Sponsored

Another Gen 5 whipple thread .

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
There are 2 core sizes 245 mm Mustang and 258 mm F150, the advantage to the truck core is a bigger lock up clutch pack within the converter. The larger core will also be slightly tighter in stall speed due to it's bigger diameter.
Sponsored

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Yes but It turned out that was not the culprit (although one of the clutches had burn marks ) for it running badly
It was due to fouling the O2 sensors running lead race gas .
Was that causing the short shifting and flare though because all of a sudden I have a lot of 1-2 part throttle flare, along with short shifting and TQ_CNTL 26 in my log, unfortunately TQ_CNTL 2 ( TC is causing it to to slowly go lean at full boost)....all around weirdness from the trans....

Thanks

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Yes but It turned out that was not the culprit (although one of the clutches had burn marks ) for it running badly
It was due to fouling the O2 sensors running lead race gas .
Was that causing the short shifting and flare though because all of a sudden I have a lot of 1-2 part throttle flare, along with short shifting and TQ_CNTL 26 in my log, unfortunately TQ_CNTL 2 ( TC is causing it to to slowly go lean at full boost)....all around weirdness from the trans....

Thanks

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple

Thanks
That sounds like you clutches may be going .
I replaced mine when I started having issues but just saying some of the problems I was experiencing was due to bad 02 sensors.

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
At the end of last year I thought may be my engine may be hurt based on the low trap speeds I was seeing with the six rib 3.25 pulley compared to others .143 mph vs. 147-148 mph.
I already have a new long block built - fairly simple .5.2 Gen 3 block, Mahle(Voodoo) pistons /Manley H rods.
New Heads/Livernois valve springs, predator head gaskets and ARP head studs . I will be switching to a 10 rib/20% ATI damper(ordered 3.375 10 rib),crank support, alternator relocation kit and Cobra jet tensioner bracket. I will be swapping the stock manifolds and cat deletes for Kooks long tubes/off road pipes(also have green cats).

I also replaced the dead stock battery with a lightweight battery and will be doing Baer front and rear drag brakes to lose some weight .

I did do a compression test on the stock motor that now has 25,000 miles (that's a record for me) and first test showed slightly low numbers in cylinder #7 although it came back up on repeated test.

I decided to see how much power it was actually making but had dyno operator repeat the compression test before any pulls . He said all the cylinders checked out fine before the pulls.
I dropped down to the 2.85 6 rib Grip tech for the pulls and as I expected its not making the power I think it should.

SAE 890@7300 -pull was done in 7th gear so it hit the speed limiter.
STD was a little higher
18GT-A10-Whipple-2.875.STD.jpg
18GT-A10-Whipple-2.875SAE.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since we were unable to rev it out in 7th gear , we did a 6th gear pull and did not see any gains. I don't have that graph yet so not sure how high .

Also dropped the exhaust to see if the resonator was a restriction . No gain but also looked like it went lean on one bank on that pull.

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
How much cylinder pressure were you seeing, I just did one at 2500 mo

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Below are the initial test results done at my dealers performance shop .
Dyno operator is an engine builder and I trust him.
He said I should not compare his numbers to the dealers -Think he said he used a different tool- but said his numbers were 140-150 all cylinders
F3A69341-456B-4D03-A48D-6DF725701EF3.jpeg

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
900whp on the stock motor and he is not happy. Lol. I love it! How much timing were you seeing?

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 *

Sponsored

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Below are the initial test results done at my dealers performance shop .
Dyno operator is an engine builder and I trust him.
He said I should not compare his numbers to the dealers -Think he said he used a different tool- but said his numbers were 140-150 all cylinders
F3A69341-456B-4D03-A48D-6DF725701EF3.jpeg
I had meant to say, my #8 was just like that dropped out 20 or so from others...I drove it around another 200 miles and rechecked it was fine....
Then last week I changed the oil again at 2500 miles, first time an engines ever lasted long enough to NEED a change ( 250 then 2500) ran em just the same all 175-185psi #8 still right where it was first time maybe 5psi more. ..
Both my post may 2019 long blocks have significantly less compression than my original engine, which was more like yours but 220-230s...the replacement engines 175-185s SAME gauge......
Hmmmmmm

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL
Not unhappy especially since this is the longest the stock motor has lasted out of the 4 cars .
Heck it’s is even lasted longer than some of my “built” motors .
If it runs low 9’s/high 140’s ...and stays together before I swap in the new motor I will be even happier .

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Things have been so busy between work and home lately but finally got a chance to go a drag strip .... but did not end well .

I run the stock PS4 tires on SVE 350 wheels as my summer daily and have a set of matching rear wheels with MT SS 305/35 19 I have been meaning to swap on so I finally did .

With the 2.875 pulley and the PS4’s it has been dangerous to go WOT on the streets (I did once in 4th and rear end almost came around on me ).

This weekend was my only window due to work /weather so I decided to drive the car 150 miles away to US41 which is the only strip around here that does test and tune in Saturday.

I did have a set of big and littles (MH 275/50 on race stars and 18 skinnies ) I loaded in the car just in case .... but I knew I would be too lazy to swap them my self .

Well , first pass attempts with Mickey’s lowered to 19 psi was an indication of things to come .
left off idle ....spin city so I aborted but still ran it down after getting traction.

It picked up 36 mph on the big end which is definitely an improvement and reflects the new power.
Logs looked good so decided to try again with 17 psi and different lane .
Well , it hooked and heard loud bang out back but it was still moving forward so I cruised to the line , then loud bang again at the end of the track but now will not move in gear .
Banging is coming from driver side rear but I could push the car(well pulled ) back to the pits in neutral .
I can’t see anything under the car but I assume it’s a busted half shaft (DSS 800 I had fixed once after it broke on another car).

To make my night worse , I could not find a tow back to the Indianapolis area . One I found said ,passengers could not ride in the cab ...thanks COVID 19 !
Only option left was to leave the car and get a ride home . Well did not know anyone there that could give me a ride (most people there are from Chicago) and was SOL trying to get a LYFT /UBER. The track is kind of in middle of nowhere.

After 2 hours of trying I realized the only was was to call the wife ... 1.5 hours away at midnight .
Needless to say she was not pleased .Only good thing is I saved the $250 the UBER/LYfT would have cost . Lol

I guess I can put that towards half shaft .

What a night . Finally learned my lesson(after doing this for 10 years I came back from this track on a flat bed only once before .. but multiple other times at “closer” ones - ONLY 100 miles away .

Since I don’t have trailer (or have plans for one ) better stick to the only local track (Lucas oil way ) . They are strict and now consistently get kicked out after one pass . Not going to put in a cage in so my drag racing days may be truly coming to a close ...

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Did you get your mustang home?
You could always put your stock half shafts back in and drive your car home.
Good Luck

OP
OP
olaosunt

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you get your mustang home?
You could always put your stock half shafts back in and drive your car home.
Good Luck

Thanks man.No it’s still there.

Still trying to figure out how to get it home . Lol
I know swapping a half shaft on jack stands can be done . I actually “lent “ one of the my service techs a drivers side one when his broke at the local track .
Unfortunately the other stock set (off one of the other cars) is lying around the shop and won’t be able to get it till Monday .

Even if I had it on hand , I neither have the mechanical knowhow or the tools to do it myself .

I would probably have to pay a mechanic (one of the techs ) to drive up with me to have it done at the track .
One of the local tow companies (I am a regular . Lol) has offered to go get the car .
It won’t be cheap(nothing about these “1000 hp” cars ever is ) but that’s looking like my best now.
Sponsored