Annoyed with the attention

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
When I want a totally mindless drive where I am truly ignored, over in my slow lane, I take out my Prius.
You might get a different kind of attention in that:

:D

I'm 65, after a motorcycle wreck, various 3 and 4 wheeler incidents and
heart surgery, I've found the easiest way to negotiate these cars as well as
my wife's Sky is to open the door, back in and sit down, then turn.
To get out, it is pretty much the same; open door, turn left, put feet down and lean
forward while standing up. (probably helps to put hand on seat & push while standing)
But this requires you to open wide the door, which isn't always possible. If there's another car parked close to you, this method won't work.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So I live in Bulgaria, Europe. Our average car park is 20 years old if you have a car made after 2000 it's considered new. So there were only 18 S550 Mustang's sold here and they are probably around 30 in the country. We know each other as it's very small community of Mustang owners. However in the country we have 5 or so Grabber Blue Mustangs. Ether way it's almost everyday that I get such attention. Some times it's great sometimes when you are not in a mood is annoying. Also regarding racing here everything is old, cheap and heavy modified we have tons of 2.8i Turbocharged E36 rolling the streets and one of the first times I was running my car one of them get me so I know not to race against E36 anymore. One of the most bizzar situations was one day I was just coming out of the race track to go home it's 1 hour interstate drive and as I'm coming to the interstate behind me is a GTS Cayenne that is tailing me so on the on ramp I just floored the car but the Cayenne did the same at one point we were doing 180 km/h and then I had to stop as I needed fuel so I stopped for fuel and the Cayenne stopped behind me and the guy just wanted to chat with me about my car. That was nice encounter. Here everything german is super common and old Cayenne's and Q7 are everywhere. This is why I got the Mustang because I love driving different cars.

Lancaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang V8 GT Fastback
So I live in Bulgaria, Europe. Our average car park is 20 years old if you have a car made after 2000 it's considered new. So there were only 18 S550 Mustang's sold here and they are probably around 30 in the country. We know each other as it's very small community of Mustang owners. However in the country we have 5 or so Grabber Blue Mustangs. Ether way it's almost everyday that I get such attention. Some times it's great sometimes when you are not in a mood is annoying. Also regarding racing here everything is old, cheap and heavy modified we have tons of 2.8i Turbocharged E36 rolling the streets and one of the first times I was running my car one of them get me so I know not to race against E36 anymore. One of the most bizzar situations was one day I was just coming out of the race track to go home it's 1 hour interstate drive and as I'm coming to the interstate behind me is a GTS Cayenne that is tailing me so on the on ramp I just floored the car but the Cayenne did the same at one point we were doing 180 km/h and then I had to stop as I needed fuel so I stopped for fuel and the Cayenne stopped behind me and the guy just wanted to chat with me about my car. That was nice encounter. Here everything german is super common and old Cayenne's and Q7 are everywhere. This is why I got the Mustang because I love driving different cars.
Mustangs aren’t particularly common in the UK either. I’ve had my Velocity Blue V8 GT just over 2 weeks now and it does get a bit of attention. With the exception of a couple or tailgaters (I look at you Mr Audi S3 driver), all of it has been positive though. As others have said, there seems to be genuine affection for a Mustang, no doubt helped by the fact that it’s a Ford and relatively affordable.

However, I guess you don’t buy a Mustang in the UK without accepting the fact that you’re going to get some attention. I’m quite content with that, even dealing with the idiots who want to race on the road. I either get involved or just pull over and let them pass, which is the majority of the time tbh. It’s good to just cruise in the Mustang and drink in the experience - it’s also good to keep your driving licence and keep your fuel bills as low as possible!!

A previous post does raise an interesting point though about the need to drive fast because you’re late and not just because you’re driving a Mustang and want to race everyone. I haven’t had to do this yet, but inevitably the time will arise. Generally speaking I had no such issues in my previous car, a BMW 435d Gran Coupe, so it will certainly be interesting see the reaction I’ll get from other road users when I am late and I just need to get somewhere quickly!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Mustangs aren’t particularly common in the UK either. I’ve had my Velocity Blue V8 GT just over 2 weeks now and it does get a bit of attention. With the exception of a couple or tailgaters (I look at you Mr Audi S3 driver), all of it has been positive though. As others have said, there seems to be genuine affection for a Mustang, no doubt helped by the fact that it’s a Ford and relatively affordable.

