Anderson Composites Wing - Fiberglass VS Carbon Fiber? Cracked 🤬

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I've had less than satisfying experiences with AC as well. I would not recommend their products (or service) to anyone. Unfortunately, there are certain areas where they are the only option or, as unfortunate as it is, the best from a relative perspective. Hopefully, you'll be able to find a satisfactory alternative for less than 6K.
Ditto. I would never do business with them again.

Jmesl8er

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 1992 Twin Turbo 300ZX
While I do appreciate an AC product and have some pieces on order, to call out or give comparison here to OE based on a unique failure of your product is a cop out IMO. I ain't the judge and really don't think anyone cares for my opinion here but figured I'd call it as I see it. I've personally run the OE Ford products on the track, daily driving conditions, etc without an ounce or worry and zero failures. Not even close.

According to your records there's a guy in this chat complaining about your product, looking for help on a reasonable resolution and I think you should help him! Just my opinion.
PREACH IT!

OP
OP
GaryGolz

GaryGolz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
According to our records with this purchase, there was no issue with defects. Our fiberglass products do require professional test fitting, prep and finishing for the best results. These style rear spoilers are actually not 1-piece, even the OE Ford units are multiple parts bonded together.
Well, I suppose this may be a new record?

I'm not saying the product is faulty universally, but the facts just don't line up. It was only on the vehicle for 6 months, the vehicle had never been tracked with it, it's failed on the mold where the two pieces are met (from the post with photos it's obviously failed), and the shop that did the professional test fitting, prep, and finishing is extremely reputable. They've done many cars from dailies to exotics in terms of collision fitting, prep, and paint.

https://www.lipcollision.com/ (46 5-star reviews)

Just looking for a resolution without having to be short of the money spent on purchasing the product and also the cost to prep and paint. 😕

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Arghh super shitty experience. REally sucks that AC is doing you dirty here.

Had a similar experience with an HCM spoiler/wing. Failed after a track day at COTA - company was zero help. I ended up pulling it off and pushing down on the mounting support - completely failed. Vowed to never buy from "replica" companies again. They don't do the testing that OEMs do and they won't stand behind the product.

When it comes to stuff like this, either buy OEM or buy from a reputable performance aero company like AJ Hartman Aero, APR, etc.

20180716_144853.jpg

20180716_144843.jpg
20180727_224431.jpg

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
According to our records with this purchase, there was no issue with defects. Our fiberglass products do require professional test fitting, prep and finishing for the best results. These style rear spoilers are actually not 1-piece, even the OE Ford units are multiple parts bonded together.
That's AC for you. Interesting that they mention OEM. Their quality and attention to detail is far inferior to OEM.

OP
OP
GaryGolz

GaryGolz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
According to our records with this purchase, there was no issue with defects. Our fiberglass products do require professional test fitting, prep, and finishing for the best results. These style rear spoilers are actually not 1-piece, even the OE Ford units are multiple parts bonded together.
Are you able to help out with anything? Would be great to find a resolution and avoid any headache, the car is hardly a garage queen and often at shows in the PA/NJ area
Garden State Motor Club Rally May (14).jpg

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
This is quite interesting.
I’m thinking AC could could go a long, long way in changing peoples minds about their products here. It’s a huge opportunity on an open forum to do the right thing.
We’ll see.
It is a huge opportunity. But I think they’re afraid if you help 1 person it will equal 20-50 more people asking. But if a wing comes apart at its seams, that sure seems like a manufacturer defect as that should not occur unless it is hit hard.

one thing that may be causing the failure is the downforce that is being produced may be too strong for the fiberglass and resin. Depending on the manufacturing procedure, it may be wet lay with polyester resin which means it will be weak and resin rich versus a manufacturing process like infusion or pre-impregnated carbon fiber. A long way of saying: the wing may mot be able to sustain its structure with the downforce loads that it is seeing.

My two cents as a composites expert.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'm not a fan of fiberglass for structural parts. Cosmetic and to a low load aero, it's fine, but for something that sees the forces that an R wing will see, it's just asking too much of the material given the dimensional constraints of mimicking the OEM piece, which is obviously much stronger, both in absolute strength and force for size and force for weight.

Obviously tracking a car is more abuse, but for something as brittle as fiberglass, it only takes one time to exceed its yield, so a jaunt to 140 mph one time is enough to Crack or fail it, doesn't take repeated abuse.

There's a reason the "cheap" knockoffs flutter and flex, the material just isn't up to task. Imagine a 350 lb man laying across the wing, do you get the feeling that a fiberglass piece is up to the task? Would you cringe or not sweat it of someone placed a 350 sack of sand on your wing?

I'm not defending Anderson here and I'm not averse to buying more economical parts and materials, but I think the wing, particularly this one is on the far end of the spectrum with regard to looks vs function. Hoods fenders, etc probably okay. A long bridged 5' across trying to transfer a distributed load of over 300 lbs is a tall task.

Shame on any vendor who doesn't test or verify that their product will hold up, but I'll summarize by saying maybe the R wing isn't something that's a good item made out of alternate materials

Sponsored

Socalrugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4111
It is a huge opportunity. But I think they’re afraid if you help 1 person it will equal 20-50 more people asking. But if a wing comes apart at its seams, that sure seems like a manufacturer defect as that should not occur unless it is hit hard.
just my opinion but if they get 20-50 more people asking for help, those people should receive it. The appearance is Anderson is hiding behind their work instead of standing behind it. I was so close to ordering their wing but a lot of their stuff is backordered or out of stock.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Will see if they make the right business decision here. They can take their lumps and secure their future as a stand up company or die a slow painful death by ignoring the obvious.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Will see if they make the right business decision here. They can take their lumps and secure their future as a stand up company or die a slow painful death by ignoring the obvious.
Unfortunately, with the high volume business they have with Ford Performance (GT500 components) and others, they are not likely easily persuaded by complaints coming from individual customers. This is compounded by the lack of competition--low demand product.

OP
OP
GaryGolz

GaryGolz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I completely understand that this may present an opportunity for others owners to try and get a resolution who may have had similar issues but to me, that's a good problem to have instead of neglect to a resolution or a failing product especially in the market they serve.

Was it a product made simply to make money or also serve as a solid option for owners?

I completely agree with @Angrey in terms of coughing up extra cheddar for a much more demanding part on a vehicle - hell, I work for Fabspeed Motorsport and we just released high-flow Sport Cats for the 350/500 and charge a premium, simply because they have HJS German 200 Cell catalysts in them and when someone wants to make power it comes with a price. However, it was backed up by testing and durability, so we're not putting our foot in our mouth if owners have issues.

The facts still remain as the product failing simply after 6 months on a car that isn't meant to be parked all the time and the reply/finger-pointing was at the body shop. What was I supposed to do, mount the wing to the car and drive it for 6 months prior to paint/prep?

Anderson Composites

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.andersoncomposites.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2021 Ford Broncos (2 and 4-door)
We have been making this wing for about 6 years now without any issues. Our carbon fiber version of this wing has been track tested in "real world" applications in speeds up to 120 mph without any issues. At this point regarding this particular wing, we can only recommend taking it to a professional body shop for any necessary repair.
Sponsored