Sponsored

anyone driven both a Hellion Twin AND a Whipple?

doccoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1967 fastback, 2019 Bullitt
Does anyone have any feedback on their "rathers"? I'm really only interested in hearing from folks who have actually DRIVEN BOTH a Hellion Twin Turbo setup AND a Whipple supercharger setup on their S550.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Hope you don't mean at the same time. I'm neither a whipple or hellion owner, just a concerned citizen.

OP
OP

doccoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1967 fastback, 2019 Bullitt
Hope you don't mean at the same time. I'm neither a whipple or hellion owner, just a concerned citizen.
I considered that when i posted it. :cwl: Actually, i think there is a weird way you could use both technologies at the same time but.... i'm just wanting to hear someone's opinion who has actually driven both. I know turbo guys love turbos and charger guys love chargers. I'm pretty sure I love both but don't know which to put on my Bullitt.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure I love both but don't know which to put on my Bullitt.
Little low end now, more later whipple/roush. Lot lowend now lot later vmp/kenne bell. Nothing on the bottom and all up top centri. Shitload of horsepower with minimal PSI twin turbo. Pick your poison. JMO.

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Does anyone have any feedback on their "rathers"? I'm really only interested in hearing from folks who have actually DRIVEN BOTH a Hellion Twin Turbo setup AND a Whipple supercharger setup on their S550.
I've driven both and they are completely different in my opinion. I think @WildHorse nailed it on his post btw. I prefer the Whipple as it's instant and funner to drive than the turbo setup (had a whipple on my gt350R). I haven't driven a centri setup yet, but they are pretty much the same way as the turbos as they need RPM to build boost.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I had a 9 second single turbo f body and now a Whipple 2018 gt. Traction is a major problem on both. The Whipple is easier to modulate throttle than a turbo. With the turbo you’d better have a tire. Mine was basically all or nothing.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Volvo does it all the time, it's called twincharging. It's how they got 367 HP from a 2-liter.
Never heard of this before, do you foresee this tech going into other companies? or has a lot of cons?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
damn, 525hp from that little engine. wonder why more people aren't going this route, and just tossing way bigger turbos on.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Given that your car is a manual, personally, I’d take the Whipple. Turbos are sweet on an auto, but the game is slightly different for a manual.
Each to their own of course, but the majority of the responses you’ll get here won’t even factor the transmission type into the equation.
Food for thought if nothing else.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
"anyone driven both a Hellion Twin AND a Whipple?"
Yes, I once dreamt I had eaten a bushel of mushrooms while dating a unicorn and we somehow managed to drive both.. at the same time.. while transcedental unicorn .. ehh.. bonding...
...and then I woke up.
Had a 15 Whipple for 3 years, got a ride in a Hellion from whoever is friends w Colvins when hanging out there 2 years back. Both epic.

Edit: I sold the Whipple w the 2015 to get the 10 speed. I am going TT next, just for different experience, but not necessarily for more power, will likely size down turbos for max 750 wheel with very early spool and tune to transmission max torque reliability.

Last edited:

HELLION TURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hello.

Just wanted to add that we have many turbo options to meet your expectations. We have a twin 55 mm option that will spool almost instantly if that type of throttle response is desired. With a boost controller option, you can set the boost curve to any type you would like. For instance, if you have the 55 units, they can be set to hit hard, lighting up right off throttle. If you want to control traction and slow the boost, you simply reach over and change the setting with the touch of a button and the boost can be changed to come on more slowly, all done without changing pulleys/belts etc.

Touching on the compound boost conversation, we have a compound boost setup for the 03/04 Cobra now, as well as our new kit for the Hellcat/Demon/Redeye. We used to make a kit for the previous GT 500 that was compound and it works well. You will always make more power turbo only, but the options/technology today make being an enthusiast so much fun!

Team Hellion

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
That twincharged EcoBoost was a pretty cool build we were fortunate to be a part of. They couldn't get enough fuel for the compound boost setup so we set them up with one of our Firestorm HPFPs and also ended up having the car come in for some world class dyno tuning as well. The combo never really took off , but was featured in some great articles including on Donut Media as well.

I've driven both setups since we install them at the shop and a few others have already hit the nail on the head explaining it here. It honestly all depends on what people plan to do with the car and what their goals would be, but I'm a big fan of both setups.
Sponsored