Sponsored

Any Bullitt engine ticks?

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
OK ! I think it's time for one more opinion. Here is my take on the engine noise.
My Bullitt is nearing 2500 miles and I drive it daily. I hear familiar low rpm rattle everyday under light throttle. It causes me NO concern whatsoever.

I am old. I've owned MANY different vehicles and can draw from past experiences.
Most vehicles I've owned were usually well abused. Back then the oil quality was crucial to the longevity of the engine, particularly the bottom end.
Normal age and wear on the bearings would make them rattle exactly as what I hear on the Bullitt albeit more prominent and consistent. This was particularly true
on very hot days when the high oil temps would quickly thin out the oil. The oil pressure would drop to nearly nil as well. A fresh oil change to a higher viscosity would remedy the situation until the oil deteriorated again.
I also had a Pontiac engine rebuilt where the shop loosened the bearing clearances in the interest of a quicker reving nature. I drove this engine for MANY years on
the street and many passes on the strip in various cars. It always had the faint lower bearing rattle. At the builder's recommendation, I always used a higher viscosity oil.
SO.... my theory is that these engines are purposely built rather loose. Today's manufacturers recommend 0 and 5 weight oil in the interest of efficiency, fuel mileage and power. And...I don't have to tell you...this engine winds up really fast! I am going to change to a different viscosity synthetic in a few hundred miles. I suspect the noise will me less noticeable. Not so much to cover a defect, but in the interest of a bit more protection as the oil breaks down.
My GTO' and Corvettes always drank higher viscosity Mobil 1 than suggested with no issues. And some of those would have terrible piston slap when cold as well!
Same with my Jaguars and Mini Coopers.
As for the engines that Ford replaced as defective; Just because they accepted the responsibility does not mean they were defective. There are many reasons for
warranty coverage. The all knowing prima donna tech condemns an engine for a bearing showing a bit wear....I hear the bullshit all the time. I work at a dealership.
He'd have to replace it or rebuild it. Since he really doesn't want it to come back and haunt him...it's defective.
So many paranoid whining customers with concerns are catered to simply because the dealership wants them to go away!
The forums have a few people that believe they have an issue and all of a sudden it must be an epidemic. Not passing judgement or pointing fingers, but just because
a few cars have issues doesn't necessarily mean they're all junk. And then there are those that are paranoid about problems they may not have.

There you have it ...my theory. I'm not an engineer or expert of any sort. Just sharing my thoughts.
I know that this long of a read will undoubtedly lead to my words being mocked, picked apart or whatever. Again just my theory.
I'll let you know if it blows to smithereens !!!

Ernie
Thank you for the dose of sanity. While I have both the tick and rattle, I'm gonna drive it until the doors fall off. I had 2 NSXs in the past that I babied like all get out... and discovered I was so worried about "my precious" that I forgot to have any fun with them. Not going to fall prey to that this time around.

Just put Ceratec in this afternoon, I'll see how it goes. Changing to BG SynchroShift II on Tuesday... see how that goes, too. Beyond that, if the car becomes undrivable, it will go in to the dealer. Nothing that happens or doesn't happen to my car is going to be the biggest thing for me all week, no matter what the week holds. It's a piece of equipment... a fun and exciting piece of equipment, yes, but, at the end of the day, still just equipment... and equipment under warranty, yet.

Please, everyone, remember what is REALLY important to you: your family, your animals, your friends. They will not always be here... and, maybe, neither will you. Enjoy your day with your really fun car and try not to worry.
Sponsored

Tim Kiely

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2008 HG Bullitt #4007, 2019 DHG Bullitt #0373
Thank god for some freaking clarity. Just drive them! All this damn talk of engine problems almost makes me want to detonate my engine! Lord knows I have tried with several cars in the past! Maybe I will get lucky and this will be my first. Hahahahaha

Retroman1969

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
Thank you Ernie, thatā€™s a well-reasoned argument! :)

Retroman1969

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
Well I made my trip to the dealer today. Hereā€™s what I got.....