However, I guess you don’t buy a Mustang in the UK without accepting the fact that you’re going to get some attention. I’m quite content with that, even dealing with the idiots who want to race on the road. I either get involved or just pull over and let them pass, which is the majority of the time tbh. It’s good to just cruise in the Mustang and drink in the experience - it’s also good to keep your driving licence and keep your fuel bills as low as possible!!

A previous post does raise an interesting point though about the need to drive fast because you’re late and not just because you’re driving a Mustang and want to race everyone. I haven’t had to do this yet, but inevitably the time will arise. Generally speaking I had no such issues in my previous car, a BMW 435d Gran Coupe, so it will certainly be interesting see the reaction I’ll get from other road users when I am late and I just need to get somewhere quickly!
I've been late a few times, and I would say at least 70% of the time it would trigger people when I would pass them spiritedly, even though it was perfectly safe pass in the passing lane. I remember one time, me doing 93 in a 93 (let's go with that) in the passing lane triggered some base model VW Jetta driver behind me, who proceeded to pass me and the person I was passing all the way on the right, then flying back around me (I let him get in front because I could already tell this was going to get stupid), he then just stays in it all the way to 130+. I only know it was that high because I slapped it down to 5th and decided to use him as the pace car, after a while of accelerating I looked down and was doing 120 in a 120, and I immediately got on the brakes because I had no idea someone would be that crazy in 1PM traffic. The worst part was that he just kept going, swerved around a car in front of him going half his speed, and then took a fairly sharp curve at 100+ before he disappeared. Seems like some people just have to prove they're "faster" than you, when in reality they're just morons.

To be fair, sometimes people see you going fast and want to use you as the pace car, and that's fine. Or they see you going fast as an excuse for them to go fast too for the fun of it. It's all situational, and it's usually pretty obvious which scenario it is.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

DavidinDurango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
My previous car was a yellow Pantera. Talk about attention! Used to bother me no end until one day I was driving through Utah and saw this guy, shovel under chin, working along the highway. You should have seen the smile on his face!!!! Ever since I enjoyed bringing a little joy to others. With the PP2, not so much.
texasfinish.jpg

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
you reverse the process when exiting.
Hey, just poking a little fun at you:

"I'm still in my 20's and there's no graceful way to get out of these cars"

I'm probably double your age. Ass first Jr. Piece of cake.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
My previous car was a yellow Pantera. Talk about attention! Used to bother me no end until one day I was driving through Utah and saw this guy, shovel under chin, working along the highway. You should have seen the smile on his face!!!! Ever since I enjoyed bringing a little joy to others. With the PP2, not so much.
texasfinish.jpg
Do you wish you would have held onto the Pantera? What did you replace it with?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Thanks everyone for chiming in, this has been very entertaining! I am coming to the conclusion that the ruby red gets kind of a reflex reaction from people, it catches their eye and then they look and evaluate what it is that is painted that color and whether they want to do something about it. Probably 80% of conversations start with “love that color”. Took it to work today and damned if it didn’t happen again in the parking lot when I got out. It’s happened in reverse many times where I’m in traffic and all of a sudden something red catches my eye so I look and then see its a Chevy Cobalt or something.

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Two Mustangs. 1st was a 19 Ruby Red GT PP1 six speed with a lot of bolt on options and suspension work. The Ruby Red color and the way the car sat, it just flat indicated speed and stood out. A lot of people would flag me saying nice ride. Mostly kids with beer can mufflers always to race. All except one I ignored..... a kid driving Mommy/Daddies Maserati. He lost when he should have beat me as he did not know how to drive.

Traded the 19GT up to a 19 Roush RS3. I specifically picked this car as it was silver and did not have any of the Roush decals on it. All it has is Roush on the Trunk Panel, Roushcharged decals on the hood and RS3 badging. This car has the top suspensions offered. I also upgraded several suspension items and a full Borla AE Cat Exhaust. It's also been upgraded to the P2 configuration. It's a rocket on four wheels and flat fun to drive.

Basically I fly under the radar as the silver does not stick out. Only those who know cars acknowledge with a nice ride.

Still get a lot of challenges from kids that get a smile from me but are ignored.

mikgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT California Special
So far I've only had good attention when parkec, no foolishness while driving. I used to ride a red Hayabusa, and got quite a bit of attention, loved having camrys challenge me to a roll lol.