Sponsored

Alignment with Track handling pack

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Over the weekend I installed the track handling pack from Ford Performance.

For Ford Performance Specs alignment they have the following specs for improved handling and response

Front:
Camber -1.55
Toe 0.00

Rear:
Camber -1.98
Toe 0.23

Now, I do take my car to track few times a year, but I am wondering if this setup would be too aggressive for daily driving? Anyone running these specs and have some experience?
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I've run this spec. It's fine for a DD. It is very responsive so it can be a tad twitchy but overall it's great. You'd be just fine.

OP
OP
sonicc

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've run this spec. It's fine for a DD. It is very responsive so it can be a tad twitchy but overall it's great. You'd be just fine.
Have you noticed a significant difference in tire wear?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Have you noticed a significant difference in tire wear?
Hard to say but Ford does indicate that there will be increased tire wear with these settings.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP

For Ford Performance Specs alignment they have the following specs for improved handling and response

Front:
Camber -1.55
Toe 0.00

Rear:
Camber -1.98
Toe 0.23

Now, I do take my car to track few times a year, but I am wondering if this setup would be too aggressive for daily driving? Anyone running these specs and have some experience?
If you do ANY form of aggressive driving, you wont notice tire wear at all. I have run far more negative camber than that on the street and still end up destroying outer shoulders faster than inner shoulders up front and out back.

I run -2.0 up front and -2.2 out back on my car and not by choice (I'd run more up front if I could). Zero toe all the way around. 200 TW extreme summer tires, and not one noticeable ounce of inner tire wear.

Heck, on my 2009 I ran -3.0 of camber up front (and about -0.10 total toe up front) without seeing much wear at all. You'll be fine and I think those specs are still well within what Ford recommends.

Sponsored

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
[MENTION=7039]Whiskey11[/MENTION], what are your thoughts on -2.5 in the front and -2 out back with zero front toe on a track driven daily driver? Trying to find a balance between performance and longevity but will be using R-compound on the track.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
But, you will burn up the tires if you actually take it to the track. You need more camber for track use.

OP
OP
sonicc

sonicc

Mr. Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
But, you will burn up the tires if you actually take it to the track. You need more camber for track use.
What about Gibbo's recommendations, which are supposedly kinda in the middle:

ront camber: -1.33
Front total toe: +0.05
Rear camber: -1.55to1.65
Rear total toe: +0.26

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Front:
Camber -1.55
Toe 0.00

Rear:
Camber -1.98
Toe 0.23

Definitely not too aggressive for daily (though I'd back down the rear a bit to -1.3-1.5). I would up the front to at least -2 to -2.5 for the track.

bandit67

Mustang Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2007 SPJ 302, 2019 Ranger
I have the Ford Performance Track Handling Pack and aligned it to front specs, but could only get to -1.7 on the rear. To me, that setup is perfect for aggressive street driving, canyon carving, etc. As stated, I'd want closer to -2 to -2.5 up front on the track.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
What about Gibbo's recommendations, which are supposedly kinda in the middle:
The middle of what, bad and worse? They look like they are between the stock PP snd standard FRTP settings. So tyey would just burn up your tires faster at the track compared to the Ford Racing settings, which are allready too low.

Remember, when people say you need "more camber" they almost always (and always for autocross/road course use) mean more NEGATIVE camber (which is technically less camber).

-2 to 2.5 is probably a decent compromise for both street & track use, but for dedicated track use or with camber plates you would want to "add" another 0.5 to 1 degree.

Camber by itself usually doesn't hurt tire wear much, except that not having enough at the track can kill your tires pretty quick.

If you never track or autocross the car, the FR Track settings are fine for pure street use.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
The middle of what, bad and worse? They look like they are between the stock PP snd standard FRTP settings. So tyey would just burn up your tires faster at the track compared to the Ford Racing settings, which are allready too low.

Remember, when people say you need "more camber" they almost always (and always for autocross/road course use) mean more NEGATIVE camber (which is technically less camber).

-2 to 2.5 is probably a decent compromise for both street & track use, but for dedicated track use or with camber plates you would want to "add" another 0.5 to 1 degree.

Camber by itself usually doesn't hurt tire wear much, except that not having enough at the track can kill your tires pretty quick.

If you never track or autocross the car, the FR Track settings are fine for pure street use.
So 3-3.5 at the front if running an R-compound by the sounds of it? In that case you'd probably want 2 at the rear (minimum). From my understanding most of the camber plates don't allow more than about -2.5 and to get more you will need camber bolts at the bottom as well?

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I haven't got my plates intalled yet (bought after burning up my RF tire at a track day with the FR recomended alignment settings). But I am hearing people getting -3 to 4 with them maxed out.

I am going to try for -3.5 F, -2.5 R as my starting track settings. Not sure you can get much better than -2 on the back with the stock hardware, so I will probably just max it out and leave it. While I will dial in and out camber on the front for the street and track

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I haven't got my plates intalled yet (bought after burning up my RF tire at a track day with the FR recomended alignment settings). But I am hearing people getting -3 to 4 with them maxed out.

I am going to try for -3.5 F, -2.5 R as my starting track settings. Not sure you can get much better than -2 on the back with the stock hardware, so I will probably just max it out and leave it. While I will dial in and out camber on the front for the street and track
This was my plan too, I'm going to get the shop who does the alignment to do a track and street alignment for the front and mark them on the plate so I can switch to and from.

SidewaysMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Noob question

What am I missing as Ford recommends less neg camber up front but it seems like most are aiming for more neg camber in the front than the rear.

Example;
Ford Front -1.55 Rear -1.98
Here Front -2.50 Rear -2.00

???
Sponsored