The heavy tech that greeted me was ā€œthe Mustang guyā€. I donā€™t have any experience with these cars so Iā€™m going on what he said......

My noise was indeed piston slap, but it was normal for the Coyote engine under those conditions. He personally has a 2018 GT with the same noise under the same conditions. He also stated that a few old customers of theirs with earlier Coyote equipped Mustangs have complained about similar noises for years and have never had an issue. No cylinder wall damage apparent and the oil is still full and clean. He stated that it would likely have burned some oil or left marks by now if there was a problem.
He suggested 5w30 on my next service since we live in a generally warmer climate.

Final verdict: drive, enjoy, it will most likely never be an issue, and is covered by warranty if it ever is.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Well I made my trip to the dealer today. Hereā€™s what I got.....

The heavy tech that greeted me was ā€œthe Mustang guyā€. I donā€™t have any experience with these cars so Iā€™m going on what he said......

My noise was indeed piston slap, but it was normal for the Coyote engine under those conditions. He personally has a 2018 GT with the same noise under the same conditions. He also stated that a few old customers of theirs with earlier Coyote equipped Mustangs have complained about similar noises for years and have never had an issue. No cylinder wall damage apparent and the oil is still full and clean. He stated that it would likely have burned some oil or left marks by now if there was a problem.
He suggested 5w30 on my next service since we live in a generally warmer climate.

Final verdict: drive, enjoy, it will most likely never be an issue, and is covered by warranty if it ever is.
Amen... Bruce

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
So he said running a different oil weight was ok for the warranty?

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
So he said running a different oil weight was ok for the warranty?
They run 5w-30 in Australia so it would be VERY hard/impossible for them to void based on that. The 2018 Manual even says that they recommend 30 for hot regions or track use.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
On the fence with what to use for first oil change. Currently planning on Castrol Edge 5W20 (already have the oil). Going forward, will probably go with Edge Extended Performance 5W30. Car is driven Spring through Fall and it gets pretty hot in the interior in the Summer, where it will get driven a lot.

Sponsored

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Was a nice day today, sunny and 13C (54F), so took the Bullitt for a drive. Coming up on 2,550km (1,600 miles) on the odometer. Maid a point of listening for the tick or any other noise. They only thing I heard was as it was warming up, about 2-4 minutes after I started it, was a non-rhythmic ticking, which I attributed to heating expansion. During the drive after it was fully up to temp, nothing at all. So, so far, so good....

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Regarding the Tick. I don't think that Ford has ever made a 32v v8 that didn't have a tick. The 4.6 had a form of it and every gen 5.0 has it. I also haven't seen anything based on the threads that the tick is actually directly connected to any issues. SOME(like 4?) cars over the last 7yrs have also had wall scoring, some have also had a cam issues, but no one has seemingly actually connected it with the ticking.

Others have noticed that running a X-w30 or X-w40 oil makes it go away. I had noticed the same with my own Mach1. It was noticeably louder with a 20 than 30 or 40.
Hi. New to the forum.

I just traded in my '08 Bullitt on a '19. It had 135K miles and purred like a kitten; no Tick that I heard (and I listen to my cars--a habit I acquired when I used to pilot light aircraft, you listen for anything and everything).

I'd be careful 'rolling the dice' on oil weight. When I bought my '08 I had a case of 10W-30 sitting on the shelf, and contemplated using it in my Bullitt, but decided to stick with 5W-20. Come to find out later the 4.6L had a bad habit of breaking camshaft tensioners; using a heavier weight oil, which took longer to pressurize the tensioners, could contribute to that problem.

Bob

Last edited:

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
That link has some interesting comments from a variety Owners of other brand manufacturers....

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Not to say it is not real, but people are generally paranoid and once something has been identified they start looking for it, and here other sounds and start freaking out.....

I'm not going to stress over it or start looking for it, maybe because I have been driving a car with DI for 13 years and use to the "tractor" sound at low RPM. I purchased extended warranty, so if something happens, it gets fixed.
Sponsored