Sponsored

Are there any aftermarket Radio trim / Bezel for 2din Install? 15 base

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Have a 15 base. I always prefer base and upgrade anyaways afterwards so looking to do that now with a 2 din headunit. I also got the base because I like the dials for fan speed and temp etc. I want to retain all of that and only remove the little screen and the telephone buttons etc. looking to leave all factory wiring and plugs in place so it can be reversed easily and stock setup plugged back in. Planning new 2 din, rca pre-outs to sub and 4 channel amps and all new speakers etc (3 way components and changing to premium door cards).

Does anyone make such a bezel ? I’m thinking my other option is to hack a stock bezel and make my own plate to surround the new 2 din.
Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
The only one I've seen so far replaces the dials for climate controls. You also have to permanently modify something in the sub dash (according to Crutchfield).

OP
OP

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
The only one I've seen so far replaces the dials for climate controls. You also have to permanently modify something in the sub dash (according to Crutchfield).
Yeah that’s what I’m seeing. I just hate to want to settle for plug and play for a Tesla or the other digital climate bezel. I think it’s schosche that has a touch display for climate but includes no head unit.. but that’s another $500 or so which is mind blowing. If I do that might pull my late 90s pioneer premier setup out of my vette lol

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Metra and Scosche both make a similar install kit with touch screen controls for climate controls. At Crutchfield you can put it together for about $700 with the Scosche kit. You lose sync and factory bluetooth but of course you can get a head unit that supports Apple Car Play or Android Auto to make up for that. I just wish iDataLink could have done a kit with the Maestro like they have for the 2010-2014 Mustangs. Then you can get those cool metrics like oil temp or whatever displayed on the head unit (looks GTRish). You could always do a factory system like this this https://www.infotainment.com/collec...ord-mustang-4-to-8-sync-3-touchscreen-upgrade but that's 2x or more the price. I know there are also threads of people piecing them together themselves and doing the programming by following guides online and saving a few $$$.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Scoche and Metra are the only two I've found that offer a double-din kit.
I've seen a lot of complaints about the touchscreen climate controls failing after a while though.

Sponsored

mustank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
The failure is from the scoche kits. I had 4 "brains" sent out and each one failed. I switched to the metra and have not had any problems. The only thing with the metra is the "gummy" buttons for the climate control. It also is touch screen. Supposedly metra is coming out with a better, updated version that has digital display dials for climate control. I will be picking that up when it is released.

pic of my metra setup for reference.
metrakit.JPG

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the Metra come with the carbon fiber look or did you wrap that your self? If they do a dial one I would want that one.

mustank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I wrapped it myself.

Here is the new kit for the F-150. I am hoping a similar one comes out for the mustang.

99-5849CH_web.gif

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The failure is from the scoche kits. I had 4 "brains" sent out and each one failed. I switched to the metra and have not had any problems. The only thing with the metra is the "gummy" buttons for the climate control. It also is touch screen. Supposedly metra is coming out with a better, updated version that has digital display dials for climate control. I will be picking that up when it is released.
I wanted to also ask if you had to make some permanent modification to the sub dash. If so, please share what had to be done.

Thanks

Sponsored
OP
OP

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
That F-150 one looks fantastic. I'm trying to see if I can modify the oem board to keep the factory bottom half and use a double din up top. Those touch screen ones don't appeal to me visually. Stock is nothing but its clean and simple.. and I like the manual climate control vs a touch display. Given how big the mustang market is I cant believe the state of options to run traditional brand 2 dins. I plan to run factory bottom and a daisata or seicane I cant recall the name the floating 10.2" horizontal touch unit.

mustank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
That F-150 one looks fantastic. I'm trying to see if I can modify the oem board to keep the factory bottom half and use a double din up top. Those touch screen ones don't appeal to me visually. Stock is nothing but its clean and simple.. and I like the manual climate control vs a touch display. Given how big the mustang market is I cant believe the state of options to run traditional brand 2 dins. I plan to run factory bottom and a daisata or seicane I cant recall the name the floating 10.2" horizontal touch unit.
I had the base model and I also tried to modify the circuit board to ditch the upper half. Did not work.

OP
OP

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I had the base model and I also tried to modify the circuit board to ditch the upper half. Did not work.
Mind me asking what you tried ? At guys point I may just end up with an lc7i and do the iPad on top approach.

mustank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
literally just tried cutting through the board just under the base model radio section. Tried to measure the resistance of the paths and add resistors in line where the circuit should be completed. The panel only partially came up and the rear defrost was stuck on. The car would start but the stock ECU controls were wonky as. This was after the endless scoche failures and it was the middle of summer, and I was just trying to get AC working.
Sponsored