BrandoS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brando
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hi,
Still new to this whole S550 body but one thing I'm stuck on is....
Trying to snoop around here and I mainly find guys with FBO and e-85, but are there true hard core guys around on the forums doing an all motor builds from cam swaps to piston upgardes?
Please direct to the light the link :like:.

MKL_DS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Palm Beach dyno posted a nasty all motor car last week. Think it was running 10.1

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
It'd probably be cheaper just to buy an Aluminator rather than redoing the shorblock / heads / etc for max effort.
You can build a new short block from scratch for $3500 then sale the stock for $2000 keep and build the heads for $800. Far less than a aluminator

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Ahh yes I've seen that video. full blown shop car. I guess nobody "average joe's" likes to do a all motor build with [this] engine?
Not really, Unless your a shop car selling parts and services, for the kinda money and time you're talking about it's cheaper and easier to strap whatever choice of FI on it and you'll have 700rwhp for less than what you'll have in an "all motor' NA build over the course of a weekend install.

However, since I already have a 800+hp 3v for a race car, I was going to do a CJ and cam's hi revving N/A on my Gen3 til it was killed last spring.

Had the cams and springs ready to install Memorial Day weekend but lost the car Thursday before ...

As far as price, Jackson isn't wrong, you can build a bullet proof short block for less than 5k.

Presuming you pull , built and reinstall your block:

Connecting Rods, Personally I'd use an I-beam -- $1200
Diamond pistons and Total Seal rings -- $1200
Bearings Clevite or King, coated -- $400
Machine Shop -- $1400
Unless you assemble it yourself -- $600

Now add cams -- $1600

CJ intake/Throttlebody/CAI -- $2200

So now you're pushing 9k with gaskets and tuning.

Add $3k+ if you want ported heads.

Unless you're building a road racer, you can see why few "average Joe's" build a high power NA car.

However, these car's do respond to well to minimal engine mod's. With weight reduction and E85 A10 cars can run mid 10,s on the 1/4.

I was at Rockingham back in December and a couple Gen3's were running quicker than my Hellcat , Granted my 'Cat is still stock [except for M&H DR's] and 800lbs heavier, it's also $20k more expensive.

They were both running 11,0xx's and I ran an 11,17.

OP
OP
BrandoS550

BrandoS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brando
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thats a good amount of money but I don’t have 8-13k “from what I can find” for turbo kit plus the tune. I’ll like to progress with the mods you mention minus the rod and piston. I’ll like to start of with intake and maybe a CJ IM to get it out the way, then headers cat back and last cams. Unless piston and rods are really necessary with doing a cam swap on a gen 3.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Not really, Unless your a shop car selling parts and services, for the kinda money and time you're talking about it's cheaper and easier to strap whatever choice of FI on it and you'll have 700rwhp for less than what you'll have in an "all motor' NA build over the course of a weekend install.

However, since I already have a 800+hp 3v for a race car, I was going to do a CJ and cam's hi revving N/A on my Gen3 til it was killed last spring.

Had the cams and springs ready to install Memorial Day weekend but lost the car Thursday before ...

As far as price, Jackson isn't wrong, you can build a bullet proof short block for less than 5k.

Presuming you pull , built and reinstall your block:

Connecting Rods, Personally I'd use an I-beam -- $1200
Diamond pistons and Total Seal rings -- $1200
Bearings Clevite or King, coated -- $400
Machine Shop -- $1400
Unless you assemble it yourself -- $600

Now add cams -- $1600

CJ intake/Throttlebody/CAI -- $2200

So now you're pushing 9k with gaskets and tuning.

Add $3k+ if you want ported heads.

Unless you're building a road racer, you can see why few "average Joe's" build a high power NA car.

However, these car's do respond to well to minimal engine mod's. With weight reduction and E85 A10 cars can run mid 10,s on the 1/4.

I was at Rockingham back in December and a couple Gen3's were running quicker than my Hellcat , Granted my 'Cat is still stock [except for M&H DR's] and 800lbs heavier, it's also $20k more expensive.

They were both running 11,0xx's and I ran an 11,17.

We were talking about a short block and reusing the heads. Trying to build something just as good or better than a aluminator
New block 750
New Rods h beam 750
New Mahle pistons with rings 850
New Crank 350
New King bearings 250
Machine shop 400
Valve job 600
$3950 now add gaskets and little other stuff and you are right around the $4300 mark he set. You can still sale the stock shortblock

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
We were talking about a short block and reusing the heads

So Am I.

No offense but while I'm well aware you can pay $400 at "Redneck Joe's Machine shop [[ I paid less than that to machine the Chrysler 360 in my boat , But that thing only turns 5000rpm ]]

There's no way in hell I'd let a guy who's main business is push rod iron blocks machine a Gen3 'Yote.

Didn't Steeda post they trapped 140+ with the stock internals and ported heads ??

So unless the OP is planning on bumping the C/R to 14 and running corn I'd leave the stock rotating assembly alone and focus on the heads.

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
iT'S RIGHT IN THERE DESCRIPTION :
" With a rating of 580 horsepower at 7,800 rpm "

Only thing I've seen that's close is STEEDA 9 sec NA car. I promise they spent more than 5g on the engine. Anyone who thinks they can go faster cheaper NA is delusional.
where are you seeing 5 grand? the motor I posted is $23,000 if you think you cant build better for less you're out of your mind