Sponsored

Another Recent Blown Ecoboost Engine

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Actually I have a feeling S mode is a bit safer on the motor. In D mode the motor is usually lugging a lot and even pretty extremely sometimes which seems to be the biggest issue with these motors. In S mode it keeps the revs up much better and the motor seems to be working a lot less stress fully.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
When this occurred it was at low RPM, cylinder 1 seems to be the issue. When the Engine light was displayed, after checking the codes P0301, P0316, B108E, B1215, and B1446 were displayed. There have been no mods that were recently added. I have always used Premium gas. If I take it to Ford and if they are willing to warranty it do they usually put a new motor that's on the newest Mustangs? I am not sure what caused it and when I have the motor replaced if I should have it tuned again by Livernois.
Being that the car was tuned, IF your Dealership has to provide any PCM info to Ford for a Warranty Authorization, Ford will see the “tune” via key start logs. IF the Dealership is one that is not required to turn over PCM data logs for Warranty Authorization, then most likely you may get a new engine. Every Dealership is different in how they handle such major warranty work (and if they are a high volume dealer vs a low volume dealer).

The replacement engine will be from available current stock, they don’t go backwards into some storage closet grabbing another 2015 stamped rotating assembly... LOL (being sarcastic).

It’s worth a try taking it to a Dealership to see what happens before making a repair decision.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Gunna say it, whenever I read here is my lengthy mod list and I have never pushed it before, I get really suspicious as those to things are not usually together. Hard to believe.

ryan_meadows412

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang ecoboost
You have a long list of mods, you checked the plug gap before you put them in? When was the JMSpedalmax installed? I would blame that as the cause before everything else, I don't know why people would put that crap on their car that's begging for trouble.

@AnasB^ECO
I don't believe they made any changes to the engine for the 18+
I heard those things are horrible for your car and that is likely the cause. Especially with a tune. All those pedalmax controllers do is tell the ecu to push more boost by tricking it to think the boost is lower than what it is. Which results in too high of a boost for the engine and turbo and boom goes your engine. If you look at people selling those things used, no one buys them. Cause everyone knows they're crap. Sorry that happened but I'm willing to bet that was the cause. Hooefully the dealership will still honor your warranty..

Cyclone390GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I heard those things are horrible for your car and that is likely the cause. Especially with a tune. All those pedalmax controllers do is tell the ecu to push more boost by tricking it to think the boost is lower than what it is. Which results in too high of a boost for the engine and turbo and boom goes your engine. If you look at people selling those things used, no one buys them. Cause everyone knows they're crap. Sorry that happened but I'm willing to bet that was the cause. Hooefully the dealership will still honor your warranty..

I think you are confusing the pedalmax with the boostmax.

Sponsored

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
Hey @mSTANG_1 I'm sorry to hear about this all man, unfortunately it is all too common. In the event that the dealership does not honor your warranty and you're looking for a better block, let me know and I can get you an invoice set up with everything you'll need if that's the route you'd like to go.

Zach

Last edited:

ryan_meadows412

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang ecoboost
I think you are confusing the pedalmax with the boostmax.
I'm not sure, but I heard none of those plug and play type devices are good for your car. And especially with a tune. Anything that pedalmax can do, a tuner can do. Think about it, it's just making changes to your ecu. Which is a tuners job, except they do it custom to your car. I dont know if that was the cause for sure, but I wouldn't doubt it. I see those on a lot of cars with blown engines. I'd say if you have one, be careful or just get rid of it. Better safe than sorry..

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Gunna say it, whenever I read here is my lengthy mod list and I have never pushed it before, I get really suspicious as those to things are not usually together. Hard to believe.
I was thinking the same thing. The only modification I have is a drop in air filter and I drive like a mad man, within legal limits of course.

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue 2.3T/AT Mustang
How long was the pedal max on the car for? Did livernois know about it and tune for it? Royal Purple sucks. I cringe when I hear if the name. In fact..Royal Purple is the reason I started using Ames oil.
Things don't just go boom when working perfectly fine before. Noise? Oil change? Modification? No...plugs would not cause this. If a check engine light comes on. Then diagnose it, and fix it before doing anything. Could be a head gasket leaking coolant into the cylinder. Could be bad gas, or a faulty sensor. If you hear noise and a check engine light pops up... then why would you keep driving it?? Dont blame Ford or expect Ford to fo favors. Comon sense and a little logic does wonders.
However, I am sorry for your loss. Just dont blame Ford or shout EcoBoost. I am tired of that term.

Sponsored

ryan_meadows412

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang ecoboost
@Cobra Jet

Do you know if a high volume dealer is most likely to send PCM data versus a low volume dealer?
I cant say for sure but I will say this... I bought my mustang at a high volume dealership and when I talked to them they said they would have to for a problem like that. On the other hand, I have a buddy who took his car in for warranty work on his engine at a low volume dealer and left his accessport plugged in and one of the guys at the dealership hid it for him so none of the other employees would see it. So seems as if low volume would be your best bet..

Cyclone390GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I cant say for sure but I will say this... I bought my mustang at a high volume dealership and when I talked to them they said they would have to for a problem like that. On the other hand, I have a buddy who took his car in for warranty work on his engine at a low volume dealer and left his accessport plugged in and one of the guys at the dealership hid it for him so none of the other employees would see it. So seems as if low volume would be your best bet...
Fwiw, I talked to a friend of mine who is a tech at a large dealership in Tulsa. He told me the decision isn't up to the dealership, but rather it is up to Ford. He said they'll turn it in to Ford and its up to Ford if they want additional info. Sometimes they'll ask for ECU data and sometimes they wont.

Last edited:

ryan_meadows412

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang ecoboost
Fwiw, I talked to a friend of mine who is a tech at a large dealership in Tulsa. He told me the decision isn't up to the dealership, but rather it is up to Ford. He said they'll turn it in to Ford and its up to Ford if they want additional info. Sometimes they'll ask for ECU data and sometimes they wont.
Makes sense. I heard with problems that serious they have to send it up. But who knows...

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
FWIW, my son was the service manager for a CDJR dealership, all warranty claims are subject to approval by the manufacturer. Most of the time its just a matter of course that it is approved, other times they require the dealership to do some extra investigation, sometimes they send a field service tech to look at the vehicle, sometimes they want the offending part back for root cause analysis. Dealerships also get some flexibility to cover things that aren't under warranty for good will. Dealerships also are tracked and if they are putting in an unusual level of claims for a particular failure they may have to do extra investigations before a warranty claim that is normally approved without question gets approved.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Another Recent Blown ^TUNED^ EcoBoost Motor
FTFY. Obviously, you won't know what caused the issue until you have the engine torn down (and you may not be able to definitively prove anything even then), but the overwhelming majority of reported catastrophic engine failures (that I've heard about) involve an engine tune. There is a lot of expectation that these engines are hearty enough to withstand power deliveries significantly higher than stock, and I'm not sure that it's deserved. As far as I know, Ford Performance is the only aftermarket tune supplier that conducted long-term testing, and the additional power above stock on tap with its tune is modest.

As others have noted, given the number of mods you've installed intended to increase engine power, Ford Motor Co is under no obligation to honor your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. If you know someone that works at a local Ford dealership that you trust you may ask for some help. The only way you get out of this cheap is if the servicing dealership cuts you some slack, because if Ford Motor Co learns of all the mods you've installed you are going to be buying a new engine.

Please keep us up-to-date on what the inspection reveals as the likely cause (if anything).
Sponsored

Last edited: