Sponsored

Are there ways around using AT&T

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hotspot activation requires an AT&T data plan. Anyone know a way to make the modem work with a carrier other than AT&T?
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
probably not possible.

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
probably not possible.
My fingers are crossed that it actually is possible. Mustangs throughout Europe are able to use their hotspots, though AT&T does not exist here. So, it seems like it would be a matter of reprogramming the modem somehow.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
Unaware myself, but I am fairly surprised they chose to go with AT&T.

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Unaware myself, but I am fairly surprised they chose to go with AT&T.
Surprised Ford chose to go with AT&T? Can't speak to that, but unfortunately it's a limitation when in the U.S. Bell Canada for Canada. Similar in Mexico. Varies across Europe. So, trying to figure out how to make a U.S. built spec usable in Europe.

Sponsored

eddison

No, it’s not possible.

If you have the ability to write and flash a custom firmware to the modem (if you have this ability, I know lots of people who want to talk to you), and are also friends with an engineer at a different cell company who is willing to risk their job by allowing the ESN onto the network, then you might be able to make it connect to the network, and then you still have the whole other task of getting it to communicate to and authenticate with Ford’s servers.

US carriers are much stricter than European carriers as far as what they allow in their networks, which is why you see more flexibility with European models.

Much of Europe also operates on separate bands for cellular, so you can’t just take a US modem to Europe and expect it to work, and vice versa.

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
No, it’s not possible.

If you have the ability to write and flash a custom firmware to the modem (if you have this ability, I know lots of people who want to talk to you), and are also friends with an engineer at a different cell company who is willing to risk their job by allowing the ESN onto the network, then you might be able to make it connect to the network, and then you still have the whole other task of getting it to communicate to and authenticate with Ford’s servers.

US carriers are much stricter than European carriers as far as what they allow in their networks, which is why you see more flexibility with European models.

Much of Europe also operates on separate bands for cellular, so you can’t just take a US modem to Europe and expect it to work, and vice versa.
Thanks. Makes sense. However, found out Ford's partnership in Europe is with Vodafone, so not giving up yet. I recognize the U.S. and Europe are on different bands, since GSM is standard in Europe but not in the U.S. Fortunately, most phones are now tri-band (or better). Hoping the same is true of the modem in the car. If so, then the next step is figuring out if it's simply a matter of SIM. I do not plan to put anyone at risk. I plan to involve Ford. If it can't be done then so be it.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
FWIW, AT&T is GSM in the US.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt there's a physical SIM in the car at all, probably more of an entire module / component that needs to be replaced with a Euro spec one. Where it's located and the cost to do such, I have no idea on.

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I doubt there's a physical SIM in the car at all, probably more of an entire module / component that needs to be replaced with a Euro spec one. Where it's located and the cost to do such, I have no idea on.
Trying to find the module as well. Once found, whether it's a matter of replacing the modem (or SIM) that's probably the easy part. Another challenge may come in if it's linked to the NAV system. Still digging.
Sponsored