Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
My favorite line:

For what it’s worth, Chevrolet is also very well aware that the gen six Camaro is widely recognized as the car to get in the class.
*Except by actual car buyers.
Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Are the Mustang numbers US only sales? That would make a huge difference if it was worldwide considering the competition isn't sold in so many countries
Usually only the US numbers are posted on these figures.

DABKO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt & 2001 DHG Bullitt
Are the Mustang numbers US only sales? That would make a huge difference if it was worldwide considering the competition isn't sold in so many countries
Only U.S. sales are reported, no overseas sales are included in these monthly numbers.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Well said on a GM board.

"Everyone that I know (simply put) thinks that the Mustang and the Challenger are just better looking cars.
These aren’t even car enthusiasts! They don’t care about the amazing alpha roots underneath the skin or even have a clue what that means. Chevrolet then ups the price on a vehicle that is known to be decent priced performance. Combine that with the Gen V looks and no one is raving like they did when they first saw the Camaro return. Challenger gets away with the same look (although handsomely/freshly updated) because it’s a timeless design (retro-look)."

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/08...lipping-sixth-gen-camaro-sales/#ixzz4J1oacBp5

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
It's kind of amazing how many Challengers have been sold in the past couple years. It hasn't had only incremental changes for the most part (excluding the Hellcat).
What surprises me the most about Challenger sales, is that it is putting up these numbers without a convertible model. Think about that, I know drop tops aren't a huge percentage of sales, but Challenger has been right there without a drop top model.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
But the real question is whether Chevy’s current strategy is delivering performance results (such as higher profits) compared to the approach it took with the fifth-generation Camaro, a vehicle that had a lower starting price and was also offered with more incentives.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/08...lipping-sixth-gen-camaro-sales/#ixzz4J1qETE00

This is telling delivering performance results means they were looking for higher profit.
Again this comes down to GM making the consumer cost higher because they thought the 6g camaro would sell at least as good as the Mustang so they would have a windfall of extra profit. GM underestimated the buying public and are paying for it.

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
The Schadenfreude is strong.

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
I was all over the place when I was looking for a new car. I was looking at used BMW M5s, Mercedes AMG C63s, I even looked at 05 Porsche 911. When I found out I would be commuting 50 miles a day I shifted my focus to new warranted vehicles.

I looked at a Camaro and Challenger when I was in the market for the Mustang and they were 40k firm for the 1SS. The Dodge Challenger was even more. I got my Mustang for 10k less than Dodge wanted for the Challenger. The Mustang is the best contender in this market for product and price. It's a ton of car for the money.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
I looked at a Camaro and Challenger when I was in the market for the Mustang and they were 40k firm for the 1SS. The Dodge Challenger was even more. I got my Mustang for 10k less than Dodge wanted for the Challenger. The Mustang is the best contender in this market for product and price. It's a ton of car for the money.
Well put.

Reduxalicious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT/CS
Another guy hit the nail on the head

"As most comments here indicate: to most potential buyers; minimal visible changes from Gen 5, poor visibility, very significant price hike for Gen 6 and no incentives are all negatively impacting sales.
I went in to my Chevy Dealer to price a 17 Camaro Gen 6 SS and was told because of “my region” I had to buy fully loaded, including sunroof and automatic transmission, neither of which I wanted. Price for the car was $57k.
I went to my Ford Dealer can order how I want! And price for a Mustang GT Premium 6 speed manual, no sunroof with 20inch wheels and every other option except the “track pack” was $10,000 less than Camaro."
I'm not going to lie and I'm just blowing smoke here but my own Personal experience, I'm not Ford loyal when it comes to Muscle Cars I'm pretty much die-hard when it comes to F150's though but that's besides the point, I looked at the Challenger, Camaro and Mustang- My critera was pretty simple-ish, V8, Manual, Satellite Radio and built in Nav- the same things my Tremor had basically, all three cars are pretty close to reach other performance wise (The 6.4L Hemi, not the 5.7) MPG I really don't care as long as I was getting more then the 16 highway I was getting in my Tremor, SO

On to the Search, Comparing and Pricing- MSRP Window on my GT/CS was 36K with offered incentives (Remember this is before dealing with anyone) , the next comparable 2016 R/T Scat-Pack was 43K and the Camaro SS was 46K WITH incentives :eyebulge: yes a 1SS at that not a 2SS

Talking to Ford they were willing to Knock a grand off and OTD Price would be 35K even with the 6 year 100K Mile warranty, window tint and first 6 oil changes and tire rotations on them, I ended up walking out with an even lower price due to my trade in and bla bla bla you know how that goes,

Chevy didn't want to come off the Camaro price AT ALL as ;They were selling like hot-cakes as is' according to their salesman and Dodge was only willing to come down to 41K, Although I probably could have if I wasn't already smitten by the GT/CS after sitting in it compared to the Camaro-

So at the end of the day- same electronic gizmo's both v8's and manual's my 16 Mustang was damn near 10K Cheaper like the man I quoted said and with 0% APR,

Another possible ignorant statement from me is, I think, Ford actually want's to just sell their cars- they seem to be willing to take a hit on price where Chevy doesn't for some reason. :shrug:

Sponsored

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
US sales only. Even Canada is not included where Mustang outsells Camaro 3 to 1.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Here soon it seems like they will have to be selling these at a loss... once that happens I think they are definitely the better car. The Mustang is just properly priced, the Camaro isn't. I don't care what it has as standard, it doesn't make the car worth it in this segment.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
No need to wonder why the Mustang is outselling the Camaro. It's common sense. Yes, the Camaro's engine choices are better than the Mustangs and it has a better chassis, but that is only one metric. Petrol heads and track enthusiasts are only a small percentage of buyers, the majority of people just want a good looking car that's priced right and is fast enough, and that's exactly what the Mustang is right now.

Lost Cosmonaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Fastback - Oxford White
Did my part to bump August numbers :D

Not surprising that the Camaro is selling like a turd. The redesign isn't bad, but it still has the windows and drivability of a tank. Plus Ford nailed the interior of the Mustang, the Camaro feels cheap in comparison (as do all GM products IMO).

I'm surprised the Challenger is even still on the map considering how old the design is now. I'm guessing the only real sales drives are with the Hellcat at the moment.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
No need to wonder why the Mustang is outselling the Camaro. It's common sense. Yes, the Camaro's engine choices are better than the Mustangs and it has a better chassis, but that is only one metric. Petrol heads and track enthusiasts are only a small percentage of buyers, the majority of people just want a good looking car that's priced right and is fast enough, and that's exactly what the Mustang is right now.
That's not the case. That is not worded correctly.

What makes the 6.2 the better engine over the Coyote? Because it has more HP and TQ, stock? That doesn't make it better. I won't reference the Eco of the V6 since I have not driven one.

Better chassis? False. It has a better suspension setup that is available in the SS like MRC.
Sponsored