford is telling us at the dealership level for training.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
On the 2.7, Ford went from direct to direct/port......I think port is here to stay.
I was completely unaware of this - I looked it up and found that Ford is doing the same with the 3.5L Eco, moving from DI only to DI/Port.

I like where this is going.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Port-Direct Injection or, Dual Fuel from Ford will become the new standard. Direct Injection has service issues that cost too much to maintain under warranty.

EVERY FoMoCo product will be PDI by 2021...
Sponsored