Sponsored

Cost to replace blown Ecoboom engine?

Spin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
My wife's been driving a 2014 Escape with a 2.0L Ecoboost since new; it currently has nearly 80k on the clock. We've followed the recommended maintenance schedule to the letter, including following the oil change recommendation from the computer. It has gotten the same mileage since we bought it, it idles and runs smooth, pulls strong, doesn't smoke or leak/burn oil, and most of all she's happy with it. The only real money we've put in aside from acquisition cost is we upgraded the Infotainment to Sync 3 (it came with MyFordTouch, which was okay, but no Android Auto). I wouldn't hesitate to hop in her car and drive it coast-to-coast if needed. It's been one of the most trouble-free and reliable cars we've ever owned, and that includes several Hondas and Toyotas.
Thanks for the reply. That really puts my mind at ease. It is interesting to me that you upgraded to the Sync 3. My dealer says I would need the Equipment Group 101A to do that and that's a $2000 package that has other stuff I don't need. I would like to get Sync 3 if I could get it alone at a more reasonable price. If you don't mind, could you tell me how much the Sync 3 upgrade was? Thanks
Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Thanks for the reply. That really puts my mind at ease. It is interesting to me that you upgraded to the Sync 3. My dealer says I would need the Equipment Group 101A to do that and that's a $2000 package that has other stuff I don't need. I would like to get Sync 3 if I could get it alone at a more reasonable price. If you don't mind, could you tell me how much the Sync 3 upgrade was? Thanks
Sync 3 wasn't available in 2014 when we bought the wife's car. She absolutely HAD to have Sync 3 after she saw it in my car, so upgrading hers at $1500 was cheaper than getting a new car!

We went with an aftermarket vendor called 4dtech. They offer an upgrade for the 2018 Mustang, but you're probably better off getting it installed as an option from the factory. It's $1900 and you won't get any of the other stuff that comes with an upgraded options package.

https://www.4dtech.com/products/ford/mustang/2018/myford-4/

Spin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Yea, it looks like I'm going to have to spend the 2 grand and get Group 101A. It is a shame because I like the wheels better that come on the car without 101A. I will have to live with the upgraded wheels because I'm sure you know that in any marriage one partner is always right and the other one is the husband!!

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
No mods planned other than possibly a CAI. This is probably going to be the fastest car we ever owned bone stock!! We are really looking forward to taking delivery.
I would recommend one with a paper filter. There's been lots of problems with intake fouling with the oil soaked type (do a youtube search on "ecoboost CAI" and watch all the Ford mechanics pipe up about having to clean intakes!). In addition, I would imagine that it would contribute to intake valve coking (a problem you definitely want to avoid long term in an ecoboost engine-you can't exactly put a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank and expect it to clean the valves in our engines, like you can with port injection). And other intake treatments, like Sea Foam, are off limits in the Ecoboost as well (it'll destroy the turbo) :doh: To fix valve coking out of warranty, the industry accepted solution on turbocharged DI engines is to remove the intake manifold and media blast the valves (still in the engine/cyl. head) with something relatively harmless like walnut shells.

Spin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I would recommend one with a paper filter. There's been lots of problems with intake fouling with the oil soaked type (do a youtube search on "ecoboost CAI" and watch all the Ford mechanics pipe up about having to clean intakes!). In addition, I would imagine that it would contribute to intake valve coking (a problem you definitely want to avoid long term in an ecoboost engine-you can't exactly put a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank and expect it to clean the valves in our engines, like you can with port injection). And other intake treatments, like Sea Foam, are off limits in the Ecoboost as well (it'll destroy the turbo) :doh: To fix valve coking out of warranty, the industry accepted solution on turbocharged DI engines is to remove the intake manifold and media blast the valves (still in the engine/cyl. head) with something relatively harmless like walnut shells.
Wow, thanks for that info. I'm glad I came to this forum. All you guys have been really helpful to a newbie like me, and it is much appreciated!!

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Wow, thanks for that info. I'm glad I came to this forum. All you guys have been really helpful to a newbie like me, and it is much appreciated!!
There have been many discussions about CAI vs. drop in filter and I believe the drop in filter performs better, and is a lot less expensive. I use the K&N (drop in oil type filter) but there are dry drop in filters as well. The drip in filters are more warranty friendly.

Last edited:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
To fix valve coking out of warranty, the industry accepted solution on turbocharged DI engines is to remove the intake manifold and media blast the valves (still in the engine/cyl. head) with something relatively harmless like walnut shells.
FYI, unless Ford has changed its policy the factory directs head replacement for cars that experience valve coking that interferes with engine operation during the warranty period. In other words, there is no acceptable cleaning method as far as the factory is concerned.

Once the car is out of warranty you're free to do whatever you like, of course. :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if their local Ford service department performs the walnut shell procedure?

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
FYI, unless Ford has changed its policy the factory directs head replacement for cars that experience valve coking that interferes with engine operation during the warranty period. In other words, there is no acceptable cleaning method as far as the factory is concerned.

Once the car is out of warranty you're free to do whatever you like, of course. :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if their local Ford service department performs the walnut shell procedure?
I'm just curious if other manufacturers have a manufacturer approved "special sauce" to put down the intake :thumbsup: There's one company on YouTube that claims to make a turbo friendly intake cleaner (and they say in their videos that it'll work in the Ecoboost), but if you hammer them on Ford's approval of their product, they delete your comments :ninja:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
... because I'm sure you know that in any marriage one partner is always right and the other one is the husband!!
Happy wife, happy life. Some might call that being whipped. I say if being whipped means I get to drive a Mustang then so be it. :cheers:
Sponsored