Sponsored

Anyone W/ Experience Driving Mach 1 (non HP) in Snow?

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
I am picking a Mach 1 up tomorrow and am scheduled to have the tires replaced W/ all seasons on Saturday but mother nature is planning around 4" of snow on Friday and I am just wondering if anyone has experience with driving in snow w/ the stock non-HP tires?

I just need to drive about 6 miles but had a 5th gen Camaro that wouldn't even make it up my driveway on the stock summer only tires in snow, lol.
Sponsored

FlatRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N0404
Just my 2 cents but i would hire a flatbed and have it delivered to the house, although it sounds like that driveway may be a real hurdle. is it possible to store inside at the dealer until it clears up? Keep us posted And good luck—and congratulations on your new Mach 1!

OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Just my 2 cents but i would hire a flatbed and have it delivered to the house, although it sounds like that driveway may be a real hurdle. is it possible to store inside at the dealer until it clears up? Keep us posted And good luck—and congratulations on your new Mach 1!
Thanks! Getting it home from the dealership isn't an issue, I am picking it up tomorrow and it isn't going to snow until Friday. I have a separate appt. on Saturday to get the new tires installed somewhere else, about 6 miles from my house.

When I had the tires ordered and set the appt. the forecast wasn't showing any snow.

Worse case scenario is I have to wait until things clear up on Monday and try to get home from work in time to get them switched.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Iddk what tires it comes with , PS4S vs PZeros, but I wouldn't drive either in the snow. If the forecast is anything like it is in KY, it's not even gonna rain up there.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
No way I’d have this car in snow country. Summertime only car. Been there done that. Too much car for that for a multitude of reasons I’ve already experienced. I admire your courage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
merlin803

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
No way I’d have this car in snow country. Summertime only car. Been there done that. For years.
Driving sports cars year round up here has been normal for me for over 30 years (including C7 Vette's, Gen 5 & Gen 6 Camaro's and a 2022 GT while I had it for a few months last winter). No accidents during that time (except getting rear ended at a red light when someone was driving distracted).

That being said, I always have had all season tires (and I am not normally driving them in over a few inches of snow).

If I have to live in this God forsaken climate then I am going to enjoy my cars as much as I can, LOL :)

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I enjoyed my 4WD Explorer up north passing all the accidents and stuck vehicles in the winter time. :)
Be safe and enjoy.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Full tank of gas

Throw 2-3 50lb bags of kitty litter or rock salt in trunk

Put in Drive Mode "Snow"

Use Common Sense

Give distance between you and the other vehicles around you

Don't attempt to do normal highway speeds in snow, regardless of any tire type. That's asking for trouble.

I've driven Mustangs including my prior 2016 S550 and current 2018 S550 with "summer only" tires in the snow without any issues at all.. Do the above and you'll get from A to B.

Drive Mode "Snow" is a gift. Try driving prior model year Mustangs that let alone didn't have any "drive modes", but also have no modern day "Nannie's" at all... If you're using common sense and being cautious, you'll get from A to B all the time in a sports car, while in snow.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Full tank of gas

Put in Drive Mode "Snow"

Use Common Sense

Don't attempt to do normal highway speeds in snow, regardless of any tire type. That's asking for trouble.

I've driven Mustangs including my prior 2016 S550 and current 2018 S550 with "summer only" tires in the snow without any issues at all.. Do the above and you'll get from A to B.

Drive Mode "Snow" is a gift. Try driving prior model year Mustangs that let alone didn't have any "drive modes", but also have no modern day "Nannie's" at all... If you're using common sense and being cautious, you'll get from A to B all the time in a sports car, while in snow.
Sand bags are great until the additional weight provides additional force to yourself as you slide and slam into an object. A double edged sword. The best thing one could use is common sense. Drive modes are great, but at the end of the day there are only two wheels turning -drive mode or not.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Full tank of gas

Put in Drive Mode "Snow"

Use Common Sense

CJ, I’m with you most of the time but this advice is reckless. Just because you did something doesn't mean it should be done. Summer tires in below freezing temperatures are as dangerous as slicks in the rain. All it takes is a split second to lose control.

OP, just let the car sit until it’s safe to drive it. An extra day or two won’t kill you.

Nittany_Hawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Pending
It was actively snowing when I picked up mine in January, and the Discount tire I had an appointment with was about 10 miles away. Like others said, use the snow/rain mode and take it slow and you will be fine if you have experience in the weather. The answer would depend on how much accumulation is on the road. If you can afford to wait though, always the better option. It is amazing how restrictive that snow mode is though, especially paired with a manual transmission.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
What's this "snow" thing you guys are talking about? Never heard of it down here. 🔥🥵🔥

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Snow/Rain mode is great! Just give yourself plenty of distance and be ready to counter-steer.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Install winter/snow tires, not all-seasons. Then switch back to the Summer tires for you know, summer. All season tires are basically just a compromise in every aspect.
Sponsored