Sponsored

August 2016 Mustang Sales - 8,299

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
No need to wonder why the Mustang is outselling the Camaro. It's common sense. Yes, the Camaro's engine choices are better than the Mustangs and it has a better chassis, but that is only one metric. Petrol heads and track enthusiasts are only a small percentage of buyers, the majority of people just want a good looking car that's priced right and is fast enough, and that's exactly what the Mustang is right now.
Wrong you've been reading general motors trend again. The Coyote engine is far superior to the camaro engine
Sponsored

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Wrong you've been reading general motors trend again. The Coyote engine is far superior to the camaro engine
I love my GT, but if I could snap my fingers and have the Camaro SS engine swapped in, I would.

Lost Cosmonaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Fastback - Oxford White
Not sure what makes the Camaro a "better chassis" than the S550. Maybe it had a slight advantage over the S197 but now that the S550 has IRS that advantage is gone.

As far as the motor, a bigger motor making more horsepower and torque is great but that's not everything. The S550 with the Coyote is way more balanced.

Doesn't the Camaro weigh more than the Mustang too?

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Not sure what makes the Camaro a "better chassis" than the S550. Maybe it had a slight advantage over the S197 but now that the S550 has IRS that advantage is gone.

As far as the motor, a bigger motor making more horsepower and torque is great but that's not everything. The S550 with the Coyote is way more balanced.

Trim for trim the Mustang is about 45lbs more.

Not really significant in the grand scheme of things, maybe 5%

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

Nope. Camaro is at least 100lbs lighter.

Sponsored

Nine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
That's not the case. That is not worded correctly.

What makes the 6.2 the better engine over the Coyote? Because it has more HP and TQ, stock? That doesn't make it better. I won't reference the Eco of the V6 since I have not driven one.

Better chassis? False. It has a better suspension setup that is available in the SS like MRC.
This is correct. I think another thing that works in the Mustang's favor even in the minds of people who are looking for serious performance is that the only real deficiency of a stock GT PP car vs a stock Camaro SS is a little time around a track. It's not hard to modify a Mustang to perform much better on track and (a bit of speculating here) since the buyer probably paid thousands less for the Mustang they might be able to do it for the money they would have spent on a Camaro. Essentially, compare a Camaro SS to a Mustang + mods that bring the prices to the same point. In the end a modded Mustang is easy to make considerably faster and it's the vastly better looking car and the better car to live with every day. The deficiencies of the Camaro (styling, ergonomics) can't really be fixed so if you buy one the only thing you can hang your hat on is that stock vs. stock it's a little faster than a less expensive Mustang.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I love my GT, but if I could snap my fingers and have the Camaro SS engine swapped in, I would.
Why? Just low-end torque? It's not near as mod friendly and the Coyote's bolt-on power potential is far higher.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Er...Todd...

3,715-3,675=40lbs. (Base GT vs base 1SS)
That said, a base GT + PP (the closest comparison to a 1SS) adds another 45 or so lbs to that from brakes, chassis stiffening and wheels/tires, so you're at ~90 lbs.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
When they put the Camaro name on a car you can actually see out of, they will see improved sales. I really think it is that simple. Regular people without name plate loyalty will simply tell the sales guy thanks and keep looking.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

the lt1 in the ss rates 455hp the Mustang 435hp more cubs a little more hp. The lt1 can't stand much ad on's that's why gm is using the corvette engine in the zl1. The Coyote loves power adders 700 rwhp is a pretty standard mod.

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Why? Just low-end torque? It's not near as mod friendly and the Coyote's bolt-on power potential is far higher.
Its torque is more responsive than the coyote, especially below 3500 rpm.
Stock for Stock, the Camaro is a quicker car, both in a straight line and in the turns. The engine is a big part of this.

I will probably do mods, but I am a bit gunshy about sacrificing warranty in the near term.

OP
OP
garagelogic

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Are the Mustang numbers US only sales? That would make a huge difference if it was worldwide considering the competition isn't sold in so many countries
Every month somebody asks this question and, yes, domestic sales numbers only. If they added international sales to the total, Camaro folks would curl up in a corner rocking back and forth!

Nine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Its torque is more responsive than the coyote, especially below 3500 rpm.
Stock for Stock, the Camaro is a quicker car, both in a straight line and in the turns. The engine is a big part of this.

I will probably do mods, but I am a bit gunshy about sacrificing warranty in the near term.
Do the "stage 2" Ford Performance power pack and have a dealer install it if you're concerned with the warranty. +21HP and 24TQ peak and you get +40TQ at 1500 RPM.

That would put you at peak numbers of 456HP and 424TQ with an enormous increase in torque at the low end.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
No point for anyone to argue. The sales figures continue to point to Mustang being vastly preferred. The actual reason varies from person to person.

But from my point of view the reason I've bought mustang is:
Mustang - better looking, more mod friendly.
Camaro - horrible ergonomics / visibility

Price didn't matter to me, as I could easily afford whatever I want. I prefer to keep my vehicles under $50k though as I upgrade often.

All out performance wasn't most important, but I did want something that I could do HPDE's in and have some fun.
Sponsored